Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

Default gas or electric heating

Hi all I have recently moved into a new (to me) house which requires central
heating installed. Present system is coal fire and back boiler heating hot
water and bent pipes for radiators (ex council house). I have had a quote of
£3500 for gas central heating for 7 radiators and hot water which seems
reasonable although I could most likely get it cheaper, I have just started
to get quotes.
However that is not the question. It has been suggested that if I buy 10 2KW
Dimplex oil filled radiators at approx £40 each (£400) and use an immersion
for hot water (as at present when coal fire not lit)and an electric shower,
already installed, that the cost of electricity compared to the cost of gas
plus the cost of the central heating, it would actually be cheaper in the
long run to just use electricity.

What do people think? What would be the cost of electricity to keep a house
warm using 10 2KW Dimplex oil filled radiators?
And yes the coal fire has to go, all this cleaning etc. Plus it does not
seem very efficient. Some weeks in the winter we were using 3 bags of coal.
So £3500 for gas heating plus cost of gas or £400 (probably less) for 10 2KW
Dimplex oil filled radiators plus cost of electricity? Plus I do not
envisage the 10 2KW Dimplex oil filled radiators being on all the time.
The house is well insulated in the loft and is doubled glazed.
Thanks for all input
Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 23:57:02 GMT, "Mark"
wrote:

[...]

If you run say half the Dimplex for only 12 hours a day it will use
120 kilowatt hours at say 10p each. That's £12 per day. The equivalent
cost of gas would be £2.40. Worst case scenario. Real case would
probably be half to 2/3rds of that. Say £8 electric and £1.60 gas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Mark wrote:

What do people think?

Electric heating of this type is about the most expensive way you can
find to heat a place. You might argue that if you were only planning to
live in the house for a short time then there would not be sufficent
time to payback the capital costs of adding real CH, but even that is
not really true since the inclusion of CH (or the lack of it) will be
reflected in the sale price.

What would be the cost of electricity to keep a house

Depends on the heatloss of the house. You have not told us much about
it. Say we guess at worst case heatloss being 10kW and you run the
heating for 10 hours a day. That would be 100kwH of electricty at full
price which could easily be £10/day. In reality you will not have the
worst case to deal with all the time - but the costs are not trivial
even then.

So ï½£3500 for gas heating plus cost of gas or ï½£400 (probably less) for 10 2KW
Dimplex oil filled radiators plus cost of electricity? Plus I do not
envisage the 10 2KW Dimplex oil filled radiators being on all the time.
The house is well insulated in the loft and is doubled glazed.
Thanks for all input

The payback time on gas vs electric heating would probably be something
like 3 to 5 years. Longer if you installed (spit!) night storage
heaters. However if you sold the place, the purchasor would probably be
arguing for a discount of £5K to allow for installing CH as well.

If you really do want electric heating that you can run from day rate
electricity then you may be better off looking at heat pump aircon units.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|Hi all I have recently moved into a new (to me) house which requires central
|heating installed. Present system is coal fire and back boiler heating hot
|water and bent pipes for radiators (ex council house). I have had a quote of
|?3500 for gas central heating for 7 radiators and hot water which seems
|reasonable although I could most likely get it cheaper, I have just started
|to get quotes.
|However that is not the question. It has been suggested that if I buy 10 2KW
|Dimplex oil filled radiators at approx ?40 each (?400) and use an immersion
|for hot water (as at present when coal fire not lit)and an electric shower,
|already installed, that the cost of electricity compared to the cost of gas
|plus the cost of the central heating, it would actually be cheaper in the
|long run to just use electricity.
|
|What do people think? What would be the cost of electricity to keep a house
|warm using 10 2KW Dimplex oil filled radiators?

