Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Self-regulating pumps

Anyone out there with much experience of self-regulating CH pumps? Had a
quick look in the FAQ, but nothing to be found!

Replacing my boiler in the next few weeks, and I'm wondering whether to go
with one of these. The relatively small price differential, given the
overall cost of the change, suggests it's worth doing.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer wrote:
Anyone out there with much experience of self-regulating CH pumps? Had a
quick look in the FAQ, but nothing to be found!

Replacing my boiler in the next few weeks, and I'm wondering whether to go
with one of these. The relatively small price differential, given the
overall cost of the change, suggests it's worth doing.

You can save pump electricity, but slowing the pump does reduce boiler
efficiency to a limited extent. Not sure I'd bother.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 20:53:44 +0100, The Wanderer wrote
(in article ):

Anyone out there with much experience of self-regulating CH pumps? Had a
quick look in the FAQ, but nothing to be found!

Replacing my boiler in the next few weeks, and I'm wondering whether to go
with one of these. The relatively small price differential, given the
overall cost of the change, suggests it's worth doing.

Yes I think so.

I had one of these on my main system prior to changing the boiler for one
incorporating a pump fully modulated by the boiler electronics.

I now have this (Grundfos Alpha) on my secondary garage circuit.

They are useful if you are using TRVs because as they close (or rather
restrict) and the water flow reduces, the pump will detect that and begin to
back off. Thus you don't have the compromise between sufficient preset
flow rate to deliver the required heat when the valves are open wide and
having system noise because it's battling against almost closed TRVs.

The other aspect is that the build quality of these is pretty good in
comparison with the cheap generics on the market.