Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Panic! Tile saw run out of diamonds?

well yerrs..its cut hundreds of meters of cuts, and today carving
through the quartzite mosaics, it just got hotter, and cut less well,
and frankly, its plumb wore out.

Is it worth getting a new blade? Can you get em? are they standard? Or
do I just get another cheapo from the sheds..or the BM..need it NOW as
halfway trough a run of tiles ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Is it worth getting a new blade?

Yes.

Can you get em?

Yes.

are they standard?

Yes. Several sizes. Medium sized ones are about 15 quid.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

The Natural Philosopher wrote
Is it worth getting a new blade? Can you get em? are they standard? Or
do I just get another cheapo from the sheds..or the BM..need it NOW as
halfway trough a run of tiles

What are the diameters of the blade?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Bacon wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote
Is it worth getting a new blade? Can you get em? are they standard? Or
do I just get another cheapo from the sheds..or the BM..need it NOW as
halfway trough a run of tiles

What are the diameters of the blade?

seems to be 7" OD...not sure about the shaft size..

I think the whole tile saw was only 30 squids..is it really worth it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

seems to be 7" OD...not sure about the shaft size..

I think the whole tile saw was only 30 squids..is it really worth it?

Yes. The blade will be half the cost of the saw. It will be more
environmentally friendly to use the old device, than throw it away into
landfill.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:
seems to be 7" OD...not sure about the shaft size..

I think the whole tile saw was only 30 squids..is it really worth it?

Yes. The blade will be half the cost of the saw. It will be more
environmentally friendly to use the old device, than throw it away into
landfill.

Christian.

Ta mates!

Encouraged by your info, I pulled the old thing apart, got the blade off
and nipped into the local purveyor of diamond discs..well £17.63.

I am sure Screwfix would be cheaper, but delivery sometime next week?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:
seems to be 7" OD...not sure about the shaft size..

I think the whole tile saw was only 30 squids..is it really worth it?

Yes. The blade will be half the cost of the saw. It will be more
environmentally friendly to use the old device, than throw it away into
landfill.

Christian.

Oh..a further point for the archive. Prior to it giving up completely it
had been smelling of either hot metal or ozone...I wondered if the motor
was giving up the ghost...but the new blade (which is 7mm bigger than
the old, with the diamonds.. not only cuts once more like a hot knife
through deep frozen margarine, but also doesn't pong anymore..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Fri, 26 May 2006 18:10:07 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Christian McArdle wrote:
seems to be 7" OD...not sure about the shaft size..

I think the whole tile saw was only 30 squids..is it really worth it?

Yes. The blade will be half the cost of the saw. It will be more
environmentally friendly to use the old device, than throw it away into
landfill.

Christian.

Oh..a further point for the archive. Prior to it giving up completely it
had been smelling of either hot metal or ozone...I wondered if the motor
was giving up the ghost...but the new blade (which is 7mm bigger than
the old, with the diamonds.. not only cuts once more like a hot knife
through deep frozen margarine, but also doesn't pong anymore..

And I think you will find they can put the new blade in your coffin,
probably in little worse condition than when you fitted it, decades
before. I have learnt that there are "diamond disks" and "Diamond
Disks".
Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh

And I think you will find they can put the new blade in your coffin,
probably in little worse condition than when you fitted it, decades
before. I have learnt that there are "diamond disks" and "Diamond
Disks".

OK, please tell. Which are the ones worth having?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Is it worth getting a new blade?

Screwfix sell some sizes.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Oh..a further point for the archive. Prior to it giving up completely it
had been smelling of either hot metal or ozone...I wondered if the motor
was giving up the ghost...but the new blade (which is 7mm bigger than
the old, with the diamonds.. not only cuts once more like a hot knife
through deep frozen margarine, but also doesn't pong anymore..

If it's a PlasPlugs they have a thermal fuse which has a habit of failing
long before the smoke of death...

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Recently saw a plasplugs blade at Wilkinsons for around 8 quid recently
..... don't know what size though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

rrh wrote:

And I think you will find they can put the new blade in your coffin,
probably in little worse condition than when you fitted it, decades
before. I have learnt that there are "diamond disks" and "Diamond
Disks".

OK, please tell. Which are the ones worth having?

Well for example:

These are 'kin expensive, but outstandingly good - even on the hardest
tiles etc. They cut smooth and fast and leave a very good polished edge.
A friend of mine bought one about a year ago and has used it for
anything and everything since (including cutting the hardest porcelain
tiles that would knacker £25 quid a pop pro tile drills in under ten
holes).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

John Rumm wrote:
rrh wrote:

And I think you will find they can put the new blade in your coffin,
probably in little worse condition than when you fitted it, decades
before. I have learnt that there are "diamond disks" and "Diamond
Disks".

OK, please tell. Which are the ones worth having?

Well for example:

These are 'kin expensive, but outstandingly good - even on the hardest
tiles etc. They cut smooth and fast and leave a very good polished edge.
A friend of mine bought one about a year ago and has used it for
anything and everything since (including cutting the hardest porcelain
tiles that would knacker £25 quid a pop pro tile drills in under ten
holes).

Well the last one, that came on a 39 quid machine, has cut slate, tough
ceramic, marble, porcelain, terracotta and quartzite prefectly. It just
wore out.

The replacement, at 17 quid odd, seems just as good.

No need for more IMHO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Well the last one, that came on a 39 quid machine, has cut slate,

To be fair, while some of the others are a credit to it, slate can be
cut with a thumbnail!

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Guy King wrote:
The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Well the last one, that came on a 39 quid machine, has cut slate,

To be fair, while some of the others are a credit to it, slate can be
cut with a thumbnail!

A circular saw is quite good for that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Guy King wrote:
The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Well the last one, that came on a 39 quid machine, has cut slate,

To be fair, while some of the others are a credit to it, slate can be
cut with a thumbnail!

Not flooring grade slate it can't!

Tile installation estimate in line with market? ate1 Home Repair 3 October 28th 04 11:13 PM
**** Tile questions ceramic .vs. porcelain **** TheCouchCruncher Home Repair 6 October 9th 04 03:27 AM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Ownership 17 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Tile Indentation & Cracking, Installer, and the Attorney General Ben Home Repair 8 July 18th 03 02:25 PM