Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default harvesting rainwater from a lead roof

Is it safe to collect rainwater from a roof with a flat leaded area.
This would be for watering plants. Many thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

jonathan.ives wrote:
Is it safe to collect rainwater from a roof with a flat leaded area.
This would be for watering plants. Many thanks

Yes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On 24 May 2006 18:13:32 +0200, Chris Bacon wrote:

jonathan.ives wrote:
Is it safe to collect rainwater from a roof with a flat leaded area.

It would be safe to collect it.

This would be for watering plants. Many thanks

I'd think twice before using it to water plants. OTOH since it's probably
going into a soakaway under the garden at the moment, what more harm could
it do?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 24 May 2006 19:16:22 +0100, Steve Firth
wrote:

|On 24 May 2006 18:13:32 +0200, Chris Bacon wrote:
|
| jonathan.ives wrote:
| Is it safe to collect rainwater from a roof with a flat leaded area.
|
|It would be safe to collect it.
|
| This would be for watering plants. Many thanks
|
|I'd think twice before using it to water plants. OTOH since it's probably
|going into a soakaway under the garden at the moment, what more harm could
|it do?

Get into flowers, no problem.
Get into vegetables Hmmmmm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it safe to collect rainwater from a roof with a flat leaded area.
This would be for watering plants. Many thanks

Yes.

Lead on a roof would have oxidised very quickly, the resulting coating would
be insoluble in water.

The mains water to our house comes through lead pipes.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 24 May 2006 20:09:09 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Is it safe to collect rainwater from a roof with a flat leaded area.
| This would be for watering plants. Many thanks
|
|Yes.
|
|Lead on a roof would have oxidised very quickly, the resulting coating would
|be insoluble in water.
|
|The mains water to our house comes through lead pipes.

About time you thought about replacing them.

Mains water in soft water areas has calcium carbonate added to reduce the
tendency of lead to dissolve. I saw them adding it mumble years ago

Rain water is by definition very soft, and will dissolve lead fast.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:
Is it safe to collect rainwater from a roof with a flat leaded area.
This would be for watering plants. Many thanks

yes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it safe to collect rainwater from a roof with a flat leaded area.
This would be for watering plants. Many thanks

Yes.

Lead on a roof would have oxidised very quickly, the resulting coating would
be insoluble in water.

The mains water to our house comes through lead pipes.

Ah...THAT explains it...;-)
Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2006 20:09:09 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Is it safe to collect rainwater from a roof with a flat leaded area.
| This would be for watering plants. Many thanks
|
|Yes.
|
|Lead on a roof would have oxidised very quickly, the resulting coating would
|be insoluble in water.
|
|The mains water to our house comes through lead pipes.

About time you thought about replacing them.

Mains water in soft water areas has calcium carbonate added to reduce the
tendency of lead to dissolve. I saw them adding it mumble years ago

Rain water is by definition very soft, and will dissolve lead fast.

Thats why mediaeval flashing on church rooves has all long since
disappeared then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message

| Is it safe to collect rainwater from a roof with a flat leaded area.
| This would be for watering plants. Many thanks
|
|Yes.
|
|Lead on a roof would have oxidised very quickly, the resulting coating
would
|be insoluble in water.
|
|The mains water to our house comes through lead pipes.

About time you thought about replacing them.

sigh

They are before the stop tap. They are Yorkshire Water's responsibility.

Mains water in soft water areas has calcium carbonate added to reduce the
tendency of lead to dissolve. I saw them adding it mumble years ago

another sigh

No, that's not why it's added. It's about preventing furring of human
arteries, not water pipes.

Rain water is by definition very soft, and will dissolve lead fast.

third sigh

No it won't, but in any case it doesn't get into contact with lead on the
roof or in pipes. Lead is a very reactive material and oxidises before your
eyes. That's why when you're doing lead plumbing you need to prevent the
oxidation to allow soldering, with tallow or some other flux.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Wed, 24 May 2006 19:45:32 +0100 someone who may be Dave Fawthrop
wrote this:-

Get into flowers, no problem.
Get into vegetables Hmmmmm.

Unless the water ponds on the roof for long periods I don't suppose
it would pick up much lead.

As for the effect, perhaps something to ask in a gardening group.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
"Mary Fisher"
|The mains water to our house comes through lead pipes.

About time you thought about replacing them.

No point.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
Rain water is by definition very soft, and will dissolve lead fast.

Thats why mediaeval flashing on church rooves has all long since
disappeared then?

No, that's down to other reasons which are not to do with lead
"dissolving" in water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 24 May 2006 20:54:22 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

|"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
.. .

| | Is it safe to collect rainwater from a roof with a flat leaded area.
| | This would be for watering plants. Many thanks
| |
| |Yes.
| |
| |Lead on a roof would have oxidised very quickly, the resulting coating
| would
| |be insoluble in water.
| |
| |The mains water to our house comes through lead pipes.
|
| About time you thought about replacing them.
|
|sigh
|
|They are before the stop tap. They are Yorkshire Water's responsibility.

If mine were lead *anywhere*, I would do something about it, whoever's
responsibility they are. At least I would sample the water first thing in
a morning when water in the copper pipe has gone down the sink, and the
water which has been in the lead pipe overnight and send it to Yorkshire
water for analysis, reserving a second and third samples for yourself.

Do not let them take the samples!

They will replace the lead pipes free of charge see below.
Ain't Google wonderful!

| Mains water in soft water areas has calcium carbonate added to reduce the
| tendency of lead to dissolve. I saw them adding it mumble years ago
|
|another sigh
|
|No, that's not why it's added. It's about preventing furring of human
|arteries, not water pipes.

I asked at the time, on a trip round a water works, and that is what they
said.

Chalk has two effects as Lead pipes have been phased out the effect of not
disolving lead has become less important, the absolute danger has not
changed. to human health than furred arteries.

Remember that we no longer allow lead in domestic paints, and have changed
to unleaded petrol. Not to mention the phasing out of lead water pipes. All
because of the toxisity of lead.

http://www.yorkshirewater.com/?OBH=2...H=lead%20pipes

There's virtually no lead present in our water sources or in the water we
supply from our treatment works. However, many older properties have lead
supply pipes, which connect our water main to your property, and also as
part of the internal plumbing. Lead is also present in some types of solder
used for joining copper pipes. The lead from these pipes and fittings can
dissolve into the water and thus result in raised levels of lead in water
from the tap. Installation of lead plumbing and use of lead solders have
been prohibited by Water Fittings Regulations (formerly known as Water
Byelaws) for many years
How do we perform?
Modification of the treatment process (known as plumbosolvency control)
reduces the amount of lead dissolved from pipes. Since 1995 we've installed
this treatment at almost all of our treatment works. As a result,
compliance with the current 25 ?g/l standard has improved from 92% in 1995
to greater than 99% in 2004 and we're already very near to full compliance
with the future standard of 10 ?g/l, with more than 98% of all samples
taken at customers? taps complying with this strict standard. Further
reduction in leaching of lead into the water is being achieved by
additional optimisation of treatment processes.

Despite this great improvement in compliance, the removal of lead pipes and
fittings is the best way of removing all risk of elevated levels of lead in
your water. If you believe that you've lead pipes or that solder
containing lead may have been used in your plumbing and you are concerned
about the possible level of lead in water at your tap, you can contact us
here or by phoning 0845 1 24 24 24 and requesting samples to be taken.
We'll replace any lead pipes in our part of the supply from the water main
to the stop tap at the boundary of your property free of charge, if we
receive a written request from a customer who is prepared to remove their
lead supply pipe, which runs from the boundary of the property to the point
of entry into the building.

We advise that water that's been standing in lead pipes for long periods
(for example, overnight) shouldn?t be used for drinking, cooking or
preparing babies' feeds. About 1 gallon / 4.5 litres (or half a washing-up
bowl) should be flushed from the kitchen cold tap before such use, or less
if water has been drawn recently from other taps or by flushing the toilet
etc.

| Rain water is by definition very soft, and will dissolve lead fast.
|
|third sigh
|
|No it won't, but in any case it doesn't get into contact with lead on the
|roof or in pipes. Lead is a very reactive material and oxidises before your
|eyes. That's why when you're doing lead plumbing you need to prevent the
|oxidation to allow soldering, with tallow or some other flux.

Precicely. Lead oxide(s) are more dangerous than metalic lead, as anyone
who watched Tony Robinson on "Worst Jobs" *this week* will know. see also.
http://www.espimetals.com/msds's/leadoxide.pdf
http://www.macslab.com/toxic.html
Ain't google wonderful

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Thats why mediaeval flashing on church rooves has all long since
disappeared then?

