Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Case studies for cost of restoring properties?

Hi all,

I know this is like asking "how long is a piece of string that you've
never seen" but I'm looking at buying a large 1930s house that needs a
little bit of "refurbishment", non-DIY items include...:

* New windows - probably all out of 20 partly rotten single-glazed
ones (no particular "original features" to restore/keep)
* New "grand staircase" as replacement for a narrow staircase that
was put in to replace the *original* grand staircase (apparently
to gain an extra small bedroom, that I'm willing to lose)
* A "bit of attention" to the tiled roof (a couple of obvious leaky
corners)
* Miscellaneous internal non-bearing walls moved around

Fortunately wiring and plumbing are pretty up-to-date, with bathrooms in
the right places, and no new plumbing going in. Central heating also
seems to be pretty up-to-date. Rot etc. is up to the surveyor to find
and could be a surprise ;-) ...

I know the first step is to get the full structural survey done and then
preferably an architect in *before* deciding to go ahead buying the
place, but it would have been great if someone knew about any resources
or case studies that could be helpful in figuring out whether a
particular project will set one back £20k, £40k, or even more. If I miss
my educated guess by £10k that's no big deal, but if it ends up at £80k
I'll be dead...

Thanks in advance!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Few years back i did a house built in 1932 which hadn;t been touched from
day one with the exception of a single potterton boiler added to provide hot
water to the bathroom and kitchen. New windows, gutters etc, kitchen,
bathrooms, 5 fireplaces, wiring, heating and a complete refurb. 1/2 acre of
garden, driveway etc etc

Took me 3 years and cost about £45K, could have very easily spent another
£20-30. At todays prices and not doing it all myself I would guess circa
£60K.

"oh-news" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

oh-news wrote:
[...]

Full luxury refurb with some structural ******** can be £100-£150 a sq ft.

Compare costs of building new Barrat Superhutch at around £60 a square
foot all in :-).

I'd budget at around £60 a square ft which should give enough to put in
decent kitchens bathrooms, resurface floors, do a bit of cupboarding and
rewire and replumb.

Its amazing how much interiors cost, when you move from £2.50 a square
foot contract carpet to £10 a square foot tiles stone or solid wood..and
start installing lined curtains at £400 a window..with nice poles not
plastic tracks..

A minimal makeover of the basisc might be half that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TonyK wrote:
Few years back i did a house built in 1932 which hadn;t been touched from
day one with the exception of a single potterton boiler added to provide hot
water to the bathroom and kitchen. New windows, gutters etc, kitchen,
bathrooms, 5 fireplaces, wiring, heating and a complete refurb. 1/2 acre of
garden, driveway etc etc

Took me 3 years and cost about £45K, could have very easily spent another
£20-30. At todays prices and not doing it all myself I would guess circa
£60K.

Yes. I'd agree with that, on say a 1000 sq ft property..which is I
suppose a 3-4 bedroom house..

"oh-news" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

* New windows - probably all out of 20 partly rotten single-glazed
ones (no particular "original features" to restore/keep)

These could vary wildly, depending on whether you are replacing with nasty
uPVC, or hardwoord sashes or modern DG Critalls.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
* New windows - probably all out of 20 partly rotten single-glazed
ones (no particular "original features" to restore/keep)

These could vary wildly, depending on whether you are replacing with nasty
uPVC, or hardwoord sashes or modern DG Critalls.

Christian.

Actually, when I had my new oak framed SG leaded lights made uop, they
turned out only 30% more than UPVC, and very similar to any other
hardwood window..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

oh-news wrote:

[...]

You can wave a finger in the air if you want, if I were in your shoes
I'd go get prices for all the big elements at the least. Windows are
easy to get a price for, a grand staircase estimate is more hassle but
could be quite pricey, etc. Then add about 500% Amazing how all
those bits and pieces add up.

NT