Posted to uk.d-i-y
Darren

Default How I cleared water from pipes to allow soldering

Not sure if I reinverted the wheel, but after draining my central heating
system to allow me to do some soldering, there was still water in the
pipework near where I wanted to solder a new joint.

To clear it I did the following:-

Cut a hole in the side of an empty 2 ltr drinks bottle,
Removed the screw top and connect the bottle top to the pipe using a short
lenght of hose,
Laid the bottle flat, rotating the bottle so the hole I made was facing up,
Switched on a dyson vacuum cleaner and held nozzel close to hole in side of
bottle.
Water was sucked into the bottle, but wasn't sucked up into dyson nozzel.

The drinks bottle crumpled up a bit, but I still managed to completely clear
the pipework of about 6 pints of water in no time at all.

Darren.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christopher Tidy

Darren wrote:
Not sure if I reinverted the wheel, but after draining my central heating
system to allow me to do some soldering, there was still water in the
pipework near where I wanted to solder a new joint.

To clear it I did the following:-

Cut a hole in the side of an empty 2 ltr drinks bottle,
Removed the screw top and connect the bottle top to the pipe using a short
lenght of hose,
Laid the bottle flat, rotating the bottle so the hole I made was facing up,
Switched on a dyson vacuum cleaner and held nozzel close to hole in side of
bottle.
Water was sucked into the bottle, but wasn't sucked up into dyson nozzel.

The drinks bottle crumpled up a bit, but I still managed to completely clear
the pipework of about 6 pints of water in no time at all.

Darren.

Neat idea. I have a vague recollection of there being an ancient vacuum
cleaner which worked on a similar principle. Two pipes entered a
cylindrical chamber through the curved walls. The pipes entered the
chamber opposite each other, but one was slightly higher than the other
so that they didn't collide. Each pipe extended almost to the opposite
wall. One pipe was connected to the fan, the other did the cleaning. The
idea was that the debris fell into the bottom of the chamber while the
air found its way around the corners and out of the second pipe. Worked
well for heavy debris, but less well for light dust, if I remember rightly.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Darren wrote:
Not sure if I reinverted the wheel, but after draining my central
heating system to allow me to do some soldering, there was still
water in the pipework near where I wanted to solder a new joint.

To clear it I did the following:-

Cut a hole in the side of an empty 2 ltr drinks bottle,
Removed the screw top and connect the bottle top to the pipe
using a short lenght of hose,
Laid the bottle flat, rotating the bottle so the hole I made was
facing up, Switched on a dyson vacuum cleaner and held nozzel
close to hole in side of bottle.
Water was sucked into the bottle, but wasn't sucked up into dyson
nozzel.
The drinks bottle crumpled up a bit, but I still managed to
completely clear the pipework of about 6 pints of water in no
time at all.

Neat idea. I have a yard of old fishtank airline tubing (6-8mm 'ish), which
I push down the pipe and suck out any loose water. Not advisable with
filthy heating pipes though, might try your trick next time I do that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Darren wrote:
Not sure if I reinverted the wheel, but after draining my central
heating system to allow me to do some soldering, there was still
water in the pipework near where I wanted to solder a new joint.

To clear it I did the following:-

Genius! I will definately remember that one.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mrcheerful

"Darren" wrote in message
Not sure if I reinverted the wheel, but after draining my central heating
system to allow me to do some soldering, there was still water in the
pipework near where I wanted to solder a new joint.

To clear it I did the following:-

Cut a hole in the side of an empty 2 ltr drinks bottle,
Removed the screw top and connect the bottle top to the pipe using a short
lenght of hose,
Laid the bottle flat, rotating the bottle so the hole I made was facing
up,
Switched on a dyson vacuum cleaner and held nozzel close to hole in side
of bottle.
Water was sucked into the bottle, but wasn't sucked up into dyson nozzel.

The drinks bottle crumpled up a bit, but I still managed to completely
clear the pipework of about 6 pints of water in no time at all.

