Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vortex

Default [OT-ish] HDD formatting "good practice"

Well the time has come.....as it does every few years.

My HDD is virtually full. I have insufficient memory. My PC is too noisy.
My son tells me my graphics card is inadequate. No more room for
enhancements and upgrades. It's time for a new one.

I've just ordered one of these http://tinyurl.com/kjp8p with (amongst other
things) a 500G HDD which I envisage assembling this weekend.

The most important decision I have to make in the coming days is whether to
format the 500G as one huge partition or to have multiple partitions eg:
100G for OS and applications and 400G for My Documents/Pictures/Videos etc.

What would you do?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Vortex" writes:
What would you do?

Ask the question in a computing/PC newsgroup.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
john2

Vortex wrote:
Well the time has come.....as it does every few years.

My HDD is virtually full. I have insufficient memory. My PC is too noisy.
My son tells me my graphics card is inadequate. No more room for
enhancements and upgrades. It's time for a new one.

I've just ordered one of these http://tinyurl.com/kjp8p with (amongst other
things) a 500G HDD which I envisage assembling this weekend.

The most important decision I have to make in the coming days is whether to
format the 500G as one huge partition or to have multiple partitions eg:
100G for OS and applications and 400G for My Documents/Pictures/Videos etc.

Well if its a Samsung HDD I wouldn't bother partitioning it at all.
Formatting with Fdisk will destroy their weird low level format and only
Samsung can recover it, as many users have found.

john2
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from john2 contains these words:

Well if its a Samsung HDD I wouldn't bother partitioning it at all.
Formatting with Fdisk will destroy their weird low level format and only
Samsung can recover it, as many users have found.

Never had that trouble with my Samsung drive.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Vortex wrote:
Well the time has come.....as it does every few years.

My HDD is virtually full. I have insufficient memory. My PC is too noisy.
My son tells me my graphics card is inadequate. No more room for
enhancements and upgrades. It's time for a new one.

I've just ordered one of these http://tinyurl.com/kjp8p with (amongst other
things) a 500G HDD which I envisage assembling this weekend.

The most important decision I have to make in the coming days is whether to
format the 500G as one huge partition or to have multiple partitions eg:
100G for OS and applications and 400G for My Documents/Pictures/Videos etc.

What would you do?

Put Linux on it, and shoot my son.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
john2

Guy King wrote:
The message
from john2 contains these words:

Well if its a Samsung HDD I wouldn't bother partitioning it at all.
Formatting with Fdisk will destroy their weird low level format and only
Samsung can recover it, as many users have found.

Never had that trouble with my Samsung drive.

It applies to the 160 GB one that Aldi were flogging off cheapish last
year, maybe not other Samsungs. Perhaps that's why it was cheap.

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christopher Tidy

Vortex wrote:
Well the time has come.....as it does every few years.

My HDD is virtually full. I have insufficient memory. My PC is too noisy.
My son tells me my graphics card is inadequate. No more room for
enhancements and upgrades. It's time for a new one.

I've just ordered one of these http://tinyurl.com/kjp8p with (amongst other
things) a 500G HDD which I envisage assembling this weekend.

The most important decision I have to make in the coming days is whether to
format the 500G as one huge partition or to have multiple partitions eg:
100G for OS and applications and 400G for My Documents/Pictures/Videos etc.

What would you do?

David

I doubt it matters much which you choose. In the event of a corrupted
file system or failing hard drive partitioning should make data recovery
easier, but whether it improves system performance is a matter of some
debate. On the one hand having two file systems creates extra work for
your CPU and disk, but it should reduce fragmentation of your operating
system files. I'm under the impression, however, that on a PC running
Windows it's pretty hard to move your user profiles (stuff like your
Internet Explorer cache files and favourites, which are modified very
frequently) onto a separate partition. Fragmentation should only become
a problem when you're running out of space on the hard drive, and with a
500 GB disk that should take a while. I'm also under the impression that
newer versions of Windows, using NTFS as opposed to FAT, are less
susceptible to fragmentation, but it's been some time since I used
Windows seriously myself. If you do decide to partition, put some
serious thought into the size of the partitions - it's easy to get it wrong!

