Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laying floor tiles on MDF boarding?

i'm not a tile expert but i think the bonding they will be refering to
will bond the tiles together but it will prob have the same affect as
silicone which will allow the tiles to move with the boards,you won't
notice the movement as it will only be slight.as i say i'm not a tiler
myself but we have a couple of tilers at my work and by the sound of it
they use the same bonding.if you think about it it makes sense because
as silicone dries it still seems soft but sticks really well so
although the tiles will be able to move you won't be physicaly able to
move them and the bonding will be exteamly strong.
hope this is of help to you.

andy
guv wrote:
We had a flood a couple of weeks ago (leaking shower)

Didnt think there was a problem with the laminate flooring in the
utility room - directly below where the shower was, but when the
assessors came round they ripped it up to view it!

Anyway - the flooring wa laid on 22mm MDF board, which whilst it looks
a bit grubby, doesnt seem to have suffered. It is completely dry and
no warping or anything.

having gone off laminat, have now decided to tile the area instead.

I appreciate the potential problem with expansion, but the tiling shop
I asked it said it wouldnt be a problem and said I just needed to use
a special adhesive that would allow for movement.

OK, but it got me thinking.... does that mean the tiles are not really
bonding to the boards primed with UPVA?

Anyone know?

Ta