Darren.

similar idea to my one:

to vacuum out a drain (really disgusting) get a 5 gallon plastic oil can,
cut an extra hole in the top which your vacuum cleaner nozzle can fit into,
get a bit of whatever tubing you can (I used a bit of exhaust pipe and a
radiator hose) which can fit into the usual cap hole, or into the cap, the
vacuum is run , the pipe is poked down the drain and all the disgustingness
is sucked into the plastic oil drum, which you then just throw away
complete.

mrcheerful

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

mrcheerful . wrote:
similar idea to my one:

to vacuum out a drain (really disgusting) get a 5 gallon plastic oil
can, cut an extra hole in the top which your vacuum cleaner nozzle
can fit into, get a bit of whatever tubing you can (I used a bit of
exhaust pipe and a radiator hose) which can fit into the usual cap
hole, or into the cap, the vacuum is run , the pipe is poked down the
drain and all the disgustingness is sucked into the plastic oil drum,
which you then just throw away complete.

That idea has been and is used in industry for all sorts of things. They
call them vacuum interceptors. One use is for disgusting stuff, but they
also use them to reclaim stuff.

Saw an ice cream factory once where they used big stainless steel
interceptors. They made like 10,000 litres of chocolate ice cream mix,
which got pumped out of the mixer to go get frozen & packed, but this left
500 or so litres of foamy stuff sculling about. Rather than wash it away so
they could clean the tank ready for strawberry, they sucked it into a
stainless interceptor tank & stored it till the next batch was made,

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mrcheerful

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news
mrcheerful . wrote:
[...]

I wasn't try to claim I invented it, just made a home version that works
really well at zero cost. My neighbour saw it and thought I was a genius,
well it made me feel good anyway.

mrcheerful

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

mrcheerful . wrote:
I wasn't try to claim I invented it, just made a home version that
works really well at zero cost. My neighbour saw it and thought I
was a genius, well it made me feel good anyway.

Sorry mate, wasn't trying to put you down, just saying you had an idea that
took the vacum cleaner industry years to invent.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Darren wrote:
Not sure if I reinverted the wheel, but after draining my central
heating system to allow me to do some soldering, there was still water
in the pipework near where I wanted to solder a new joint.

To clear it I did the following:-

Cut a hole in the side of an empty 2 ltr drinks bottle, Removed the
screw top and connect the bottle top to the pipe using a short lenght
of hose, Laid the bottle flat, rotating the bottle so the hole I made
was facing up, Switched on a dyson vacuum cleaner and held nozzel close
to hole in side of bottle. Water was sucked into the bottle, but wasn't
sucked up into dyson nozzel.

The drinks bottle crumpled up a bit, but I still managed to completely
clear the pipework of about 6 pints of water in no time at all.

I've got an Apollo HVLP spray set which uses just a glorified vacuum
cleaner on blow to power it. And the hose thread is the same as a washing
machine one. So just loosely fit a spare tap to the end of the circuit to
be soldered and blow out the water with nice warm air.

--
*A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it uses up a thousand times more memory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 00:01:04 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've got an Apollo HVLP spray set which uses just a glorified vacuum
cleaner on blow to power it. And the hose thread is the same as a washing
machine one. So just loosely fit a spare tap to the end of the circuit to
be soldered and blow out the water with nice warm air.

We used to have an attachment for our ancient[1] electrolux cylinder
vac for spraying paint and other watery fluids with the hose attached to
the blow end of the machine. The attachment was like a glass kilner jar
with a telescopic dip tube and a nozzle. There must have been a seal
missing from the telescopic bit of the dip tube or summat as it never
worked.

[1] I mean it'd be ancient now: it must have been 40+ years ago. Mind, it
wasn't that new at the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Darren wrote:

The drinks bottle crumpled up a bit, but I still managed to completely clear
the pipework of about 6 pints of water in no time at all.

neat. Same sort of idea to a surgical vacuum like used in hospital...
the interceptor vessel catches all the gloop before it gets sucked into
the pipework.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps

John Rumm wrote:
Darren wrote:

The drinks bottle crumpled up a bit, but I still managed to
completely clear the pipework of about 6 pints of water in no time
at all.

neat. Same sort of idea to a surgical vacuum like used in hospital...
the interceptor vessel catches all the gloop before it gets sucked
into the pipework.