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

john2 wrote:

Well if its a Samsung HDD I wouldn't bother partitioning it at all.
Formatting with Fdisk will destroy their weird low level format and only
Samsung can recover it, as many users have found.

john2

Any disk that does that is broken and needs returning...

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Convery

"Vortex" wrote in message
news
Well the time has come.....as it does every few years.

My HDD is virtually full. I have insufficient memory. My PC is too
noisy. My son tells me my graphics card is inadequate. No more room for
enhancements and upgrades. It's time for a new one.

I've just ordered one of these http://tinyurl.com/kjp8p with (amongst
other things) a 500G HDD which I envisage assembling this weekend.

The most important decision I have to make in the coming days is whether
to format the 500G as one huge partition or to have multiple partitions
eg: 100G for OS and applications and 400G for My Documents/Pictures/Videos
etc.

What would you do?

David

Personally always put docs etc onto a second partition..why... so that if my
OS screws up I can reinstall the OS without having to worry about loosing
any docs. IMO thats the only thing partitioning a disk really gives of much
benefit

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from john2 contains these words:

Never had that trouble with my Samsung drive.

It applies to the 160 GB one that Aldi were flogging off cheapish last
year, maybe not other Samsungs. Perhaps that's why it was cheap.

I had one of the Aldi WD 250GB drives. Marked on the box as "Internal
Hard Disc Drive" on all faces except one - where it's maked
"Infernal...."

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Vortex wrote:

Well the time has come.....as it does every few years.

My HDD is virtually full. I have insufficient memory. My PC is too
noisy.
My son tells me my graphics card is inadequate. No more room for
enhancements and upgrades. It's time for a new one.

I've just ordered one of these http://tinyurl.com/kjp8p with (amongst
other things) a 500G HDD which I envisage assembling this weekend.

The most important decision I have to make in the coming days is whether
to format the 500G as one huge partition or to have multiple partitions
eg: 100G for OS and applications and 400G for My Documents/Pictures/Videos
etc.

What would you do?

David

Hi

As odd as it may seem, there is a "right" answer for this. There are many
variations of "right", but basically:

a) OS onto one partition (eg windows C:\ , Linux / /var /usr etc)

b) User data onto a different partition

a may be further subdivided (OS/applications/swap) and b may be subdivided
(personal user data aka home directory versus "shared" data like films,
mp3s, photos which the whole family access).

Do not ever install the OS onto a whole-disk-sized partition and then lose
your data in amongst the crap. If you do and have to re-install the OS, you
will weep.

Due to the fairly sucky way that DOS partitioning works, I would also make
all partitions "primary partitions" upto the limit of 4, unless you know
that the installer is using the newer MS partitioning scheme.

Something else to consider - leave a second partition spare so you can
install a second OS. It won;t amount to much out of 1/2 TB.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

john2 wrote:
Well if its a Samsung HDD I wouldn't bother partitioning it at all.
Formatting with Fdisk will destroy their weird low level format and only
Samsung can recover it, as many users have found.

References?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y
john2

Tim S wrote:
john2 wrote:

Well if its a Samsung HDD I wouldn't bother partitioning it at all.
Formatting with Fdisk will destroy their weird low level format and only
Samsung can recover it, as many users have found.

john2

Any disk that does that is broken and needs returning...

I put the drive number into Google and found a lot of people globally
who had exactly the same problem. Samsung don't publish any data on
heads, cylinders sectors etc for this model so it may be a much bigger
drive, or one of several bigger drives, which had a lot of duff sectors
that they've low level programmed within the controller to avoid.

I worked fine until I tried to reformat it....

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y
john2

Adrian C wrote:
john2 wrote:

Well if its a Samsung HDD I wouldn't bother partitioning it at all.
Formatting with Fdisk will destroy their weird low level format and
only Samsung can recover it, as many users have found.

References?

I can't find the HDD at the moment to check its type No., but here's a
couple of folk with what look similar problems trying to partition a
different Samsung drive:
http://forums.whatpc.co.uk/thread.js...message=282559

"vnunet.com forums - Unable to partition new samsung HDD
I recently bought a brand new 8oGb Samsung HDD. I formatted it and
installed XP ok. When i tried to partition it using Partition Magic 8 i
was directed to ...
forums.whatpc.co.uk/thread.jsp?forum=7&thread=47435&message=282559 -
Similar pages"

Samsung have a downloadable HDD formatting utility at
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Hard...ies/shdiag.htm
which I was messing about with at one stage but it didn't seem to solve
my problems then I forgot about it (and finally lost the HDD somewhere).

john2
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Tim S wrote:
Vortex wrote:

[...]

