Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al D

Default How strong is that black plastic chain from B&Q?

B&Q sells some black plastic chain, with links about 1" wide. I may be
wrong, but I think it is intended for cosmetic use only (as a
metal-chain look-alike).

My question is: How strong is it? Does anyone have any idea? Does
anyone know what kind of plastic it is and if that plastic remains
strong after prolonged exposure to the elements?

B&Q don't state any strength figures - probably because it is not
intended for load-bearing use.

I need a good length rust-proof chain to take some load, and that
black plastic stuff is so much cheaper than galvanised chain. I need
it as an anchor chain for a large canoe. The chain does need some
strength, because large waves can exert considerable stress on the
chain, as the boat is wrenched away from the anchor's position. I
guess 40kg tensile strength would be adequate.

Thank you,

Al D

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al D

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:44:23 +0100, Matt
wrote:

Rope

Nope (-;

Thanks for the suggestion, but rope is subject to chafing on rocks
etc. So they recommend chain, at least for a few yards next to the
anchor.

Al D

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Rope

Nope (-;

Thanks for the suggestion, but rope is subject to chafing on rocks
etc. So they recommend chain, at least for a few yards next to the
anchor.

An anchor *needs* a metal chain for it to work, it's the weight of the
chain that has a considerable part in holding the anchor down so that
it grips.

So I think it would be a bad idea to use plastic chain.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Googlebot

Al D wrote:
[...]

Surely if the waves can exert that much force to break the plastic
chain, they would also swamp and sink the canoe.

Would a length of polypropylene rope not be more suitable? Also you will
damage it by storing it in direct sunlight.

You say canoe, but what type of canoe?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Googlebot wrote:
Al D wrote:
[...]

one shaped like this:
()

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al D

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:01:27 GMT, Googlebot wrote:

Surely if the waves can exert that much force to break the plastic
chain, they would also swamp and sink the canoe.

Would a length of polypropylene rope not be more suitable? Also you will
damage it by storing it in direct sunlight.

Unfortunately rope is subject to chafing on rocks and that poly rope
degrades in UV light. Also, it's a bitch to coil - and if you cut it
loose, it floats and fouls someone's propellor. Otherwise it would be
great because it's so cheap.

You say canoe, but what type of canoe?

Open canoe (Canadian style), max laden weight 400kg

Al D

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Al D wrote:
I need a good length rust-proof chain to take some load, and that
black plastic stuff is so much cheaper than galvanised chain. I need
it as an anchor chain for a large canoe. The chain does need some
strength, because large waves can exert considerable stress on the
chain, as the boat is wrenched away from the anchor's position. I
guess 40kg tensile strength would be adequate.

I assume that your "large canoe" is worth more than a bit of
galvanised chain? Quite a lot more than B&Q "black blastic
ornamental chain"? Hm? Makes you think....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al D

On 20 Jun 2006 00:55:43 +0200, Chris Bacon
wrote:

I assume that your "large canoe" is worth more than a bit of
galvanised chain?

Of course.. but if the anchor line breaks, it won't be the end of
the canoe; it just means I'm no longer at anchor (which could be
hazardous in some situations). Galvanized chain does cost... (£3 a
meter) (20 meters = £60). And it's heavy... and it often has sharp
bits sticking out, which can shred your hands, so if I knew of some
adequately strong plastic chain, it would be preferable.

Al D

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How about a length of stainless steel multi-strand wire a mm or two in
diameter? It's strong, cheap, light, takes up little space and won't
rust. You can buy it with cleats and fixing loops and other bits & bobs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Al D contains these words:

Of course.. but if the anchor line breaks, it won't be the end of
the canoe; it just means I'm no longer at anchor (which could be
hazardous in some situations). Galvanized chain does cost... (£3 a
meter) (20 meters = £60).

Stainless chain?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-MTRS-6MM-ST...temZ4650288374

This bloke
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Boat-Chandl...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
has stacks of stainless chain in many sizes - 4mm is probably thick
enough and that's £2.85/meter. Smooth - no snags like galvanised.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Al D contains these words:

I guess 40kg tensile strength would be adequate.

Not a hope.

From experience, the plastic is of very variable quality, with many
bubbles in it. Obviously a large bubble will reduce the strength to very
little indeed.

Have a look for "chain" under boats & watercraft in eBay.
--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al D

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 09:08:09 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

From experience, the plastic is of very variable quality, with many
bubbles in it. Obviously a large bubble will reduce the strength to very
little indeed.

Ah... That's what I feared! Thanks for the advice..

Al D

Chainsaw chain sharpening granpaw Metalworking 43 September 30th 05 03:59 AM
Chainsaw oil Bill R Woodturning 29 April 2nd 05 04:57 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM