Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

Default Heating Upgrade - Rip Off or What?

Er indoors just rang to read out a quote for heating system work:

Boiler, pump, controls, 3 zone valves, 22mm pipe to upstairs (replace
existing 15mm).

My estimate for materials is about £1500 (using quality parts and WBosch
24Ri) - the quote is for Vaillant Boiler, so maybe £2000 materials inc. VAT.
Estimator claimed 2-3 days work, though he didn't specify number of guys on
site.

Quotation.............£4865 + VAT!!!!!!!!!!

Have to get that tattoo removed from my forhead (the one reading Soft
Touch!).

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , TheScullster
writes
Er indoors just rang to read out a quote for heating system work:

Boiler, pump, controls, 3 zone valves, 22mm pipe to upstairs (replace
existing 15mm).

My estimate for materials is about £1500 (using quality parts and WBosch
24Ri) - the quote is for Vaillant Boiler, so maybe £2000 materials inc. VAT.
Estimator claimed 2-3 days work, though he didn't specify number of guys on
site.

Quotation.............£4865 + VAT!!!!!!!!!!

So why are you posting to UK.D-I-Y ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

"raden" wrote

So why are you posting to UK.D-I-Y ?

With the help of this group I have made a number of improvements to the
system and now (hopefully) understand the shortcomings of it.
This is a 1970s install which has been extended beyond the capacity of the
boiler powering it and in some cases beyond the pipe sizes used.
Whilst some people may consider boiler replacement a DIY job, the increased
regulation and my decreasing spare time mean that this part of the work I
was considering to have done by others.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , TheScullster
writes

"raden" wrote

So why are you posting to UK.D-I-Y ?

With the help of this group I have made a number of improvements to the
system and now (hopefully) understand the shortcomings of it.
This is a 1970s install which has been extended beyond the capacity of the
boiler powering it and in some cases beyond the pipe sizes used.
Whilst some people may consider boiler replacement a DIY job, the increased
regulation and my decreasing spare time mean that this part of the work I
was considering to have done by others.

£4000 sounds good then ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"TheScullster" wrote in message

"raden" wrote

So why are you posting to UK.D-I-Y ?

With the help of this group I have made a number of improvements to the
system and now (hopefully) understand the shortcomings of it.
This is a 1970s install which has been extended beyond the capacity of the
boiler powering it and in some cases beyond the pipe sizes used.
Whilst some people may consider boiler replacement a DIY job, the
increased regulation and my decreasing spare time mean that this part of
the work I was considering to have done by others.

Phil

Get yourself a modulating condensing boiler (modulates on load compensation
not flow temp setpoint). When using a condensing boiler the pipes can be
downsized to a non-condensing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan delaMare-Lyon

"raden" wrote in message
In message , TheScullster
writes
Er indoors just rang to read out a quote for heating system work:

Boiler, pump, controls, 3 zone valves, 22mm pipe to upstairs (replace
existing 15mm).

My estimate for materials is about £1500 (using quality parts and WBosch
24Ri) - the quote is for Vaillant Boiler, so maybe £2000 materials inc.
VAT.
Estimator claimed 2-3 days work, though he didn't specify number of guys
on
site.

Quotation.............£4865 + VAT!!!!!!!!!!

Bleedin hell - that's unbelievable.

To put it in context.

Remove Stelrad (yup - that old) New Mexico slimline.
Run a new 22mm feed from the meter under the lounge floor - across the new
kitchen - out to the boilerhouse (read old outside bog).
Remove immersion tank, feed and expansion tank in loft.
Fit 2 new rads in lounge (1200x2450's 2 panel).
Remove old rad in kitchen and re-site with a new 900x800 single panel rad.
Fit 400x400 rad in old airing cupboard.
Supply and install Baxi Platinum HE24 plus flu extension.
All required pipe works.
Inc flush and inhibitor.
£2500 inc vat.

OUCH is all I can say to your figure.

I could have done loads of this myself, but I've been in the middle east a
bit on business and only had a few hours here and there - and SWMBO would
have gone ape sh1t if I'd left the house without hot water and heat for 3
months

Total time for job 3.5 days.

Cheers
Dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Dan
delaMare-Lyon writes
"raden" wrote in message
In message , TheScullster
writes
[...]

It took me a day (taking it easy) to replace my boiler last year

I have a clue, but I'm not a jobbing fitter, doing it on a daily basis

maybe a day and a half for a competent person, two days for a CORGI
fitter

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 22:12:40 +0000, raden wrote:

In message , Dan
delaMare-Lyon writes
"raden" wrote in message
In message , TheScullster
writes
[...]

In all fairness, yours was a combi to combi upgrade.

You did not need to rework the pipe order.
You did not need to remove the cylinder/tanks etc.
You did not have to run a bigger gas pipe from the meter.
The external controls and power supply were the same.
The flue hole was already in place.

CORGI fitters take longer because we aren't allowed to cut corners
(although many still seem to take chances). A substantial part of the job
is the paperwork.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
[...]

Bugger ... sussed

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

"Dan delaMare-Lyon" wrote

Bleedin hell - that's unbelievable.

To put it in context.

Remove Stelrad (yup - that old) New Mexico slimline.

.......................snip
£2500 inc vat.

OK Dan

Now I'm totally depressed, was this a recent project of yours?
Please tell me you live in East Yorks and have the number for these guys and
they are available in the next month or two????

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , TheScullster
writes

"Dan delaMare-Lyon" wrote

Bleedin hell - that's unbelievable.

To put it in context.

Remove Stelrad (yup - that old) New Mexico slimline.

......................snip
£2500 inc vat.

OK Dan

Now I'm totally depressed, was this a recent project of yours?
Please tell me you live in East Yorks and have the number for these guys and
they are available in the next month or two????

You need to ask John Jessop very nicely

He's in Brough, but he's retired

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan delaMare-Lyon

"TheScullster" wrote in message Remove Stelrad
(yup - that old) New Mexico slimline.
......................snip
£2500 inc vat.

OK Dan

Now I'm totally depressed, was this a recent project of yours?
Please tell me you live in East Yorks and have the number for these guys
and they are available in the next month or two????

No - Newmarket in Suffolk sadly - and the chap is keen to not travel too far
any more otherwise I'd hook you up.

Get a few more quotes matey - this is a chap on his own - been doing this
and electrics (all the certificates and trade memberships etc) for 30
years - and was pretty damn good tbh.

We got prices ranging from 8k (British "Thieving Gyppo's" Gas) to 3k5 before
we were put in touch with this chap by the kitchen consultant at homebase
who used him recently to do the works in his house prior to his latest
kitchen upgrade - so it's a case of digging to find the right chap for the
job sadly!

Good luck.

Cheers
Dan.