Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

Default Imperial (maybe?) bath pipework

"Phantasm4489" wrote in message

Ive spent the day replacing my bathroom suite and i've come across a
significant problem.

I've successfully replaced the hot water tap on the bath with a 22mm
flexible hose with a compression fitting on one end.

Ive just cut through the cold water pipe and now discovered that it

is
not the same size as the hot. Its too wide to fit the compression
fitting onto.

The house was build in the late 40's so the original pipework is
obviously imperial, but clearly its not 3/4". Its at least a couple

of
mm wider than the 22mm compression fitting and everything ive read

on
here says that 3/4" is smaller.

I'm stuck without water now. Has anyone any idea what size this pipe
might be and if i can get anything to convert it without having to

call
in a professional plumber?

--
Phantasm4489

Unusual, but perhaps 1" - which will mate with 28mm fittings iirc

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

Phantasm4489 wrote:

Ive spent the day replacing my bathroom suite and i've come across a
significant problem.

I've successfully replaced the hot water tap on the bath with a 22mm
flexible hose with a compression fitting on one end.

Ive just cut through the cold water pipe and now discovered that it is
not the same size as the hot. Its too wide to fit the compression
fitting onto.

The house was build in the late 40's so the original pipework is
obviously imperial, but clearly its not 3/4". Its at least a couple
of mm wider than the 22mm compression fitting and everything ive read
on here says that 3/4" is smaller.

I'm stuck without water now. Has anyone any idea what size this pipe
might be and if i can get anything to convert it without having to
call in a professional plumber?

If it's only a couple of mm bigger than 22mm it's inlikely to be 1"
imperial - which is nearer to 28mm.

What's the pipe made of - it isn't lead, is it? If it is, you can get
special adapters - leadlok or somesuch - for joining lead to copper.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

If it's that close to 22mm, can you slip a piece of 22mm inside it and
solder?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

When I did my bathroom I bought a metric/imperial endfeed reducer to
soder in for that very problem. Cheers. Martin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Fri, 26 May 2006 23:53:49 +0100, Phantasm4489 wrote:

Ive spent the day replacing my bathroom suite and i've come across a
significant problem.

I've successfully replaced the hot water tap on the bath with a 22mm
flexible hose with a compression fitting on one end.

Ive just cut through the cold water pipe and now discovered that it is
not the same size as the hot. Its too wide to fit the compression
fitting onto.

The house was build in the late 40's so the original pipework is
obviously imperial, but clearly its not 3/4". Its at least a couple of
mm wider than the 22mm compression fitting and everything ive read on
here says that 3/4" is smaller.

I'm stuck without water now. Has anyone any idea what size this pipe
might be and if i can get anything to convert it without having to call
in a professional plumber?

What was the pipe made of?

My house is built 1949 so I'm thinking maybe 3/4" steel pipe?
The OD of that would be around 25mm.
The usual procedure is to unscrew it at a suitable joint and use a
brass fitting to convert it to 22mm compression.
Or thread the end with a die set (last resort).

Shower bath mixer tap woes Andy UK diy 8 August 22nd 05 03:43 PM
Bath Panel - Tiling and removal. [email protected] UK diy 11 May 27th 05 10:39 PM
Bath advice Martin Wilson UK diy 2 November 13th 04 06:44 AM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 08:49 PM
Rubber strip for front edge of bath David W.E. Roberts UK diy 9 October 14th 03 11:50 AM