Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vortex

Default [WTB] Perforated steel strip.

Hi,

I am looking for a source of perforated steel strip, to reinforce some
"raised beds" I am building (the horticultural variety).

Proposed construction will use 600mm vertical sections of treated 200 x 38
constructional timber - of which I have a vast amount - connected on the
back and out of sight by said steel strip with a view to making
curved/profiled beds. I suppose the end result would be similar to a
"opened up" barrel when viewed from behind.

I think I require 25mm-ish x 3mm-ish x lots of metres of meccano-like strip.
Preferably galvanized. Surely such steel strip must be readily available,
but can anybody recommend a source because I do not know where to start
looking!

Only though so far is to find a Dexion (or similar) distributor. I'll also
talk with steel stockholders tomorrow

Any other suggestions, or products I can misuse for the application?

david

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Autolycus

"Vortex" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I am looking for a source of perforated steel strip, to reinforce some
"raised beds" I am building (the horticultural variety).

Proposed construction will use 600mm vertical sections of treated 200
x 38 constructional timber - of which I have a vast amount - connected
on the back and out of sight by said steel strip with a view to making
curved/profiled beds.

snip

Toolstation item 60768

or

both a bit thinner than you had in mind, but easy to buy

Also from Wickes, or a builders merchant, but Wickes tend to be pricey
for this sort of thing, and BMs have an impenetrable pricing policy, so
you won't know how much it was till you get home and check your invoice.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vortex

Toolstation item 60768

or

both a bit thinner than you had in mind, but easy to buy

Also from Wickes, or a builders merchant, but Wickes tend to be pricey for
this sort of thing, and BMs have an impenetrable pricing policy, so you
won't know how much it was till you get home and check your invoice.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Just the ticket, I reckon. Whilst I have never heard of "builders band"
before I will investigate tomorrow.

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Vortex wrote:
[...]

Go to a builders merchants and ask for wallplate tie bars, they are
approximately 2 feet long and are shaped like this ¬

They /may/ be galvanised but expect them to rust, unless you paint them

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Vortex wrote:
Toolstation item 60768

or

both a bit thinner than you had in mind, but easy to buy

Also from Wickes, or a builders merchant, but Wickes tend to be
pricey for this sort of thing, and BMs have an impenetrable pricing
policy, so you won't know how much it was till you get home and
check your invoice. --
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g.
)***

Just the ticket, I reckon. Whilst I have never heard of "builders
band" before I will investigate tomorrow.

Thanks.

You can bend it with thumb and forefinger.

The steel bars I mentioned in the other reply (blueyonder seems to be
suffering from delays tonight, I've only just seen this reply, even though
it was sent hours ago) are about 5-6mm thick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
vortex2

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Vortex wrote:
Toolstation item 60768

or

both a bit thinner than you had in mind, but easy to buy

Also from Wickes, or a builders merchant, but Wickes tend to be
pricey for this sort of thing, and BMs have an impenetrable pricing
policy, so you won't know how much it was till you get home and
check your invoice. --
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g.
)***

Just the ticket, I reckon. Whilst I have never heard of "builders
band" before I will investigate tomorrow.

Thanks.

You can bend it with thumb and forefinger.

The steel bars I mentioned in the other reply (blueyonder seems to be
suffering from delays tonight, I've only just seen this reply, even though
it was sent hours ago) are about 5-6mm thick

Thanks for the suggestion Phil.

Wallplate bars are excessive for the application. I have considered them.

I purchased a reel of "Builders Band" this morning, and I reckon it's
exactly what I need.

I'll know tomorrow!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Autolycus

"Vortex" wrote in message

(and snipped the attribution but not the sig!)

Toolstation item 60768

or

both a bit thinner than you had in mind, but easy to buy

Just the ticket, I reckon. Whilst I have never heard of "builders
band" before I will investigate tomorrow.

Forgot to add - if it's like many of the other items of "builders
ironmongery" that are sold, it will have disproportionately large holes
for its fasteners. Some are designed to use square twist nails
(Screwfix 12788). For things like the Restraint Straps suggested by
Phil, you need No 12 or 14 round-head woodscrews, which the likes of
Screwfix and Toolstation conveniently don't sell, or 6mm coachscrews.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Perforated Steel Fencing Supplier ???? gray UK diy 3 July 15th 05 02:17 PM
Old Steel - New Steel Jim Stewart Metalworking 29 April 5th 04 09:24 PM
"homemade" tool steel George Watson Metalworking 39 January 24th 04 12:06 AM
Plastering onto steel Frank Z UK diy 9 July 31st 03 01:18 PM