I second all of that.

On this PC, group (a) is subdivided into three partitions: Windows/apps
(C: 17Gb), paging (P: 2Gb), and temp (T: 4Gb). Group (b) is divided into
two partitions: documents and other files that need to be backed up
frequently (D: 5Gb), and files that rarely or never need to be backed up
(copy of the old PC's hard disk, copy of Windows CD, copies of audio
CDs, etc) (N: 230Gb).

Partition Magic is good for settings things up and adjusting afterwards.

Do not ever install the OS onto a whole-disk-sized partition and then lose
your data in amongst the crap. If you do and have to re-install the OS, you
will weep.

Agreed. I like to segregate my data principally according to the backup
requirements. That way, I can put the backup strategy to the back of my
mind, and never be in any doubt about what's being backed up when.

Good backup solutions can be quite cheap. I back up C: and D: to a 40Gb
DAT tape. Drives and controllers are plentiful on eBay (I paid about
£25). Software (NTBACKUP) is free with Windows.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HDD formatting "good practice"

Tim S wrote:
Vortex wrote:

[...]

I would say about the oposite to that. I dont split discs and dont lose
document files when installing or reinstalling an OS. Using a sensible
backup routine gives backui[p protection. So far I've lost a total of
one object as a result of storing it in an odd place and forgetting to
include it in any backup, then a hdd failed. But partitioning wouldnt
have helped that in any way.

Remeber the days of 500M and 1G drives? Remeber why partitioning was
such abad idea then? 500G seems like a vast amount of storage now, but
it will ni time become a 'small disc', and however you partition it now
its guaranteed to be split alll wrong.once space starts getting low.

I remember when a 70M hdd was gargantuan, and none of us could figure
out how we could ever fill it.

The one remaining question: how the heck do you backup a half terabyte
disc? Only 100 dvds I spose, or less after compression.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
vortex2

Vortex wrote:
Well the time has come.....as it does every few years.

My HDD is virtually full. I have insufficient memory. My PC is too
noisy. My son tells me my graphics card is inadequate. No more room for
enhancements and upgrades. It's time for a new one.

I've just ordered one of these http://tinyurl.com/kjp8p with (amongst
other things) a 500G HDD which I envisage assembling this weekend.

The most important decision I have to make in the coming days is whether
to format the 500G as one huge partition or to have multiple partitions
eg: 100G for OS and applications and 400G for My
Documents/Pictures/Videos etc.

What would you do?

Put Linux on it, and shoot my son.

FYI I have an elephants graveyard of old PC's and he HAS put Linux on them,
as well as on his IPOD (for what purpose I do not know).

There's a version called Kubuntu which I reckon is pretty cool.

Problem is that I do not have a beard and my son is too young to grow one.

Sticking with Bill Gates for now. Actively considering purging Rupert
Murdoch from my life though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
vortex2

The one remaining question: how the heck do you backup a half terabyte
disc? Only 100 dvds I spose, or less after compression.

NT

I've been investigating backups and I reckon that Network Attached Storage
is the solution. Something like this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=245156

Actually I am thinking that if "My Pictures" and "My Music" were on a disk
like this then they could be viewed/listened to from another PC easily

david

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Vortex wrote:

The most important decision I have to make in the coming days is whether to
format the 500G as one huge partition or to have multiple partitions eg:
100G for OS and applications and 400G for My Documents/Pictures/Videos etc.

What would you do?

Definitely partition.

even multiple partitions.

One for Windows (don't underestimate the amount of space this may require.
One for Music/Photos and other "valuable" data
One for something else.

Having had to re-install Windows on my single partition PC supplied with
no WinXP disk but the installation S/Ware on a partion, the only way I
could resolve it was with a format which being one partition screwed the
whole lot.

Now I have to copy the whole lot back again (including GB's of pictures
and backup data.

Seperate partitions would have saved all this (Win XP MCE Home edition)

HTH
http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
vortex2

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
vortex2 wrote:
The one remaining question: how the heck do you backup a half terabyte
disc? Only 100 dvds I spose, or less after compression.

