Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plasterboard or equivalent for cloakroom project.

For my cloakroom refurbishment project, I am thinking about what do do with
the walls.

These are stud partitions on two walls and have historically had tiles in
specific areas.

Inevitably, their removal has left a mess and I want to tile a somewhat
different area afterwards and paper the rest.

Looking at it, I am beginning to think that it really isn't worth the trouble
of rubbing them down, removing old adhesive and so on.

Plus, I need to introduce some reinforcing structure to support some granite
worktops and to conceal the built in parts of some wall mounted taps.

Hence, ripping out the existing plasterboard and replacing it,appears to be
an increasingly attractive option.

However, I am not sure that I want to go to the trouble of getting a
plasterer in to skim the new plasterboard. I would rather select a
suitable wall board (maybe it is plasterboard) and to just tile and paper
onto that after a suitable surface treatment (or not).

Does anybody have a recommendation of a suitable board that would be
effective for this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:37:01 +0100, Owain wrote
(in article ):

Andy Hall wrote:
For my cloakroom refurbishment project, I am thinking about what do do with
the walls.
However, I am not sure that I want to go to the trouble of getting a
plasterer in to skim the new plasterboard. I would rather select a
suitable wall board (maybe it is plasterboard) and to just tile and paper
onto that after a suitable surface treatment (or not).
Does anybody have a recommendation of a suitable board that would be
effective for this?

What about plastic wall cladding over the whole of the walls? You might
feel it looks rather Public Convenience, but it might make a small room
look larger and less cluttered having only one style of wall finish
throughout. Or tile the whole thing (including the floor).

Owain

Interesting thought but I don't think it would look right. I just ordered
the sanitary and brassware and the style is natural looking materials and
minimalist approach.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
Does anybody have a recommendation of a suitable board that would be
effective for this?

Yes. It is called plasterboard! Specifically 12.5mm taper edge, rather than
straight edge. To join, you need jointing tape and joint filler. There's no
need to paper over it if you fill it right, but you can if you want.

Christian.

Unless it's a particularly large cloakroom a single large sheet would
probably do so there would be no joins except at the corners.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:14:47 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote
(in article ) :

Does anybody have a recommendation of a suitable board that would be
effective for this?

Yes. It is called plasterboard! Specifically 12.5mm taper edge, rather than
straight edge. To join, you need jointing tape and joint filler. There's no
need to paper over it if you fill it right, but you can if you want.

Christian.

OK, thanks Christian. So the purpose of the taper is to provide space for
filler and tape?

Presumably filling can be done with a float followed by a light sanding?

What would one do in preparation for a) tiling and b) wallpaper?
Does it make sense to use PVA or something like that, or is there another way
to avoid a replacement of the plasterboard next time round?

Plasterboard repairs tamtb UK diy 4 July 11th 06 11:29 AM
(OT?) Equivalent drill size for LP Gas (Propane) Bob Chilcoat Metalworking 2 March 7th 06 04:36 AM
Building a cupboard into a (new) plasterboard wall James UK diy 1 May 3rd 04 12:20 PM
Project time management Philosophy Tom Gardner Metalworking 11 October 5th 03 05:40 PM
Fixing plasterboard straight onto a wall Chris Harris UK diy 3 July 10th 03 11:18 PM