All Thumbs

Default Leaking shut-off valve - emergency fix?

I just replaced a leaking mixing valve for a shower. Before I did the
repair, I turned off the hot and cold water at the shut-off valves. I
think the seal of one of the shut-off valves is worn. After operating
it, the shut-off valve is now leaking -- at a rate of 1 drop every 3 to
4 seconds. I have placed a container under the valve to catch the leak.

Does anyone know what I can do to stop the leak for tonight, short of
shutting off water to the whole house? Thanks.
JB

Usually there is a nut on the valve body behind the handle. If you GENTLY
tighten this nut a little it should stop the leak. The nut will tigten the
valve stem. Good luck.

"All Thumbs" wrote in message
I just replaced a leaking mixing valve for a shower. Before I did the
repair, I turned off the hot and cold water at the shut-off valves. I
think the seal of one of the shut-off valves is worn. After operating
it, the shut-off valve is now leaking -- at a rate of 1 drop every 3 to
4 seconds. I have placed a container under the valve to catch the leak.

Does anyone know what I can do to stop the leak for tonight, short of
shutting off water to the whole house? Thanks.

All Thumbs

JB wrote:
Usually there is a nut on the valve body behind the handle. If you GENTLY
tighten this nut a little it should stop the leak. The nut will tigten the
valve stem. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice -- it worked! The nut was surprisingly untight
when I adjusted it. I hope that's all there is to it.

Thanks a million!
marson

is there a packing nut on the valve you can tighten?

All Thumbs

marson wrote:
is there a packing nut on the valve you can tighten?

Yes. Another poster suggested the same thing (tightening the nut) and it
worked!

Thanks!

No

FYI for future reference and those that google for a similar issue. If
tightening packing nut did not solve the original posters question then
the next steps would have been as follows:

Shut off water at the main
Remove the handle (One screw at the end of the stem)
Remove the packing nut (Lefty loosey)
Wrap new packing material around stem
See
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...153-1366-80793