NT

I've been investigating backups and I reckon that Network Attached
Storage is the solution. Something like this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=245156

Actually I am thinking that if "My Pictures" and "My Music" were on a
disk like this then they could be viewed/listened to from another PC
easily

Now you really want Linux or UNIX. Windows networking sucks :-)).

Chris

That's curious, it works for me......

I formed the reverse impression trying to get my son's Linux PC to see my
Windows shared printer.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

wrote:

Tim S wrote:
Vortex wrote:

[...]

I understand your reasoning. But it has some problems (which you may decide
to live with, which is fair enough):

a) It leaves you vulnerable to a greater risk of filesystem corruption
(which is more often than not constrained to one instance of a filesystem,
unless you are an FS/device driver developer ;- ); If you monitor your
disks, failed disks sometimes (more often than not in my experience) go
through a failure period where some cluster of blocks become inaccessible,
before the entire drive crashes. Splitting filesystems reduces the impact
and gives greater chance of recovery.

b) OS reinstalls *are* more difficult. Your solution is conditional upon
good backups - but backups are easier to set up if you arrange your
filesystems sensibly.

c) It makes dual/multi boot harder to implement.

d) Multiple filesystems provide rudimentary quotaring, so one errant user
can't fill up the system filesystem, which is usually bad. Then again if
your whole household logs in as "Administrator" this point is moot.

I've used all sorts of partitioning schemes, but they always revolve around
the separation of user data from program/OS files. No professional sysadmin
would do it any other way - it was good practise in the 70's (initially for
different reasons) and it still is good practise.

Remeber the days of 500M and 1G drives? Remeber why partitioning was
such abad idea then? 500G seems like a vast amount of storage now, but
it will ni time become a 'small disc', and however you partition it now
its guaranteed to be split alll wrong.once space starts getting low.

Put in a couple of 40-60GB partitions for OS + spare - that leaves nearly
400GB for "user data", which is going to take a while to fill, even with a
digital camera. By then, expect a second 500GB disk to cost 70 quid (as the
Seagate Barracuda SATA 300GB does right now).

If necessary, use second disk as a decant area to re-layout partitions on
first disk, but with 40-60GB for the OS/programs, you are likely to be good
for a fair few years unless you install Matlab + Xilinx with every library
possible along with everything else going.

Another solution is to use logical volume management, but it depends on the
OS support for it and sometimes the simplicity of simple partitions buys
extra robustness.

I remember when a 70M hdd was gargantuan, and none of us could figure
out how we could ever fill it.

Yes. I remember when 20MB was the dogs Doesn't change anything though.

The one remaining question: how the heck do you backup a half terabyte
disc? Only 100 dvds I spose, or less after compression.

The only practical answer is another disk. Unless one is rich enough to buy
a SAIT tape drive and some media which will do about 800GB per tape
typically. Several grand for the drive and 100 quid per tape. Ouch.

DVDs suffer from the same problems as CDRs - as in how long are they good
for? 1 year, 5 years, 10 years? I don't trust them for the only copy of
valuable data.

What I do in my home server is double up on the disks - I have 4. Each disk
carries various data (home directories, /vol/ areas, upto about 40% of the
disk capacity), the rest of the disk is used as a backup area for data from
other disks. Backups using rsync run several times a day automatically.
Won't help is the box catches fire, but it guards against disk failure,
which I've had twice in 4 years on that server. For the box catching fire
scenario, I back up my really important data to a spare disk in my work PC,
using rsync it doesn't take long nor use much bandwidth. But an old mouldy
PC in the shed/garage with a big disk and a bit of cat5 (even WIFI) would
work well too.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

john2 wrote:

forums.whatpc.co.uk/thread.jsp?forum=7&thread=47435&message=282559

Looks more like a Partition Magic bug to me.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

john2 wrote:

Tim S wrote:
john2 wrote:

Well if its a Samsung HDD I wouldn't bother partitioning it at all.
Formatting with Fdisk will destroy their weird low level format and only
Samsung can recover it, as many users have found.

john2

Any disk that does that is broken and needs returning...

