Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do I fit a replacement UPCV Front Door + Frame?

Hi, can anyone help?

I am told it is quite straight forward and I am a competent DIY'er so
am very keen to give it a go.

My House was built approx 1930 and has 75mm wall cavity. It looks as
though someone has replace the frame and door at some time in the past
as the frame is between the plaster on the inside wall skin.

The outside wall does not continue under the door with any DPC as it is
just concrete which is part of the front step (same height as DPC). I
dont know how far under the door the concrete goes but I am assuming
there is a gap between the concrete step and the internal wall.

The internal wall door opening width from plaster to plaster is 910mm
and from DPC to plaster at top is 2170mm. I could take the plaster off
the intenal wall which would make the opening approx 930mm x 2180mm.

The outside opening is 850mm from brick to brick and from step to door
lintel is 2170mm.

Some people say bed the cill on motar, then fit the door to cill, some
say screw the cill to the bottom of the door then be the whole lot onto
a couple of beads of low mod silcione.

If the 75mm UPVC frame is fitted to the gap on the inside wall, it will
not bridge the gap and butt up against the outside wall. Should cavity
closers be used? or is expanding foam ok? I assume that the UPVC
finishing trom will cover the gap anyway.

Any help would be good or an illustration would be fantastic. I have
trawled the web but couldn find anything.

Thanks again in advance

Jimmy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
wrote:
Hi, can anyone help?

I am told it is quite straight forward and I am a competent DIY'er so
am very keen to give it a go.

Dunno about a front door, but I bought a UPVC window and patio doors from
Screwfix and they came with comprehensive DIY fitting instructions.
The important thing with both those was to mount the frame true and square
and not under undue stress at any point. I used multiple wedges to achieve
this

--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

wrote:
[...]

Door fitting instructions he
http://www.conservatories.tv/install...des/doors.aspx

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Phil Anthropist wrote:
Door fitting instructions he
http://www.conservatories.tv/install...des/doors.aspx

Comes out as gobbledygook - isn't a proper PDF?

--
*Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Phil Anthropist wrote:

Door fitting instructions he
http://www.conservatories.tv/install...des/doors.aspx

Comes out as gobbledygook - isn't a proper PDF?

Works fine he take it you are looking at this?
http://www.conservatories.tv/installation-guides/pdfs/DoorInstallationGuide.pdf

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Door fitting instructions he
http://www.conservatories.tv/install...des/doors.aspx

Comes out as gobbledygook - isn't a proper PDF?

Works fine he take it you are looking at this?
http://www.conservatories.tv/installation-guides/pdfs/DoorInstallationGuide.pdf

The other PDFs on the site work ok - just not the door one.

--
*Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
gort

The other PDFs on the site work ok - just not the door one.

Door one works here using Firefox and Adobe Acrobat 7 under linux.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many thanks for all the help, I managed to view PDF document ok,

I understand the need to have the frame true and square, but should I
fit cavity closers?

The PDF document says butt up to plaster line but the internal wall is
bigger than the external wall so my door will have to be fitted from
inside (it will open inwards). Should I take the plaster off the inside
wall and screw frame direct to the brick without too much of a gap?

After I have squared the frame between the brickwork on the inside
wall, the 70mm frame does not reach the outside wall skin (I know I
said 75mm - I am competent, just illiterate!)

Do I just fill the gap with expanding foam or do I need to line the
inside of the external wall with timber to butt the UPVC frame against.

Or just hide the gap with UPVC finishing strips.

many thanks
Jimmy