Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom Extrator Fan Problem

Hi,

I've just moved to a new flat. The extrator fan in the bathroom is not
working. It is wired to the light switch and should come on when the
light is switched on and stay on for a while when the light it switched
off. There is a separate switch outside the bathroom door for he fan
which is switched on. The light works fine.

I'm not sure how to start to isolate the problem. Are there fuses that
could be checked, or loose wiring?

Thanks very much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi,

I've just moved to a new flat. The extrator fan in the bathroom is not
working. It is wired to the light switch and should come on when the
light is switched on and stay on for a while when the light it switched
off. There is a separate switch outside the bathroom door for he fan
which is switched on. The light works fine.

I'm not sure how to start to isolate the problem. Are there fuses that
could be checked, or loose wiring?

Thanks very much.

Before the new building regs for electrical work came in on the 1st of
January 2005 I would have replied as follows. You could check that the
wiring to the fan is OK by using either a meter, mains testing screwdriver,
or for best safety, disconnect the fan and connect a bulb holder with light
bulb to the fan cables and see if the bulb lights when the bathroom light is
switched on. Obviously the power should be turned off as appropriate. Having
removed the fan you can also connect it temporarily to the mains and see if
the fan blades rotate. If they don't then it is buggered. In my experience,
bathroom and toilet fans have a limited life span, I have to replace mine
every 2 or 3 years. Post-January 2005, my understanding is that this type of
bathroom electrical work must be done by a "competent person", or if you do
it yourself it must be notified and inspected by the Local Authority
Building Controls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I've just moved to a new flat.

When you say new, do you mean 'new new' or just a new flat to you? If the
former ask the builders to sort it, if the latter you will need to check as
per one of the other replies (or get somebody to check it for you!).

Cheers

John