Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Carlyle-Clarke

Default Wooden floors

Got 26 sq. m. of floor to lay on concrete. As well as tiles or stone,
I'm considering wood. It's a porch/hall area, so quite high traffic.
I'm quite interested in some of the engineered wood floors (e.g. Kahrs,
Natura) with the 3 to 5 mm of wood, so that they can be sanded. Does
anyone know how they stand up over time, especially since we have a
labrador?

The other option I've seen is solid wood floor designed to glue
straight down on to concrete, after testing the moisture content and
applying a latex screed of some type. I always thought you couldn't
lay solid wood right onto concrete, but I'm assured by the flooring
shop you can. Are they right?

I've seen you can also get some solid wood floor designed to float,
from Junckers, but that is pretty expensive.

Because of levels, there's no room to fit batons and nail.

Any comments or advice appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:

[...]

why get crappy 'engineered' flooring when you can use real wood. Lay it
on a sheet of soft squishy stuff for best results. Wood is pretty
cheap, and makes a nice floor.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:
Got 26 sq. m. of floor to lay on concrete. As well as tiles or stone,
I'm considering wood. It's a porch/hall area, so quite high traffic.
I'm quite interested in some of the engineered wood floors (e.g. Kahrs,
Natura) with the 3 to 5 mm of wood, so that they can be sanded. Does
anyone know how they stand up over time, especially since we have a
labrador?

The other option I've seen is solid wood floor designed to glue
straight down on to concrete, after testing the moisture content and
applying a latex screed of some type. I always thought you couldn't
lay solid wood right onto concrete, but I'm assured by the flooring
shop you can. Are they right?

I see no reason why you cant' lay T & G straight onto a dry and DPC'ed
concrete..

Expansion is the main problem, but with T & G, just use glue down the
middle and lay in midsummer, when humidity indoors is at its highest.

I've seen you can also get some solid wood floor designed to float,
from Junckers, but that is pretty expensive.

Because of levels, there's no room to fit batons and nail.

Any comments or advice appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:
Got 26 sq. m. of floor to lay on concrete. As well as tiles or stone,
I'm considering wood. It's a porch/hall area, so quite high traffic.
I'm quite interested in some of the engineered wood floors (e.g. Kahrs,
Natura) with the 3 to 5 mm of wood, so that they can be sanded. Does
anyone know how they stand up over time, especially since we have a
labrador?

The worst problem is pointy high heels (so get your lab to wear flats)
but a lot also depends on the hardness of the wood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:
Got 26 sq. m. of floor to lay on concrete. As well as tiles or stone,
I'm considering wood. It's a porch/hall area, so quite high traffic.
I'm quite interested in some of the engineered wood floors (e.g. Kahrs,
Natura) with the 3 to 5 mm of wood, so that they can be sanded. Does
anyone know how they stand up over time, especially since we have a
labrador?

You pay a premium for Kahrs. We just put down an 'Upofloor' engineered
floor. Looks great, and more reasonably priced than Kahrs.
Can't comment on the durability over time though, as we only just
installed it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

wrote:

You pay a premium for Kahrs. We just put down an 'Upofloor' engineered
floor. Looks great, and more reasonably priced than Kahrs.
Can't comment on the durability over time though, as we only just
installed it.

We did the whole of our "living" area inc. etc 46 Msq. with Khars "Oak
London" We have 2 dogs, one about the weight of a "big" labrador
(Greatdane/greyhound X)

Thought Oak would be resistant to dog claws..... it's not!

The trouble with wood floors is they look great when new, but show up
every dent. up to the point you say bugger it, it's wood, it's a floor,
it's _supposed_ to wear and be used. This point I acheived after about
7 days, I think my partner is _just_ getting to the point of not
worrying 6 months down the line.

When the dog lies down he slides down on his front feet, presumably
trying to gain traction with his claws. This leaves 4 fine lines
indented into the floor.

If he has a flea, he does that scrabling for grip while trying to get to
his back thing. again, more lines.

Now the whole visible surface is becoming distressed you don't notice it
any more. Still make sure shoes are left in the porch and stillettos
are completely forbidden.

Having UFH throughout means folks appreciate the warm floor with no
shoes on.

Personally I don't think We'll ever bother with the hassle of
re-sanding, well, not for a very long time.

HTH
Pete
http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
HLAH

"nafuk" wrote

Friend laid some solid wood floor (Birch, 19mm thick from ebay) on a
new build concrete floor. Used the glue supplied with the planks and a
notched trowle, and white wood glue for the tongue and grooves. Went
down very quickly and looks very nice. Will be getting some myself. He
got it for £20/sq m.

Don't suppose you know which seller it was do you?

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:

Kahrs (for example) engineered flooring uses a cross-bonded plywood base and
a 5/7mm surface layer of the wood that shows

it crosses my small cell that if you want wood on ply, buying wood and
ply would be much cheaper.

NT

questions about waterlox tung oil for old oak floors [email protected] Woodworking 4 April 20th 06 01:16 PM
Tiling on wooden floors Tim Smith UK diy 28 July 31st 05 08:28 AM
Wooden Floors andrewpreece UK diy 6 November 17th 04 11:03 PM
Wooden Floors across different subfloors sg UK diy 2 June 30th 04 02:44 PM
Protecting Laminate and Wooden Floors Stuart UK diy 0 February 24th 04 01:16 PM