Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Edging a pond

I've recently put a pond in the garden using a butyl liner. As it is on a
slope, part of it had to be raised above the lawn to get it level and I used
those log on a roll things to step up from the lawn to the pond level. It's
now full of water and I've trimmed the liner to the wooden edging and then
tucked it back down into the earth. So from the eding in, I now have a
couple of inches of earth, then a couple of inches of liner before the
water. It all looks a bit bare at the moment and we've just bought a bag of
pieces of slate to hide the exposed bit of liner. It looks very artificial
though and I want a more natural look. And there are still bits of liner
showing. Is there some other material I can use to cover the edge with. I
think it needs to be flexible to hang down just into the water to completely
cover the liner. I'm thinking along the lines of cutting up some grass
turves to put round the edges. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks

Nodge

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nodge" wrote in message
news
[...]

You would be better off putting a row of bricks around on top of the liner
and another row in front and a double row on top of the first. Try to keep
the liner hid from sun light and above the grass level. If the grass is
above the liner then there is a chance of the grass clippings when being cut
being shot into the pond water.

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Nodge
writes
[...]

We have found that slates or natural stone crazy paving is the best -
make sure you have plenty of stone on a firm base or the cats, etc. tend
to tip them in. Whilst it starts a bit bare, if you plant a few rockery
type plants in the gaps or creeping plants, it very soon looks natural.
--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 09:10:53 +0100, John wrote:

In article , Nodge
writes
[...]

I'd second that. Our ponds are edged with a natural stone crazy paving, all
firmly set on a bed of concrete. Use fairly large pieces of stone and you
can then ease them out over the edge of the pond for an inch or two, and
don't be stingy with the concrete bedding. Once that goes off the paving is
well and truly anchored into place.

Our ponds are in a longish and narrow part of the garden, with flower/shrub
borders and the rockery of the waterfall all in fairly close proximity. A
mistake we did make was to use about 6" of pea shingle over a membrane on
regular pathways. The edges of the pathways are fairly well defined by the
borders and the pond edges. Pea shingle is fine for areas that aren't going
to be trodden on frequently, but it's a real PITA on the pathways. It tends
to scuff up; you're forever kicking bits into the pond; if you kneel down
to get to the pond or the border, you find your feet tend to push the stuff
up into heaps and expose the membrane. :-(

When we get around to doing a few alterations in that part of the garden,
the pea shingle will be replaced with more crazy paving.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

keith_765 wrote:
You would be better off putting a row of bricks around on top of the
liner and another row in front and a double row on top of the first.
Try to keep
the liner hid from sun light and above the grass level. If the grass
is above the liner then there is a chance of the grass clippings when
being cut being shot into the pond water.

Keith

Not only that, but turves in contact with the water are likely to lower
the pond water level by capillary attraction. They will also be a
bugger to keep neat. Use something non-porous like rocks to cover the
edge of the liner.
--
Geoff Beale
Extract digit to email.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

And I would add a third to that, but raise my own question on the
concrete / mortar for the bedding - I think I laid concrete and then
bedded the crazy paving on that, but I've noticed this year that
several stones near the water fall feed to the pond have lifted. I
suspect frost action and water splashing from the fall as all the
stones the water flows over are OK but a couple on the side have become
loose.

How do you make mortar totally waterproof and tolerant of frost.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
robgraham writes

snip

And I would add a third to that, but raise my own question on the
concrete / mortar for the bedding - I think I laid concrete and then
bedded the crazy paving on that, but I've noticed this year that
several stones near the water fall feed to the pond have lifted. I
suspect frost action and water splashing from the fall as all the
stones the water flows over are OK but a couple on the side have become
loose.

How do you make mortar totally waterproof and tolerant of frost.

Rob

We have two waterfalls in our stream consisting of flat stones bedded on
mortar on the butyl liner. I have tried various techniques to make them
last from adding PVA to the mix, painting with a waterproofing agent,
etc. None of them work and I am resigned to replacing the waterfalls
every 2-3 years when the mortar rots/washes away (since the green algae
gets pretty thick by then it is not much of a problem!).