And, quite disugustingly, the French (that's where I first saw this) sell a
baby bogie sucker which is a small vesel with two pipes. One the adult
sucks, the other goes up the baby's nose to relieve, err, conjestion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Grumps wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Darren wrote:

The drinks bottle crumpled up a bit, but I still managed to
completely clear the pipework of about 6 pints of water in no time
at all.

neat. Same sort of idea to a surgical vacuum like used in hospital...
the interceptor vessel catches all the gloop before it gets sucked
into the pipework.

And, quite disugustingly, the French (that's where I first saw this) sell a
baby bogie sucker which is a small vesel with two pipes. One the adult
sucks, the other goes up the baby's nose to relieve, err, conjestion.

Mm, nice. Though being French, I'm surprised they bother with an
interceptor vessel...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Lobster contains these words:

And, quite disugustingly, the French (that's where I first saw this)
sell a
baby bogie sucker which is a small vesel with two pipes. One the adult
sucks, the other goes up the baby's nose to relieve, err, conjestion.

Mm, nice. Though being French, I'm surprised they bother with an
interceptor vessel...

Bit of garlic and some bogeys would be indistinguishable from snails.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Guy King
writes
The message
from Lobster contains these words:

And, quite disugustingly, the French (that's where I first saw this)
sell a
baby bogie sucker which is a small vesel with two pipes. One the adult
sucks, the other goes up the baby's nose to relieve, err, conjestion.

Mm, nice. Though being French, I'm surprised they bother with an
interceptor vessel...

Bit of garlic and some bogeys would be indistinguishable from snails.

I was about to reply in exactly the same words

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fitz

Grumps wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Darren wrote:

The drinks bottle crumpled up a bit, but I still managed to
completely clear the pipework of about 6 pints of water in no time
at all.

neat. Same sort of idea to a surgical vacuum like used in hospital...
the interceptor vessel catches all the gloop before it gets sucked
into the pipework.

And, quite disugustingly, the French (that's where I first saw this) sell a
baby bogie sucker which is a small vesel with two pipes. One the adult
sucks, the other goes up the baby's nose to relieve, err, conjestion.

They sell them in this fair land as well. They don't work they are
rubbish. We fbought one in desperation during a 6 month old baby,
unsleepingly desperate snot-fest.

We also in desperation tried the 'manual' approach. This also didn't
work. Thankfully this meant I didn't get a mouthful of poormans
oysters.

Rubbing the bridge of the nose witha warm flannel for a couple of
minutes however saw the stuff flying out and led to a significantly
calmer little person.

--
Steve F

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message . com
from "Fitz" contains these words:

Rubbing the bridge of the nose witha warm flannel for a couple of
minutes however saw the stuff flying out and led to a significantly
calmer little person.

You can just whirl them round and round by their ankles, but then you
have to redecorate. Unless you happen to like green stripes.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Guy King
saying something like:

Rubbing the bridge of the nose witha warm flannel for a couple of
minutes however saw the stuff flying out and led to a significantly
calmer little person.

You can just whirl them round and round by their ankles, but then you
have to redecorate. Unless you happen to like green stripes.

Nostrils are up the wrong way; best grip them by the ears pre-whirl.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Fitz wrote:
Grumps wrote:

And, quite disugustingly, the French (that's where I first saw this) sell a
baby bogie sucker which is a small vesel with two pipes. One the adult
sucks, the other goes up the baby's nose to relieve, err, conjestion.

They sell them in this fair land as well. They don't work they are
rubbish. We fbought one in desperation during a 6 month old baby,
unsleepingly desperate snot-fest.

!!! Do you have a URL for it? (just interested, that's all; my kids
are now of an age at which if I tried using a mucus pooter (pooter -
what a wonderful word!) to suck bogies out of their noses they's
probably try to shove the thing up my fundamental orifice and/or phone
Childline)

Rubbing the bridge of the nose witha warm flannel for a couple of
minutes however saw the stuff flying out and led to a significantly
calmer little person.

