Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bookworm

Default Cleaning Plastic Bath

My plastic bath is not shining like it used to. I know I must not use
an abrasive cleaner but how can I restore it to its original shine?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pinot Grigio

My plastic bath is not shining like it used to. I know I must not use
an abrasive cleaner but how can I restore it to its original shine?

I was once recommended T-Cut for cars but have never actually tried it. Has
anyone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

I was once recommended T-Cut for cars but have never actually tried it. Has
anyone?

T-Cut is a fine abrasive. It may work but will leave a micro-scratched
surface that's likely to hold dirt and stains. Using a car polish
either afetr or instaed of T-Cut may work but the bath will be slippery
so be carefull. I've used car polish on dulled UPVC windows before and
it works well.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
John wrote:
I was once recommended T-Cut for cars but have never actually tried
it. Has anyone?

T-Cut is a fine abrasive. It may work but will leave a micro-scratched
surface that's likely to hold dirt and stains.

Then the same would apply to car paint?

If the plastic is acrylic (Perspex) polishing it with a fine abrasive will
be ok.

--
*Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Bookworm wrote:
My plastic bath is not shining like it used to. I know I must not use
an abrasive cleaner but how can I restore it to its original shine?

Its more than lilely a build up of body fat. Get a good quality bathroom
cleaner and a white scourer and use some elbow grease.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

"Bookworm" wrote:
My plastic bath is not shining like it used to. I know I must not use
an abrasive cleaner but how can I restore it to its original shine?

According to http://www.bathroom-association.org/faq-baths.asp: Clean your
bath using only a soft cloth and warm soapy water. Rinse and wipe dry with a
dry clean soft cloth. DO NOT use abrasive compounds, pads, cloths or creams
as these will damage the surfaces.

A bit unrealistic! Do you live in a hard water area? If so, the matt finish
could be limescale. Vinegar should remove that, or any bath cleaning spray
which states on the label suitable for acrylic baths.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Bookworm wrote:
My plastic bath is not shining like it used to. I know I must not use
an abrasive cleaner but how can I restore it to its original shine?

A very mild abrasive...T-cut - works.

But first of all try a good de-scaling..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Bookworm wrote:
My plastic bath is not shining like it used to. I know I must not use
an abrasive cleaner but how can I restore it to its original shine?

Its more than lilely a build up of body fat. Get a good quality bathroom
cleaner and a white scourer and use some elbow grease.

Isn't that body fat too? ;-)

BTW, don't use any type of scourer on a plastic bath.
A brush (washing up type) or cloth, used with a good bath
cleaner, will shift that residue (mixture of fat, scum,
and hard water).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bookworm" wrote in message
ups.com...
My plastic bath is not shining like it used to. I know I must not use
an abrasive cleaner but how can I restore it to its original shine?

What I use is Flash Bathroom spray - spray on leave about 15 minutes and
easily wipe/hose off. The bath has stayed shiny for about 10 years. Just
be very careful with the fittings as it removes gold plate as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
John wrote:
T-Cut is a fine abrasive. It may work but will leave a micro-scratched
surface that's likely to hold dirt and stains.

Then the same would apply to car paint?

In my experience it does. I always follow T-Cut with polish for that
reason. T-Cut leaves my car paint looking quite dull but that's on
celulose which is quite soft. A good quality polish then brings up a
shine. On black celulose, the only polish I can find that works is
Johnsons Wax. B/Y hard work but looks lovely.

My old Rover used to be black cellulose and compounding brought up a good
shine - although I prefer Farecla to T-Cut. Obviously, a good wax can
improve that shine, but I certainly wouldn't have called it dull.

--
*Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

BTW, don't use any type of scourer on a plastic bath.
A brush (washing up type) or cloth, used with a good bath
cleaner, will shift that residue (mixture of fat, scum,
and hard water).

Micro fibre cloths work really well.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My old Rover used to be black cellulose and compounding brought up a good
shine - although I prefer Farecla to T-Cut. Obviously, a good wax can
improve that shine, but I certainly wouldn't have called it dull.

Perhaps dull is an overstatement but I could easily see how far I'd got
when waxing a panel. The extra shine was quite noticable. The finish
looked OK after T-Cut but the improvement after waxing was worth it.
Hopefully that's what the O/P wants. He may decide to stop with the
T-Cut finish if he goes that route though.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bookworm wrote:
My plastic bath is not shining like it used to. I know I must not use
an abrasive cleaner but how can I restore it to its original shine?

Brasso is pretty good if it's really bad (though it *is* abrasive, of
course)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pinot Grigio" someone@somewhere wrote in
:

What I use is Flash Bathroom spray - spray on leave about 15 minutes
and easily wipe/hose off. The bath has stayed shiny for about 10
years. Just be very careful with the fittings as it removes gold
plate as well.

I swear by Flash for most things (windows, floors) and I just tried a bit
on my mucky bath, and it was pretty good.

But I think it needed a bit extra for hard water deposits, so bathroom
cleaner might be the thing.

Had a bit of trouble with the coal dust though.

Aussie joke: How do you get an Englishman out of the bath?

Put some water in.

mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fill it with hot water. Tip in half a box of Bio Washing Powder [NOT
liquid], agitate the muck with a soft nail brush.
Leave over night. Rinse. Job done

Steel Bath or Plastic Stuart UK diy 3 March 15th 06 09:30 AM
Cleaning enamel bath Mogweed UK diy 12 September 18th 05 11:16 PM
Plastic bath movement, sealing Forgone Conclusion UK diy 3 January 21st 04 08:41 AM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 08:49 PM
Cleaning outside of Cast Iron bath for Painting Rob Graham UK diy 4 July 21st 03 08:56 AM