Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Leaking oil tank valve...

On cutting the grass yesterday I noted a faint whiff of diesel around
the tank, and inspection showed that it was gently damp with diesel at
the outflow..

Now the arrangement I have there is not ideal...out of the tank there is
a tap and filter that goes on to a T piece that connects to two 10mm
compression joints, that feed the Aga and the boiler via long and hard
to bleed runs...

The WHOLE AREA of this appears to be wet, which suggests that the tap
itself is leaking as it is the highest point..

Is that a reasonable assumption? Or does diesel creep 'uphill'?

Now I have no issue with replacing anything or everything, BUT I have a
real problem as to how to stop the oil gushing out of the tank if I pull
the tap and filter assembly off, and how I stop the oil draining out of
the feed pipes likewise...

Fast and furious with a bung and a bucket? :-)

Freeze spray on the pipes?

All ideas gratefully received..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

Now I have no issue with replacing anything or everything, BUT I have a
real problem as to how to stop the oil gushing out of the tank if I pull
the tap and filter assembly off, and how I stop the oil draining out of
the feed pipes likewise...

No easy answer if you want to fix it now. All you can do is either
transfer to another container (like a 1000L IBC) or wait until the
tank's nearly empty.

Fast and furious with a bung and a bucket? :-)

Hardly.

Freeze spray on the pipes?

You won't freeze kerosene unless you're on an Antarctic base.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall

Hi

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 11:11:53 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

[...]

I know it's not diy - but when we had our tank replaced a couple of
houses ago, the guys that did it came along with a new tank (to
replace the leaking one) and a 'spare tank' which they used to store
the oil while they swapped the old one for the new one.

They had a little electric-driven pump, which they used to do the
'empty leaking tank into spare tank' followed by the 'pump back from
spare tank into new tank' thing.

Depending on the space that you've got available you could possibly
cut out the need for a spare tank by installing a replacement near to
the old one but not in quite the same place ..?

My brother had a similar thing, in his case there was a batch of
faulty tanks on his new housing estate. All got very 'emotional' - and
the council's environmental health people got involved - ISTR that it
involved large amounts of 'contaminated' soil being lorried away - so
it's probably one of those things that you need to fix sooner rather
than later (and, maybe, discreetly ??)

HTH
Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

[...]

Its a new tank - four years old..

My brother had a similar thing, in his case there was a batch of
faulty tanks on his new housing estate. All got very 'emotional' - and
the council's environmental health people got involved - ISTR that it
involved large amounts of 'contaminated' soil being lorried away - so
it's probably one of those things that you need to fix sooner rather
than later (and, maybe, discreetly ??)

Its not leaking badly..one drip or so since yesterday..

Having spilt a gallon or two of diesel there and elsewhere over the last
few years, I can report that whilst it kills plants for a few months, it
soon dissipates..mostly upwards I'd say.

HTH
Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

wrote:

[...]

I'd dig the worst of any contaminated soil out first so the diesel
doesn't go further down.

For the tap etc why not spray with degreaser, pressure wash or hose
off, dry off with a cloth, and then feel round the joints for oil
coming out, or tie kitchen paper round and see where the oil appears
on it.

If the leak is before the tap then some rags could be tied round to
soak up the oil while some sort of containment is arranged and fixed
to the tank. I'd then wait til the tank is nearly empty, jack it up
and fix the tap.

The feed pipes shouldn't drain if you can block or isolate them at the
other end.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare

On cutting the grass yesterday I noted a faint whiff of diesel around
the tank, and inspection showed that it was gently damp with diesel at
the outflow..

Now the arrangement I have there is not ideal...out of the tank there is
a tap and filter that goes on to a T piece that connects to two 10mm
compression joints, that feed the Aga and the boiler via long and hard
to bleed runs...

The WHOLE AREA of this appears to be wet, which suggests that the tap
itself is leaking as it is the highest point..

Is the leak from the shaft of the tap/valve? If so does the valve have a collar
which you can tighten to prevent the leak?

Can you undo the collar and then wind PTF round the shaft before replacing the
collar?

If not, and if there is only the occasional drip, it may be the case or wating
until you have used all the oil.

--

Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Michael Chare wrote:
On cutting the grass yesterday I noted a faint whiff of diesel around
the tank, and inspection showed that it was gently damp with diesel at
the outflow..

Now the arrangement I have there is not ideal...out of the tank there is
a tap and filter that goes on to a T piece that connects to two 10mm
compression joints, that feed the Aga and the boiler via long and hard
to bleed runs...

The WHOLE AREA of this appears to be wet, which suggests that the tap
itself is leaking as it is the highest point..

Is the leak from the shaft of the tap/valve?

yes I think so..

If so does the valve have a collar
which you can tighten to prevent the leak?

I am not sure...will check..

Can you undo the collar and then wind PTF round the shaft before replacing the
collar?

Mmm.dunno. A bit nervous about tape inside an oil line..could end up in
bad places..

If not, and if there is only the occasional drip, it may be the case or wating
until you have used all the oil.

I think that may, sadly, be the case...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare

Michael Chare wrote:

Can you undo the collar and then wind PTF round the shaft before replacing

the
collar?

Mmm.dunno. A bit nervous about tape inside an oil line..could end up in
bad places..

You said there was a filter after the tap.

I have cured a leak on my mains water stop cock using this method. - Though
the odd bit of tape in the water would not have been a problem.

If not, and if there is only the occasional drip, it may be the case or

wating
until you have used all the oil.

I think that may, sadly, be the case.

You reminded me that I have to fix a small leak on the valve of my tank gauge.

--

Michael Chare

Vaillant VCW GB 242E Over pressure valve leaking Graham UK diy 4 May 19th 06 10:37 AM
Leaking shut-off valve - emergency fix? All Thumbs Home Repair 5 October 31st 05 05:11 PM
Leaking fluidmaster valve Tim UK diy 1 October 24th 05 08:24 PM
new Kohler toilet tank leaks - is fill valve pre-installed? [email protected] Home Repair 5 July 23rd 05 03:33 AM
Kenmore Water Softener leaking water in brine tank Gary Sweeten Home Repair 2 May 25th 04 05:18 AM