I put the drive number into Google and found a lot of people globally
who had exactly the same problem. Samsung don't publish any data on
heads, cylinders sectors etc for this model so it may be a much bigger
drive, or one of several bigger drives, which had a lot of duff sectors
that they've low level programmed within the controller to avoid.

I worked fine until I tried to reformat it....

Do you mean "low level reformat" or "make a filesystem/format"?

Partitioning and making filesystems are high level operations. The computer
will ask the drive "how many blocks do you have" and it will expect them
all to work (assuming LBA mode).

Fdisk does nothing more than write to the first logical sector (512 bytes)
on the drive a copy of the MS DOS format partition table and, occasionally,
depending on invocation/version of fdisk, a copy of the MBR.

If the drive goes pear shaped having the first sector written to, then it is
broken. No debate. It does not work as expected, and if it were mine, it
would be returned forthwith. Presumable Samsung screwed up badly?

Some people don't even use partitions, I have on occasion given the whole
disk (raw) over to a filesystem or a higher level volume manager like EVMS.

This (generally, not you John) is starting to remind me of my discussions
with SanDisk this weekend past, over a failed CF card.

Me: mails SanDisk, requesting an RMA under the 5 year guarantee due to 67xx
bad blocks on the device appearing...

Them: Please can you use Windows XP to delete/recreate partition and
reformat the filesystem.

Me: No I don't have any MS product available on a system with a CF card
reader. I use linux. I have performed the equivalent operations with fdisk
and mkfs.vfat Oddly enough it doesn't work any better. BTW, were you hoping
the mkfs operation would take note of the bad blocks and hide them at the
FS layer, because that is not acceptable. Either the device hides them at
the hardware layer or you give me a new device.

Them: Repeat 1st line support bull**** about Win XP...

Me: Gets on the phone, gives them a short lecture and is immediately given
the contact numbers of 3 UK distributors who can handle RMAs. 3 days later
I have a new device. Why they had to make a simple thing hard I don't know,
but they probably regretted doing it to me whilst I am giving up smoking
because I don't currently have a lot of patience in the face of
stupidity...

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

wrote:

I would say about the oposite to that. I dont split discs and dont lose

I am with Tim on this.

document files when installing or reinstalling an OS. Using a sensible
backup routine gives backui[p protection. So far I've lost a total of
one object as a result of storing it in an odd place and forgetting to
include it in any backup, then a hdd failed. But partitioning wouldnt
have helped that in any way.

Remeber the days of 500M and 1G drives? Remeber why partitioning was
such abad idea then?

Not at all. In fact with smaller drives (and older file systems)
partitioning was almost vital if you wanted to avoid throwing large
proportions of your disk space away with monsterous cluster sizes. A
200MB drive split into two 100M partitions had significantly more
useable space than if left as one.

500G seems like a vast amount of storage now, but
it will ni time become a 'small disc', and however you partition it now
its guaranteed to be split alll wrong.once space starts getting low.

Careful planing, and tools like partition magic sort that. Also remember
that with NTFS you can graft a new partition onto a branch of an exiting
directory tree. Thus making a partiton "bigger" without repartitioning it.

The one remaining question: how the heck do you backup a half terabyte
disc? Only 100 dvds I spose, or less after compression.

Here is one big reason why partitioning is still a good idea. A
system/boot partition that can be restored from one or two DVDs is far
more useful that a whole system backup that takes 10s or 100s. Also it
makes doing emergency recovery backups simpler since you don't need to
worry so much about being able to select individual files to avoid
overwriting user files with older backups.

If you have more than one physical disk in the computer then there are
performance gains to be had to make sure that windows and the main page
file are on separate physical disks.

Most people find that if they keep photos and video out of their
documents/data then the whole data partition can be DVD sized or less
and hence very easy to backup.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christopher Tidy

vortex2 wrote:

The one remaining question: how the heck do you backup a half terabyte
disc? Only 100 dvds I spose, or less after compression.

NT

I've been investigating backups and I reckon that Network Attached
Storage is the solution. Something like this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=245156

Actually I am thinking that if "My Pictures" and "My Music" were on a
disk like this then they could be viewed/listened to from another PC
easily

Now you really want Linux or UNIX. Windows networking sucks :-)).

Chris

That's curious, it works for me......

I formed the reverse impression trying to get my son's Linux PC to see my
Windows shared printer.

