Posted to uk.d-i-y
Skier

Default Land drainage advice

Hi

I am currently in the process of doing the garden which is a sloping
surface(towards the house) at the moment.

I am going to be leveling and building a wall to make 2 level surfaces. At
the moment the ground is clay and water does not drain through. Obviously I
have to include some kind of drainage into the design. My initial thoughts
were to create some kind of french drains angled toward the house so that
the water ends up where it ends up at the moment. I have had a quick look at
what is there and it looks like a load of gravel near the foundation and if
I dump water into it then it dissapears after a few seconds. Does anyone
know if it is regulation (house was built about 4 years ago) to include some
drainage around the house. If that is the case I think I will be ok doing
what this. any thoughts?

The other option I have is the rainwater downpipes ar in the same location.
Can I "T" into this and connect my land drain? Though about a sediment trap
before the T.

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Skier wrote:

The other option I have is the rainwater downpipes ar in the same location.
Can I "T" into this and connect my land drain? Though about a sediment trap
before the T.

How does a "sediment trap" work?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kevin

This sounds very similar to my garden. I've mulled over various ideas,
including making a soakway at the furthest point from the house. This
is difficult because I would be attempting to run the water against the
natural slope of the garden. I don't really feel too comfortable about
having the soakaway close to the house as you have suggested but cannot
give any firm reasons why this is a bad idea.
My latest idea is to put something like a drive drain running parallel
to the rear of the house and about two or three feet from the house. I
should then be able to run this into one of the rainwater gulleys. The
only part I haven't yet worked out is how to get the water from the
land drains into the drive drain, or even if I can make some kind of
arrangement using just land drains which would remove the need for the
expensive drive drain altogether.
I'm also thinking that I could hide the outflow from the land drains
underneath some decking which I'm thinking of putting along the back of
the house, but again I would be hoping to eventually route the water
into one of the rainwater gulleys rather than just let it soak away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Skier

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Skier wrote:

The other option I have is the rainwater downpipes ar in the same
location. Can I "T" into this and connect my land drain? Though about a
sediment trap before the T.

How does a "sediment trap" work?

it is basically a 'bin' that is sunk into the ground and then the inlet and
outlel pipes enter into it at the top at opposite ends. as the water flows
through it the heavier sediment drops to the bottom and does not enter the
the other part of the drain. After a few years you would need to empty the
trap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Skier

"Kevin" wrote in message
ups.com...
This sounds very similar to my garden. I've mulled over various ideas,
including making a soakway at the furthest point from the house.
This is difficult because I would be attempting to run the water against
the
natural slope of the garden.

same here and the soak away would never drain in my case leaving me with a
large underground pool that would eventually overflow

I don't really feel too comfortable about
having the soakaway close to the house as you have suggested but cannot
give any firm reasons why this is a bad idea.

This is my question too, I think the builders should have included some kind
of soakaway into the building already and I want to 'tap' into it - or
rather continue using it because that where the water ends up anyhow.

My latest idea is to put something like a drive drain running parallel
to the rear of the house and about two or three feet from the house. I
should then be able to run this into one of the rainwater gulleys. The
only part I haven't yet worked out is how to get the water from the
land drains into the drive drain, or even if I can make some kind of
arrangement using just land drains which would remove the need for the
expensive drive drain altogether.
I'm also thinking that I could hide the outflow from the land drains
underneath some decking which I'm thinking of putting along the back of
the house, but again I would be hoping to eventually route the water
into one of the rainwater gulleys rather than just let it soak away.

thats pretty much my plan, have a look on a search for french drains, would
be alot cheaper than a drive drain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Kevin wrote:
My latest idea is to put something like a drive drain running parallel
to the rear of the house and about two or three feet from the house.

What is a "drive drain"? One of the Accodrain type things?

should then be able to run this into one of the rainwater gulleys. The
only part I haven't yet worked out is how to get the water from the
land drains into the drive drain, or even if I can make some kind of
arrangement using just land drains which would remove the need for the
expensive drive drain altogether.

You could have a gravel square with a trapped gulley/grille to
underground drain.

I'm also thinking that I could hide the outflow from the land drains
underneath some decking which I'm thinking of putting along the back of
the house, but again I would be hoping to eventually route the water
into one of the rainwater gulleys rather than just let it soak away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Skier wrote:

[...]

Your best option is a manhole into the surface water drain. It is very
silly to have loose water slopping around a house and especially
dangerous in clay soil where it might lift and drop the foundation
seasonally.

You can get some pastic ring inspection worreverey-callems that fit on
onto the other. You might want to brick up around them if you are going
deep but they are OK for 3 or 4 layers:
http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain05.htm

If you make a brick manhole then you can make it large enough to have a
weir to collect debris in one chamber and drain out the other. That
might be cheaper than the road drain thingie you seem to be discussing
elswhere on this thread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Skier wrote:
[...]

A French drain is just a ditch filled with gravel, so you can walk on it.

It has itself to be drained somewhere else...I take it your house is not
at the bottom of a dip, but on a slope?

Somewhere you have to find a point lower than the house to drain to.

And it would be wise, if dumping water from upper terraces, to increase
flow to it from the house French drains.

I have the reverse situation - ground slopes from the road to the house,
then down the garden. The house is surrounded by a moat, filled with
gravel and a perforated pipe. This French drain itself is drained by a
pipe to a pond..I have terraced a small section of lawn around the house
and the brick wall is rubble loaded behind as backfill, and has a few
pipes running through it to keep the wall dry. It works well, but dumps
water to the lower lawn.

You have to be aware of where the water is going before you dumpy more
into the French drain...maybe there is a soakaway somewhere?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy

Skier wrote:
[...]

IIRC newish regs say a soakaway has to be 5m or more from the house. I
learned this when I looked into getting rid of my rainwater into a soakaway
to save on the water rates. I'm still mulling over the pros and cons.

Andy