Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default harvesting rainwater from a lead roof

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message

| Is it safe to collect rainwater from a roof with a flat leaded area.
| This would be for watering plants. Many thanks
|
|Yes.
|
|Lead on a roof would have oxidised very quickly, the resulting coating
would
|be insoluble in water.
|
|The mains water to our house comes through lead pipes.

About time you thought about replacing them.

sigh

They are before the stop tap. They are Yorkshire Water's responsibility.

Mains water in soft water areas has calcium carbonate added to reduce the
tendency of lead to dissolve. I saw them adding it mumble years ago

another sigh

No, that's not why it's added. It's about preventing furring of human
arteries, not water pipes.

Rain water is by definition very soft, and will dissolve lead fast.

third sigh

No it won't, but in any case it doesn't get into contact with lead on the
roof or in pipes. Lead is a very reactive material and oxidises before your
eyes. That's why when you're doing lead plumbing you need to prevent the
oxidation to allow soldering, with tallow or some other flux.