David

Well, I said it with a grin, but it has been my experience. I've found
that when it comes to networking, what works for one variant of UNIX
generally works for another, and that setting up UNIX-based networks is
pretty trouble free. Conversely I've found that setting up Windows
networks operates quite differently from version to version, and
frequently not at all. I remember with Windows 95 I couldn't get the
connection to work at all unless I turned Windows file sharing on, which
I didn't want to do. With later versions I've found that the firewalls
necessary to catch the multitude of Windows trojans and viruses
interfere with legitimate network traffic, often without telling you
clearly what they're doing. My experience has been that while UNIX/Linux
is harder to learn in the first place, it's a hell of a lot more robust.
I used to use Windows, but I wouldn't go back.

If you go another newsgroup (I can't think of an appropriate one right
now) I'm sure someone can help with your printer problem, but I don't do
Windows anymore.

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Tim S contains these words:

Yes. I remember when 20MB was the dogs Doesn't change anything though.

Remember the commodore 9060? 5MB and proud of it!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Tim S contains these words:

Why they had to make a simple thing hard I don't know,

Because in many cases it will get the customer to **** off and not
bother them again. This makes it cheaper for them.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"john2" wrote in message
Adrian C wrote:
john2 wrote:

Well if its a Samsung HDD I wouldn't bother partitioning it at all.
Formatting with Fdisk will destroy their weird low level format and only
Samsung can recover it, as many users have found.

References?

I can't find the HDD at the moment to check its type No., but here's a
couple of folk with what look similar problems trying to partition a
different Samsung drive:
http://forums.whatpc.co.uk/thread.js...message=282559

"vnunet.com forums - Unable to partition new samsung HDD
I recently bought a brand new 8oGb Samsung HDD. I formatted it and
installed XP ok. When i tried to partition it using Partition Magic 8 i
was directed to ...
forums.whatpc.co.uk/thread.jsp?forum=7&thread=47435&message=282559 -
Similar pages"

Nothing wrong with the disks then.
Just useless software and inexperienced (I am usually polite) users.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Guy King wrote:

The message
from Tim S contains these words:

Why they had to make a simple thing hard I don't know,

Because in many cases it will get the customer to **** off and not
bother them again. This makes it cheaper for them.

It wouldn't surprise me, Guy.

My logic would be, well, if I go away, they've saved themselves 20 quid or
whatever. In the meantime I'm looking to buy 2 off 1GB devices, so being
now ****ed of I'm considering Lexar or even Corsair. And all the bad will
from me telling everyone about it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vortex

"Vortex" wrote in message
news
Well the time has come.....as it does every few years.

My HDD is virtually full. I have insufficient memory. My PC is too
noisy. My son tells me my graphics card is inadequate. No more room for
enhancements and upgrades. It's time for a new one.

I've just ordered one of these http://tinyurl.com/kjp8p with (amongst
other things) a 500G HDD which I envisage assembling this weekend.

The most important decision I have to make in the coming days is whether
to format the 500G as one huge partition or to have multiple partitions
eg: 100G for OS and applications and 400G for My Documents/Pictures/Videos
etc.

What would you do?

David

Gents,

Having read your various responses and comments, plus this
http://tinyurl.com/fwdlg interesting thread I have resolved to initially
format the HDD with one partition, and implement a robust backup strategy,
along with an equally robust "keep the children from installing crap off the
web my new PC" policy

Before making the post I was well aware that views would be polarised.
Somehow I was hoping there would be a "third way".....and I think there is
one....to use Partition Magic at a later date should my single partition
strategy turn out to be ill judged.

Thanks again,

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Vortex wrote:
Well the time has come.....as it does every few years.

My HDD is virtually full. I have insufficient memory. My PC is
too noisy. My son tells me my graphics card is inadequate. No
more room for enhancements and upgrades. It's time for a new one.

I've just ordered one of these http://tinyurl.com/kjp8p with
(amongst other things) a 500G HDD which I envisage assembling
this weekend.
The most important decision I have to make in the coming days is
whether to format the 500G as one huge partition or to have
multiple partitions eg: 100G for OS and applications and 400G for
My Documents/Pictures/Videos etc.
What would you do?

I agree with Rob Convery - 100 & 400 is safer. Keeps your data separate so
you can image and reinstall the OS without any worries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Tim S contains these words:

My logic would be, well, if I go away, they've saved themselves 20 quid or
whatever. In the meantime I'm looking to buy 2 off 1GB devices, so being
now ****ed of I'm considering Lexar or even Corsair. And all the bad will
from me telling everyone about it.

Yes, but beancounters don't think like that.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Steve Walker" contains these words:

I agree with Rob Convery - 100 & 400 is safer. Keeps your data
separate so
you can image and reinstall the OS without any worries.

If you've got two physical drives having the swapfile on the second
drive can speed things up as it can read from one channel while writing
on the other. For this I've a 1GB partion on my second HD just for the
swapfile.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Sinclair

In message , vortex2
writes
I've been investigating backups and I reckon that Network Attached
Storage is the solution.

If you have an old PC with a reasonably large hard disk then have a go
at making your own NAS using this.

http://www.freenas.org/index.php?opt...tpage&Itemid=1

That said, USB connected storage is getting cheaper all the time - back
up all your digital photos, MP3s and documents onto the device and then
take it into work, leave it at your Mums or whatever so if the day your
house burns down or the PC gets nicked then you have an 'off site
backup'.
--
Andrew Sinclair http://www.smellycat.org
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Rob Convery wrote:

"Vortex" wrote in message
news
[...]

I was reading down the threads to see if anyone else agreed with this. I
was taught computers by a blind man and he always told me to partition a
drive and put the operating system on the first partition (C and put
all applications and data on the second partition (D

I agree with what you say all the way. It has worked very well for me
for well over 15 years.

By the way, if the second partition gets buggered, you can usually get
it back by using FDISK. Remove all partitions and re-partition the drive
with the same parameters that you used the last time. Second partition
will still be there.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Vortex wrote:

Having read your various responses and comments, plus this
http://tinyurl.com/fwdlg interesting thread I have resolved to initially
format the HDD with one partition, and implement a robust backup strategy,
along with an equally robust "keep the children from installing crap off the
web my new PC" policy

Before making the post I was well aware that views would be polarised.
Somehow I was hoping there would be a "third way".....and I think there is
one....to use Partition Magic at a later date should my single partition
strategy turn out to be ill judged.

If you want a third way, have you thought about virtualisation?:

http://www.vmware.com/virtualization/

(basic product is free for download now)

You can give the kids a PC to do what they like with, knowing full well
you can return it to pristine "newness" any time you like with no effort.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Andrew Sinclair" wrote in message
In message , vortex2
writes
I've been investigating backups and I reckon that Network Attached Storage
is the solution.

If you have an old PC with a reasonably large hard disk then have a go at
making your own NAS using this.

http://www.freenas.org/index.php?opt...tpage&Itemid=1

Its not free.
Nearly everyone will use some old PC they have lying about to run the free
software.
The problem being that they tend to be power hungry.
Typically they will take 50w to 100+w more than something like a Buffalo
Linkstation.

That is about 10p a day more to run.
It soon makes it cheaper to buy the dedicated device than to run the (free)
software.

That said you can use it for other functions, or you could buy an ultra low
power PC for the job.

That said, USB connected storage is getting cheaper all the time - back up
all your digital photos, MP3s and documents onto the device and then take
it into work, leave it at your Mums or whatever so if the day your house
burns down or the PC gets nicked then you have an 'off site backup'.

Two of them would be even better.
Murphy says that the software will crash during the backup and that both the
original and the backup will be lost if you only have one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, dennis@home wrote:

[...]

Agreed. Laptops are convenient and low-power, and available cheap from
eBay (probably with dodgy batteries, but that doesn't matter).

That said, USB connected storage is getting cheaper all the time - back up
all your digital photos, MP3s and documents onto the device and then take
it into work, leave it at your Mums or whatever so if the day your house
burns down or the PC gets nicked then you have an 'off site backup'.

Two of them would be even better.
Murphy says that the software will crash during the backup and that both the
original and the backup will be lost if you only have one.

I have two backups, but not for that reason. Realistically a crash will
not damage the original *and* the backup, so a second backup isn't
necessary for that reason. But if your only backup is at your Mum's it's
inconvenient to make frequent backups. Therefore I have one local
backup, updated frequently, and one off-site backup, updated less often.

--
Mike Barnes