Never mind that, how was the baby?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh

And, quite disugustingly, the French (that's where I first saw this) sell
a baby bogie sucker which is a small vesel with two pipes. One the adult
sucks, the other goes up the baby's nose to relieve, err, conjestion.

A slightly less disgusting version of this was on sale widely in Belgium in
the mid-90s where we were living at the time and had our first and only
child. As above except that the adult was replaced with a large rubber bulb.
Should one forget to squeeze the bulb _before_ rather than _after_ sticking
the glass tube up the baby's snout, I suppose it might have produced a v
grumpy baby rather than a glass tube full of snot. Luckily I don't think I
ever did that despite the joyous delirium of early fatherhood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , rrh
writes
And, quite disugustingly, the French (that's where I first saw this) sell
a baby bogie sucker which is a small vesel with two pipes. One the adult
sucks, the other goes up the baby's nose to relieve, err, conjestion.

A slightly less disgusting version of this was on sale widely in Belgium in
the mid-90s where we were living at the time and had our first and only
child. As above except that the adult was replaced with a large rubber bulb.
Should one forget to squeeze the bulb _before_ rather than _after_ sticking
the glass tube up the baby's snout, I suppose it might have produced a v
grumpy baby rather than a glass tube full of snot. Luckily I don't think I
ever did that despite the joyous delirium of early fatherhood.

You could always blow the baby up, close the mouth and then thump the
chest ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from John Rumm contains these words:

neat. Same sort of idea to a surgical vacuum like used in hospital...
the interceptor vessel catches all the gloop before it gets sucked into
the pipework.

It's a glorified insect-collector's pooter. Very sensible.
http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/re...es/3pooter.jpg

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
john2

Darren wrote:
Not sure if I reinverted the wheel, but after draining my central heating
system to allow me to do some soldering, there was still water in the
pipework near where I wanted to solder a new joint.

To clear it I did the following:-

Cut a hole in the side of an empty 2 ltr drinks bottle,
Removed the screw top and connect the bottle top to the pipe using a short
lenght of hose,
Laid the bottle flat, rotating the bottle so the hole I made was facing up,
Switched on a dyson vacuum cleaner and held nozzel close to hole in side of
bottle.
Water was sucked into the bottle, but wasn't sucked up into dyson nozzel.

Isn't this the same principle as a wet 'n dry vacuum cleaner.

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof

In message , Darren
writes
Not sure if I reinverted the wheel,

Snip useful tip

On a similar vein I needed to run some data cabling across the house,
there was some disused c/h pipework running between the two locations,
but due to the number of elbows on the route I couldn't feed the cables
through . . . until I connected the vacuum cleaner to one end and sucked
some thin string through, which pulled some thick string through, which
pulled the data cable through, lots of floor lifting and carpet removal
avoided.

--
Due to the very painful lack of quoting Google promotes, all Usenet
posts originating from Google users are now deleted unseen, this means

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bof wrote:
Due to the very painful lack of quoting Google promotes,

********, it does.

posts originating from Google users are now deleted unseen,

It's your loss.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

Darren wrote:
Not sure if I reinverted the wheel, but after draining my central heating
system to allow me to do some soldering, there was still water in the
pipework near where I wanted to solder a new joint.

To clear it I did the following:-

Cut a hole in the side of an empty 2 ltr drinks bottle,
Removed the screw top and connect the bottle top to the pipe using a short
lenght of hose,
Laid the bottle flat, rotating the bottle so the hole I made was facing up,
Switched on a dyson vacuum cleaner and held nozzel close to hole in side of
bottle.
Water was sucked into the bottle, but wasn't sucked up into dyson nozzel.

The drinks bottle crumpled up a bit, but I still managed to completely clear
the pipework of about 6 pints of water in no time at all.

Darren.

Nice idea but my vax already does that itself as it's a wet & dry
machine.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
anon

Darren wrote:
The drinks bottle crumpled up a bit, but I still managed to completely clear
the pipework of about 6 pints of water in no time at all.

Good idea mate - If there's a much smaller quantity of water shove a
chunk of bread up the pipe - provided you can flush it out afterwards
of course.