Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christopher Tidy

Default HDD formatting "good practice"

vortex2 wrote:
"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message

vortex2 wrote:

The one remaining question: how the heck do you backup a half terabyte
disc? Only 100 dvds I spose, or less after compression.

NT

I've been investigating backups and I reckon that Network Attached
Storage is the solution. Something like this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=245156

Actually I am thinking that if "My Pictures" and "My Music" were on a
disk like this then they could be viewed/listened to from another PC
easily

Now you really want Linux or UNIX. Windows networking sucks :-)).

Chris

That's curious, it works for me......

I formed the reverse impression trying to get my son's Linux PC to see my
Windows shared printer.

David

Well, I said it with a grin, but it has been my experience. I've found
that when it comes to networking, what works for one variant of UNIX
generally works for another, and that setting up UNIX-based networks is
pretty trouble free. Conversely I've found that setting up Windows
networks operates quite differently from version to version, and
frequently not at all. I remember with Windows 95 I couldn't get the
connection to work at all unless I turned Windows file sharing on, which
I didn't want to do. With later versions I've found that the firewalls
necessary to catch the multitude of Windows trojans and viruses
interfere with legitimate network traffic, often without telling you
clearly what they're doing. My experience has been that while UNIX/Linux
is harder to learn in the first place, it's a hell of a lot more robust.
I used to use Windows, but I wouldn't go back.

If you go another newsgroup (I can't think of an appropriate one right
now) I'm sure someone can help with your printer problem, but I don't do
Windows anymore.

Chris