Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Hollis

Default Freeview aerial

Get a "wideband" ariel from Maplin or similar.

Switch on video then box.

If no pic press play on video then stop and pic will appear.

"Dave" wrote in message
Just had my first try at setting up a digital Freeview box from an aerial.
We
have a very old (20 years+) aerial in the loft so I just plugged that in
the
hope it might work - and it (almost) did!. The FV box found 800+ stations
(I
actually only want a few - the BBC/ITV group and History Channel (Fred is
still
going strong there I see!). Problem is I cannot get the ITV group or most
of the
radio stations as the signal shows up as too weak in the sig-strength bar.

I suppose it's a case of a new aerial, and if so can someone please advice
me
what/where I can get a suitable one? (East Mids, Nottingham). I'd much
prefer
the aerial goes in the loft rather than on the roof.

Is there a better way to adjust the aerial than the "Tony Handcock
method"?
(showing my age now).

One final query... The picture (when sig strength is good enough) is fine.
But
if I switch on the Video recorder, the sound is heard but no picture! Is
this
probably a wiring config problem - or could that be a signal strength
thing too?
Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Dave wrote:
"Jim Hollis" wrote:
Get a "wideband" ariel from Maplin or similar.
Switch on video then box.

If no pic press play on video then stop and pic will appear.

That all worked fine - I hope Mr. God. Chris can learn from it as he has no idea
either. Perhaps he wants a job as DIY moderator and is trying to impress us by
setting followup to a more relevant group. But he was clearly wrong - as your
reply demonstrates.

Cor, that was impressive

snort.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Neale

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:46:47 +0100, "Jim Hollis"

wrote:

Get a "wideband" ariel from Maplin or similar.

Switch on video then box.

If no pic press play on video then stop and pic will appear.

Thanks Jim.
That all worked fine - I hope Mr. God. Chris can learn from it as he has
no idea
either. Perhaps he wants a job as DIY moderator and is trying to impress
us by
setting followup to a more relevant group. But he was clearly wrong - as
your
reply demonstrates.
Thanks

A good quality wideband aerial will probably help. As it happens, whether
you're using the main Waltham tramsmitter or the Nottingham relay MUX2
(containing the ITVchannels) will be furthest away from the band for your
existing (presumably banded) aerial, so the ITV channels would be likely to
disappear first under marginal conditions. See
http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/tx_m.html for channel allocations. To check
which transmitter would serve you better go to
http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html and enter your postcode.

Mixing Freeview and Cable TV to domestic disbn sys? T i m UK diy 9 April 21st 06 05:35 PM
Aerial Splitter John UK diy 11 January 9th 06 10:01 AM
TV aerial installed David Cawkwell UK diy 2 November 22nd 03 09:55 PM
New TV aerial choice? David Cawkwell UK diy 24 November 13th 03 11:55 AM
FM Aerial installation Q's PJ UK diy 50 September 23rd 03 08:59 AM