It really depends on how well your house is insulated. After a disaster,
I ran my well insulated house (extended semi) last winter on 6 1/2 kW of
electric convection heaters. It cost the "Earth*. Go for gas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe

"Mark" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Parts only for a gas CH system to cover your needs, retail prices, are
~£1000. £2500 for labout for, say, 2 days x 2 men (one qualified, one
labourer), is a rip off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Dawson

"JoeJoe" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Not if you are fitting a decent boiler the part are a lot more than £1000.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe

"Stephen Dawson" wrote in message

"JoeJoe" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

I suppose £170 could be considered "a lot more"
http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...ing_Packs.html

Alternatively, there is nothing wrong in my book with
http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...ing_Packs.html
for example.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:09:19 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

"Stephen Dawson" wrote in message

"JoeJoe" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

May I point out that not all boilers are the same and this is reflected in
the price. See the BoilerChoiceFAQ.
Likewise the quality of the installation varies even more from supplier to
supplier.

The gas CH system will be worth at least its cost on the capital value of
the house give or take. The electric system will add nothing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:09:19 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

"Stephen Dawson" wrote in message

"JoeJoe" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Yep, it is worth fitting a gas system and not using it at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gav

Mark wrote:
[...]

£3500, where do you live Harrods???

shop around and get gas installed. if you visit the corgi site they will
give a list of installers in your area.

round where i live a full heat, condensing combi, is around 1800 - 2400
including trv's etc etc.

there are also other sources/combinations of heating systems available.

look he
http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/ind...from_id=159806
although still uncommon in this country, iceland is keen on this technology.

also there is solar technology. if you can stretch to the ground source
system then you would save alot of money after the initial outlay and
when you sell the house you will have a very efficient home and can
charge a premium for that!

hth

Posted to uk.d-i-y
tarquinlinbin

wrote:

Hi all I have recently moved into a new (to me) house which requires central
heating installed. Present system is coal fire and back boiler heating hot
water and bent pipes for radiators (ex council house). I have had a quote of
£3500 for gas central heating for 7 radiators and hot water which seems
reasonable although I could most likely get it cheaper, I have just started
to get quotes.

The answer is obvious. Electric is a secondary fuel i.e you have to
burn another fuel to generate electricity unless you use
wind/wave/solar power! It can therefore never be cheaper than gas in
its current format. Rather than using fuel,take a good look at
investing in not using as much fuel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote
:
Hi all I have recently moved into a new (to me) house which requires central
heating installed. Present system is coal fire and back boiler heating hot
water and bent pipes for radiators (ex council house). I have had a quoteof
£3500 for gas central heating for 7 radiators and hot water which seems
reasonable although I could most likely get it cheaper, I have just started
to get quotes.
However that is not the question. It has been suggested that if I buy 10 2KW
Dimplex oil filled radiators at approx £40 each (£400) and use an immersion
for hot water (as at present when coal fire not lit)and an electric shower,
already installed, that the cost of electricity compared to the cost of gas
plus the cost of the central heating, it would actually be cheaper in the
long run to just use electricity.

no way

What do people think? What would be the cost of electricity to keep a house
warm using 10 2KW Dimplex oil filled radiators?

excessive. Storage heaters run on half price night time leccy and are
still excessive to run.

If you want to save money, look at solar flat plate space heating in,
cost a few hundred in parts and will knock a fair bit off the heat bill
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...rn_project.htm

Then its gas, or just maybe perhaps an air heat exchanger.

And yes the coal fire has to go, all this cleaning etc. Plus it does not
seem very efficient.

ISTR figures of around 20% for an open fire. Scrap wood is free but
transport and labour isnt.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On 18 Jun 2006 07:41:41 -0700 someone who may be
wrote this:-

If you want to save money, look at solar flat plate space heating in,
cost a few hundred in parts and will knock a fair bit off the heat bill
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...rn_project.htm

I'm glad to see that this is now only being advocated as a means of
supplementing other forms of heating.

Others should also note that knocking large holes in typical UK
houses is not as easy as it is in a wooden house.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh