Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sealing exterior door frame

The builders have failed on this twice now, so I thought I'd ask around :

There's a gap between the back door frame and the stone wall. About 1/2",
filled with cement, foam, plastic in various places.

Originally that gap was covered by a cement (sand/cement?) fillet/wedge.
That fell off.

Next try was some soft putty-type stuff. It's still quite soft after several
months, it looks somewhat like yellow sand apart from being obviously
puttyish. Applied in the same fillet/wedge as the cement, it lasted a little
longer, but now it's falling off.

Neither of these have managed to adhere to either the stone or the wood
sufficiently.

So, my question is what to try next?

People mention mastics - unfortunately a) I don't know how big a gap they'll
cover and b) what mastic actually is. So can you aim your answers at a
fairly low level of knowledge :-)

TIA,
clive

Sealing shower for 3rd time Haymish Pupkin UK diy 5 June 26th 06 06:11 PM
Sealing Shower Grout jay hey Home Repair 4 November 27th 05 04:12 PM
Sealing a glass hob? newman UK diy 6 September 14th 05 12:06 AM
Sealing around bath (difficult) Stinkoman UK diy 1 April 2nd 05 12:48 PM
Products for sealing Log ends Keith Young Woodturning 5 October 28th 04 05:47 AM