Posted to uk.d-i-y
THOMAS PATTON

Default earth bonding plastic pipes query

Hi all
I am building an ensuite bathroom and have almost finished.The bathroom
contains bidet wc handbasin and power shower.All the plumbing is in plastic
including the central heating radiator.
Do I need to earth bond the metal taps and the metal radiator.
Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

THOMAS PATTON wrote:

I am building an ensuite bathroom and have almost finished.The bathroom
contains bidet wc handbasin and power shower.All the plumbing is in plastic
including the central heating radiator.
Do I need to earth bond the metal taps and the metal radiator.

No, but if the power shower unit is the type with a built-in electric
pump and you have mains-voltage lights, a fan or shaver point within the
defined zones you will need to bond together the earths of the circuit
which feeds the shower pump, and the lighting circuit.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
THOMAS PATTON

I am building an ensuite bathroom and have almost finished.The bathroom
contains bidet wc handbasin and power shower.All the plumbing is in
plastic including the central heating radiator.
Do I need to earth bond the metal taps and the metal radiator.

No, but if the power shower unit is the type with a built-in electric pump
and you have mains-voltage lights, a fan or shaver point within the
defined zones you will need to bond together the earths of the circuit
which feeds the shower pump, and the lighting circuit.

Zone 1 contains a fan-but-Ive fitted a 12 volt fan with the transformer
installed in the loft space above the en-suite.
The shower is a Mira event xs thermostatic with a built in pump-it has its
own earth connected via the lighting circuit earth.
The light is a sealed type for bathrooms again connected to the lighting
circuit earth.
There is no other electric point or appliance within the en-suite.
Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

THOMAS PATRON wrote:

Zone 1 contains a fan-but-Ive fitted a 12 volt fan with the transformer
installed in the loft space above the en-suite.
The shower is a Mira event xs thermostatic with a built in pump-it has its
own earth connected via the lighting circuit earth.
The light is a sealed type for bathrooms again connected to the lighting
circuit earth.
There is no other electric point or appliance within the en-suite.
Tom

In that case it sounds as if no supplementary bonding is required. I'm
not sure that feeding the power shower unit from the lighting circuit is
a good idea though - it's more usual to feed these from a ring circuit
via an FCU. I looked at the Mira instructions: the loading is only 150
watts, which is unlikely to worry your lighting circuit too much, but
you might find that the starting current of the pump motor causes a
noticeable dip or blink in the lights. I presume you've provided an
isolator, 3 A fuse and RCD, as recommended in the instructions.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
[...]

The fan transformer and the pump both have independant 3 amp fused supplies
off the lighting circuit.
I take your point about the lights dipping - if its a problem I can take
power from the ring main.
RCD is a problem since the main board is 1974 fuse wire type set up.Im very
reluctant to have RCDs anywhere-my experience of them is that they are
oversensitive-a pain in the posterior-.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

RCD is a problem since the main board is 1974 fuse wire type set up.Im
very
reluctant to have RCDs anywhere-my experience of them is that they are
oversensitive-a pain in the posterior-.

Your experience is either of a poorly designed system, or a poorly
maintained one.

The only times my RCDs have ever tripped is when I've stuck my RCD tester on
them and hit "Test". (Actually, the earth loop tester can have a similar
effect...)

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Christian McArdle wrote:

Your experience is either of a poorly designed system, or a poorly
maintained one.

The only times my RCDs have ever tripped is when I've stuck my RCD tester on
them and hit "Test". (Actually, the earth loop tester can have a similar
effect...)

I agree entirely, however BS 7671 does allow a shower pump in Zone 1
without RCD protection [Reg. 601-09-02], so omission of the RCD here
won't violate the wiring regs, only the manufacturer's instructions.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"THOMAS PATTON" writes:
RCD is a problem since the main board is 1974 fuse wire type set up.Im very
reluctant to have RCDs anywhere-my experience of them is that they are
oversensitive-a pain in the posterior-.

Back in 1999/2000, I fitted an RCD protected CU to my parents' 1955
(PVC) installation, and they've not had a single false trip. There's
no reason a 1974 install should be leaking.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Earth Bonding Pedge UK diy 8 February 9th 05 11:01 AM
Earth bonding at Consumer Unit. chris French UK diy 20 September 23rd 04 02:56 PM
Generator Grounding PoP UK diy 10 November 13th 03 12:29 PM
Earthing Sparks UK diy 10 October 29th 03 01:27 AM
Plastic Pipes in central heating Zetor UK diy 6 August 2nd 03 12:18 PM