Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Main Water Tank: - Noisy Ball Valve

Can anyone recommend a quiet ball valve for the main water tank?, I have
seen maker names Torbeck and Fluidmaster, mentioned elsewhere.

Jaymack

Sometimes I sits and thinks, other times I just sits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:33:16 +0100, "John McLean"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a quiet ball valve for the main water tank?, I have
seen maker names Torbeck and Fluidmaster, mentioned elsewhere.

It depends what's causing your current tank to be noisy.

If, like me, you're disturbed by the constant dribble and then drip of
water as the tank finishes filling then, yes, I'd suggest a Torbeck
valve as that worked for me(although it does give a single significant
"thump" as it shuts off which may cause a fair bit of noise if your
pipes are loose)

Cheers,

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 00:06:09 +0100, John Anderton wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a quiet ball valve for the main water tank?, I have
seen maker names Torbeck and Fluidmaster, mentioned elsewhere.

It depends what's causing your current tank to be noisy.

If, like me, you're disturbed by the constant dribble and then drip of
water as the tank finishes filling then, yes, I'd suggest a Torbeck
valve as that worked for me(although it does give a single significant
"thump" as it shuts off which may cause a fair bit of noise if your
pipes are loose)

Cheers,

John

This can be solved with a surge arrester fitted near the valve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a quiet ball valve for the main water tank?, I have
seen maker names Torbeck and Fluidmaster, mentioned elsewhere.

It depends what's causing your current tank to be noisy.

If, like me, you're disturbed by the constant dribble and then drip of
water as the tank finishes filling then, yes, I'd suggest a Torbeck
valve as that worked for me(although it does give a single significant
"thump" as it shuts off which may cause a fair bit of noise if your
pipes are loose)

This can be solved with a surge arrester fitted near the valve.

Do they have an alternative name ? I've just googled that and all I
got was electrical surge protection stuff.

Cheers,

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 00:35:17 +0100, John Anderton wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a quiet ball valve for the main water tank?, I have
seen maker names Torbeck and Fluidmaster, mentioned elsewhere.

It depends what's causing your current tank to be noisy.

If, like me, you're disturbed by the constant dribble and then drip of
water as the tank finishes filling then, yes, I'd suggest a Torbeck
valve as that worked for me(although it does give a single significant
"thump" as it shuts off which may cause a fair bit of noise if your
pipes are loose)

This can be solved with a surge arrester fitted near the valve.

Do they have an alternative name ? I've just googled that and all I
got was electrical surge protection stuff.

Cheers,

John

Sorry, I should have said Shock Arrester. These are like a small pressure
vessel that would be used on a heating system, but about the size of a fist.
There is a diaphragm inside. When the tank valve closes and there is a
resulting thump, the arrester absorbs most of the shock and reduces the
noise. You could also check that the correct flow insert has been used in
the valve. The thump is made worse if the pressure and flow rate are too
high.

www.bes.ltd.uk

part no. 11355

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:11:50 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Sorry, I should have said Shock Arrester. These are like a small pressure
vessel that would be used on a heating system, but about the size of a fist.
There is a diaphragm inside. When the tank valve closes and there is a
resulting thump, the arrester absorbs most of the shock and reduces the
noise. You could also check that the correct flow insert has been used in
the valve. The thump is made worse if the pressure and flow rate are too
high.

www.bes.ltd.uk

part no. 11355

Thanks for that. I may install one of those if things get noisy
(currently the thump is akin to the noise you'd get shutting a kitchen
cabinet door, you can hear that it's happened but it's not deafening
or anything)

Cheers,

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've got a torbeck in the toilet systern (bottom entry) and a
fluidmaster in the hot water header tank.
Both work well.
The torbeck is silent but I don't think it would have enough flow for
the hot water, (perhaps they make bigger ones). When I fitted a new
bathroom suite I transferred it to the new systern rather than fit the
ball cock that was supplied. I've got a spare diaphragm for it
(somewhere) but I've never needed it.

The fluidmaster is easy to fit and doesn't flex the side of the tank
like the Victorian ball cock fitted by the plumber so I don't get that
psst....psst...psst.... sound as the water slops back and forth in the
tank.

In message , John McLean
writes

--
Neil J. Harris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 22:07:35 +0100, Neil J. Harris wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I have a good solution that addresses both issues - i.e. quietness and
getting enough flow for the tank in the loft.

I fitted two Torbeck valves to the tank. This gives plenty of flow into
the tank as follows:

- One valve is set to operate on/off at a higher level than the other. This
higher one is fitted with the high pressure restrictor as recommended by the
manufacturer. This is to prevent water hammer and to ensure correct
operation of the mechanism.

- The second valve is set to open lower and is fitted with low pressure
restrictor. However, this one opens second and closes first as the level
rises. There is plenty of flow through it and when it closes, no thump
because the first valve is still open.

- For small amounts of water drawn off, only the first valve opens. For
larger amounts the second one does as well.

It works very effectively and Torbeck valves are very inexpensive so two is
not a major investment.

I have done the same with Fluidmaster valves. However, in general I have not
found them to be as reliable as the Torbeck. A typical problem is that the
float seems to stick, so I threw mine out.

can you weld a pinhole in a water tank? Grant Erwin Metalworking 33 April 20th 18 01:18 PM
Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
preparing a propane tank for reusal .. pix Grant Erwin Metalworking 5 January 26th 05 05:54 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
moving water main valve Cory Lechner Home Repair 12 December 31st 03 01:43 AM