Posted to uk.d-i-y
Neil

Default Floor tiles over asphalt

I've finally got around to refitting our ground floor ensuite. SWMBO has
decreed that as well as a walk in shower etc etc etc we should have a tiled
floor. All the tile adhesive on sale at the sheds contains warnings that it
is not suitable for use on asphalt. I assume that this is due to the non
porous nature of asphalt and as a result the tile adhesive would not form an
effective bond. Are there any other products that would be suitable to bond
cermic tiles to asphalt. I am loath to rip up the asphalt and lay a screed
for what is a fairly small area. Ideas anyone ?

Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MB

Default Floor tiles over asphalt: yes

We, the unknowing, bought our house 32 years ago that had a bit of a damp
basement that was not used as such but for office, bedroom, etc. The
following spring, after we'd had the floorboards and joists replaced with
new of the same, an hours' long downpour flooded the rooms when a tsunami
roared down the street and entered the rooms through the old, metal cellar
windows (the house stands lower than the street-- but that's another story).

Thereafter we had the wooden floors ripped out and had the "floors"
asphalted, just like street pavement (and we had the windows replaced with
glass blocks). On top of the asphalt we laid carpet tiles, the kind that
are heavy enough not to require adhesive. Perfect.

The glass blocks have been replaced by real windows, in the meantime, after
the street was paved with curbing to prevent future Niagara Falls, and we've
insulated the walls from the outside. For you who are new at all of this:
never buy a house that stands lower than the street, and take out enough
mortgage to do a proper job right from the start.

Senior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I've finally got around to refitting our ground floor ensuite. SWMBO has
decreed that as well as a walk in shower etc etc etc we should have a tiled
floor. All the tile adhesive on sale at the sheds contains warnings that it
is not suitable for use on asphalt. I assume that this is due to the non
porous nature of asphalt and as a result the tile adhesive would not form an
effective bond. Are there any other products that would be suitable to bond
cermic tiles to asphalt. I am loath to rip up the asphalt and lay a screed
for what is a fairly small area. Ideas anyone ?

Neil
Look at using BAL Single Part Flexible or Rapidset Flexible tile adhesive.

Reading the 'destructions' on the bag it says it can be laid on mastic asphalt bases as long as they are cleaned with detergent to remove dirt.

Then I suppose it just bonds to it!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Neil

Cordless Crazy wrote:

Look at using BAL Single Part Flexible or Rapidset Flexible tile
adhesive.

Reading the 'destructions' on the bag it says it can be laid on mastic
asphalt bases as long as they are cleaned with detergent to remove
dirt.

Then I suppose it just bonds to it!!

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. Neil