No, that'll be Eddie Grundy.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
.. .

| | Is it safe to collect rainwater from a roof with a flat leaded area.
| | This would be for watering plants. Many thanks
| |
| |Yes.
| |
| |Lead on a roof would have oxidised very quickly, the resulting coating
| would
| |be insoluble in water.
| |
> [...]

preparing babies' feeds. About 1 gallon / 4.5 litres (or half a washing-up
bowl) should be flushed from the kitchen cold tap before such use, or less
if water has been drawn recently from other taps or by flushing the toilet
etc.

| Rain water is by definition very soft, and will dissolve lead fast.
|
|third sigh
|
|No it won't, but in any case it doesn't get into contact with lead on the
|roof or in pipes. Lead is a very reactive material and oxidises before
your
|eyes. That's why when you're doing lead plumbing you need to prevent the
|oxidation to allow soldering, with tallow or some other flux.

Precicely. Lead oxide(s) are more dangerous than metalic lead, as anyone
who watched Tony Robinson on "Worst Jobs" *this week* will know. see also.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message

Precicely. Lead oxide(s) are more dangerous than metalic lead, as anyone
who watched Tony Robinson on "Worst Jobs" *this week* will know. see also.
http://www.espimetals.com/msds's/leadoxide.pdf
http://www.macslab.com/toxic.html
Ain't google wonderful

I can't be bothered replying to the rest of your misinformed post, the last
bit about Worst Jobs discredits the rest.

I've worked for this programme but shall refuse if asked again, it's hype,
it's not truth, it's not real, it's entertainment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Thats why mediaeval flashing on church rooves has all long since
disappeared then?

It hasn't!

No, that'll be Eddie Grundy.

Poor Eddie has another disappearance on his mind at the moment ...

Mary

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Dave Fawthrop" wrote...
[ snip great big quote with no content ]

Hm, does that confirm the effects of lead in the water...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2006 20:09:09 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Is it safe to collect rainwater from a roof with a flat leaded area.
| This would be for watering plants. Many thanks
|
|Yes.
|
|Lead on a roof would have oxidised very quickly, the resulting
|coating would be insoluble in water.
|
|The mains water to our house comes through lead pipes.
About time you thought about replacing them.
Mains water in soft water areas has calcium carbonate added to
reduce the
tendency of lead to dissolve. I saw them adding it mumble years ago
Rain water is by definition very soft, and will dissolve lead fast.

Thats why mediaeval flashing on church rooves has all long since
disappeared then?

Well, a lot of it has

.... but that's another story

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
Rain water is by definition very soft, and will dissolve lead fast.

That will be why lead on a roof has such a *very* short life?

--
*On the other hand, you have different fingers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
That's why when you're doing lead plumbing you need to prevent the
oxidation to allow soldering, with tallow or some other flux.

Tallow isn't a flux - quite the reverse. You use it on the wiping cloth to
stop it sticking to the molten lead.

--
*Proofread carefully to see if you any words out or mispeld something *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 24 May 2006 20:16:46 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

Rain water is by definition very soft, and will dissolve lead fast.

Indeed, hence the importance of properly patinating any freshly cleaned
lead roofwork. Bare lead will pinhole if left untreated (actually it
probably won't now - back in smoky '50s cities it was a different
matter).

Once patinated though, it's a different story - the surface is no longer
bare metallic lead. A lead storage cistern is an issue, but rain simply
passing over a lead roof isn't going to collect any measurable lead
content.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

No, that'll be Eddie Grundy.

Poor Eddie has another disappearance on his mind at the moment ...

Dunno - I haven't listened for ages.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
Rain water is by definition very soft, and will dissolve lead fast.

Thats why mediaeval flashing on church rooves has all long since
disappeared then?

No, that's down to other reasons which are not to do with lead
"dissolving" in water.

I was being sarcastic...

Actually loss of mediaeval lead flashing is usually down to thieves..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Chris Bacon wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Dave Fawthrop" wrote...
[ snip great big quote with no content ]

Hm, does that confirm the effects of lead in the water...

First time for everything - she is speechless! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

help - leaking flat roof boaz Home Repair 11 January 4th 06 01:20 AM
Lead Poisoning kr0 Home Repair 36 January 21st 05 04:02 AM
Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation? Jay Chan Home Repair 12 March 30th 04 05:16 PM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 10:28 AM