Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

Default block driveway

Hi could someone give me a rough idea what it would cost to have my
presently slabbed and gravelled driveway redone in blocks? Size is roughly
20 square metres. The only DIY I will be doing is lifting the slabs and
covering the grass out the back with them.
Thanks Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Mark wrote:
Hi could someone give me a rough idea what it would cost to have my
presently slabbed and gravelled driveway redone in blocks? Size is
roughly 20 square metres. The only DIY I will be doing is lifting the
slabs and covering the grass out the back with them.
Thanks Mark

If you want the bog standard red or brindle with a black border or any
mixture of these 3 colours, then it works out at around £35 per sq metre,
although smaller jobs (like yours) tend to be slightly higher due to the
fact that deliveries, skips and plant hire are the same even if the area was
twice the size IYSWIM...certainly no more than £38 around here (NW England)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Phil L wrote:
Mark wrote:

Hi could someone give me a rough idea what it would cost to have my
presently slabbed and gravelled driveway redone in blocks? Size is
roughly 20 square metres. The only DIY I will be doing is lifting the
slabs and covering the grass out the back with them.

See the Paving Expert site at:
http://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks.htm#price

If you want the bog standard red or brindle with a black border or any
mixture of these 3 colours, then it works out at around £35 per sq metre,
although smaller jobs (like yours) tend to be slightly higher due to the
fact that deliveries, skips and plant hire are the same even if the area was
twice the size IYSWIM...certainly no more than £38 around here (NW England)

I assume the above is for materials only, though?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
somebody

In message , Mark
writes
Hi could someone give me a rough idea what it would cost to have my
presently slabbed and gravelled driveway redone in blocks? Size is roughly
20 square metres. The only DIY I will be doing is lifting the slabs and
covering the grass out the back with them.
Thanks Mark

East of England, about 45 GBP per sqm - all in. Groundwork, clearing,
digging, disposal, laying, materials - everything. Oh and a (reputable)
five year guarantee.

Someone
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Lobster wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Mark wrote:

Hi could someone give me a rough idea what it would cost to have my
presently slabbed and gravelled driveway redone in blocks? Size is
roughly 20 square metres. The only DIY I will be doing is lifting
the slabs and covering the grass out the back with them.

See the Paving Expert site at:
http://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks.htm#price

If you want the bog standard red or brindle with a black border or
any mixture of these 3 colours, then it works out at around £35 per
sq metre, although smaller jobs (like yours) tend to be slightly
higher due to the fact that deliveries, skips and plant hire are the
same even if the area was twice the size IYSWIM...certainly no more
than £38 around here (NW England)

I assume the above is for materials only, though?

David

Nope, that's for digging out, 150mm of compacted MOT, 50mm of grit sand and
block paving, finished with dried Southport sand, making good, skips, plant
hire and labour....as you can imagine, I don't go short of work very often,
but I don't need a lot of money to live on, £120 per day is ample...as a
guide, the above drive of 20m would take the following materials:
Skip = £80
MOT (3 tonne) = £81
Sand (1 tonne) = £27
Blocks = £180
Whacker hire = £18
Finishing sand = £10
Sundries (petrol, deliveries etc) = £10
TOTAL= £436

2 and half days labour@ £120 = £300
Grand Total = £736

....add on 30 - 40 for the taxman or other unforseen expenses and it arrives
at £760, which equates to £38 per metre, I can do it for £35 if it's 80m or
bigger and make £150 per day easily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Nope, that's for digging out, 150mm of compacted MOT, 50mm of grit sand
and

block paving, finished with dried Southport sand, making good, skips,
plant hire and labour....as you can imagine, I don't go short of work very
often, but I don't need a lot of money to live on, £120 per day is
ample...as a guide, the above drive of 20m would take the following
materials:
Skip = £80
MOT (3 tonne) = £81

OK I may br 'thick' but what is MOT? I'ne been racking my brain but cannot
think what it is an acronym for, obviously some kind of hardcore but what?

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

John wrote:

what is MOT?

http://www.aggregain.org.uk/terminology/mot_1.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

John wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Nope, that's for digging out, 150mm of compacted MOT, 50mm of grit sand
and

block paving, finished with dried Southport sand, making good, skips,
plant hire and labour....as you can imagine, I don't go short of work very
often, but I don't need a lot of money to live on, £120 per day is
ample...as a guide, the above drive of 20m would take the following
materials:
Skip = £80
MOT (3 tonne) = £81

OK I may br 'thick' but what is MOT? I'ne been racking my brain but cannot
think what it is an acronym for, obviously some kind of hardcore but what?

Ministry of Transport Type I approved for use as substrate for roads.
== Crushed compacted limestone.

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed D Ball

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Lobster wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Mark wrote:

[...]

Would you work in Liverpool ?
My drive is 20 Sq m and have been quoted 1200 labour plant and materials for
flags or 1250 for block paving (with 12 m of edgings). I thought the going
rate was 70/Sq m?
One clown round here with a landscape gardening qualification quoted
3500!!!! The drive is still only 20 Sq m
I knew a bloke charging 40/ Sq m 10 years ago and was always busy.
Your post has cheered me up no end
Ed

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Ed D Ball wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message

[...]

I'll work in some parts of Liverpool yes....the closer to St Helens the
better.
I'm fully booked until the end of September though

Driveway drainage Mark UK diy 8 August 2nd 05 01:31 AM
What "seals" a concrete block and stucco house from rain? Vinnie Murdico Home Repair 2 September 14th 04 02:57 PM
Rain seeping inside through concrete block wall above grade (Warning: LONG explanation) Vinnie Murdico Home Repair 9 September 8th 04 02:43 AM
help, concrete driveway rising up lucy Home Repair 6 November 16th 03 11:32 AM
driveway storm drain getting clogged with dirt Rachel Smith Home Repair 1 August 26th 03 09:14 AM