Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

Default gas or electric heating

Hi all I have recently moved into a new (to me) house which requires central
heating installed. Present system is coal fire and back boiler heating hot
water and bent pipes for radiators (ex council house). I have had a quote of
£3500 for gas central heating for 7 radiators and hot water which seems
reasonable although I could most likely get it cheaper, I have just started
to get quotes.
However that is not the question. It has been suggested that if I buy 10 2KW
Dimplex oil filled radiators at approx £40 each (£400) and use an immersion
for hot water (as at present when coal fire not lit)and an electric shower,
already installed, that the cost of electricity compared to the cost of gas
plus the cost of the central heating, it would actually be cheaper in the
long run to just use electricity.

What do people think? What would be the cost of electricity to keep a house
warm using 10 2KW Dimplex oil filled radiators?
And yes the coal fire has to go, all this cleaning etc. Plus it does not
seem very efficient. Some weeks in the winter we were using 3 bags of coal.
So £3500 for gas heating plus cost of gas or £400 (probably less) for 10 2KW
Dimplex oil filled radiators plus cost of electricity? Plus I do not
envisage the 10 2KW Dimplex oil filled radiators being on all the time.
The house is well insulated in the loft and is doubled glazed.
Thanks for all input
Mark