Posted to uk.d-i-y
keithwheeler

Default CH pump leak

I have a leak in a central heating pump.
There appear to be 2 pumps in line. Both are SMC, one (the one that is
not leaking) is a SMC Comet 2 controller. I cannot tell what the other
one is but it is an SMC but a different shape. They are 15 years+ old.
The leaking pump has a cylindrical part with 3 large phillips screws in
it. It also has 4 small holes in it. I don't know why they are there
but water was dripping out of the bottom two, so something must have
given up the ghost in the pump I presume.
In true DIY fashion, I blocked the holes as a tempory measure, but
water then started to come out of a couple of other places.
If anyone knows if this is a small straightfoward job to fix myself
then that will be good. Alternatively, any contrary advice along the
lines of "don't be silly/tight - get a plumber and new pump now", then
that will also be heeded.
Thanks in anticipation (but the carpet can't take much more water!)
Keith.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 17:17:18 -0700, keithwheeler wrote:

[...]

Any chance of a picture of this second 'pump'?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
keithwheeler

Ed,
Thanks for asking but I was overtaken by events (and water), couldn't
get hold a plumber in time so did the job myself. Consequently it took
about 8 hrs (4 to get 1 nut off, 2 just staring at it!) but I got there
in the end. It was basically a second pump to increase circulation (I
believe 2 pumps are no longer used) and I replaced it with a pump from
'Circulating Pumps' for £43. The casing would not come off so I never
did find out the original cause.
Thanks anyway. Keith.