Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which Mira shower for a combi?

Can someone who knows more about showers than me (not difficult) advise
on which Mira shower to get (for our new en suite)?

We are getting a Worcester Bosch Highflow 440 combi boiler. We
currently have a Mira Combiforce 415 in one bathroom (been there for 10
years) and it works very well. The easy choice is to just get another
- I'm amazed and impressed to see they still make it!

Alternatively, I'm tempted to go for one that offers control of flow
rate. This may prove useful as my wife sometimes complains it comes out
too fast!

Problem is that there seems to be such a confusing range of models. Are
the differences merely in terms of style, ot are the differences more
than skin deep? Can anyone advise or make a recommendation, and alos
advise of the cheapest place to buy? Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keiron
First of all good choice in boiler type, you should not be
disappointed.

As to the shower choice, it is really a case of which style you prefer.
You should however opt for a thermostatic mixer, so that the
temperature does not vary if boiler demand changes. As well as looking
at Mira, I would also strongly suggest Triton for cost whilst still
maintaining quality, and also Grohe for shear quality. If you go for a
thermostatic mixer shower then just do a final check to ensure that it
is suitable for combi... most are. The mira that you have is
specifically designed for a combi, but you pay for it and IHMO there is
little or no gain... but am willing to be proved wrong by others in the
group.

One thing to stay clear of is a multi jet shower since it would require
too much demand of the combi especially if another person is using hot
water at the same time.

Calum Sabey (NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Best install a high flowrate multi-point which can cope with a multi-jet
shower. The problem with multi-jets is that they require large cylinders due
to the high shower flowrates, which are very expensive and take up lots of
space, not to mention the weight. A high flow Rinnai or Andrews multi-point
water heater, which can be fitted outside the house on the wall, never runs
out of hot water, and you can have shower after shower and purchase costs
are cheaper than large cylinders, and all that space saved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
ups.com...
Can someone who knows more about showers than me (not difficult) advise
on which Mira shower to get (for our new en suite)?

We are getting a Worcester Bosch Highflow 440 combi boiler. We
currently have a Mira Combiforce 415 in one bathroom (been there for 10
years) and it works very well. The easy choice is to just get another
- I'm amazed and impressed to see they still make it!

The 415 has an integral pressure equalizing valve. So when pressure is
robbed from, either the hot or cold supply it immediately compensates. It
is not thermostatic. It doesn't need to be as the combi delivers a constant
water temperature. Thermostatic mixer valves are mainly for cylinders were
the water temperature can vary markedly from top to bottom

Alternatively, I'm tempted to go for one that offers control of flow
rate. This may prove useful as my wife sometimes complains it comes out
too fast!

You can use a thermostatic valve with greater control, but if no integral
pressure equalisation valve, some are thermostatic and have an equalisation
valve, you can install one just before the mixer valve.

Problem is that there seems to be such a confusing range of models.

There are. But most is just style. Once you understand the basics you can
get around it. Triton do a non-thermostatic combi version with good control
of flow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Doctor Drivel wrote:

The 415 has an integral pressure equalizing valve. So when pressure is
robbed from, either the hot or cold supply it immediately compensates.
It is not thermostatic. It doesn't need to be as the combi delivers a
constant water temperature.

The highflow may be an exception, but these valves have always seemed a
bit daft for most combis that don't deliver constant temperature water...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

The 415 has an integral pressure equalizing valve. So when pressure is
robbed from, either the hot or cold supply it immediately compensates.
It is not thermostatic. It doesn't need to be as the combi delivers a
constant water temperature.

The highflow may be an exception, but these valves have always seemed a
bit daft for most combis that don't deliver constant temperature water...

Most combis have a temperature controlled outlet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Most combis have a temperature controlled outlet.

Which sets the maximum temperature and not the minimum.

Once the maximum power output of the combi is reached, the temperature
will vary in sympathy with flow rate demand.

--
Cheers,

John.

Ungumming a Mira shower lonestar UK diy 7 November 29th 05 08:18 AM
new combi experience report Fred UK diy 12 December 5th 04 09:11 PM
Mira Shower Query Rakster UK diy 1 May 26th 04 02:05 PM
Mira 415 shower mixer unit or any Mira shower mixer unit Mr Blue Skye UK diy 7 January 19th 04 08:36 PM
Mira Shower Problems dave cunningham UK diy 2 January 9th 04 05:23 PM