Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

Default Plastering - rough spots and lines

Hi,

I've read many great guides on this newsgroup on plastering and so I
thought I'd have a go at replastering some small areas of a bedroom.

Mostly it went well (I got more on the walls than on the floor!) but I
did get some rough spots which did not polish out. They are small but
look "gritty".

The worse problem is that, although the plaster looks smooth at a
casual glance, it is actually slightly "ribbed". The old plaster is
also like this but I don't think this looks ok.

Does anyone have any tips for preventing these problems in the future?

TIA, Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson

Mark wrote:
Hi,

I've read many great guides on this newsgroup on plastering and so I
thought I'd have a go at replastering some small areas of a bedroom.

Mostly it went well (I got more on the walls than on the floor!) but I
did get some rough spots which did not polish out. They are small but
look "gritty".

The worse problem is that, although the plaster looks smooth at a
casual glance, it is actually slightly "ribbed". The old plaster is
also like this but I don't think this looks ok.

Does anyone have any tips for preventing these problems in the future?

TIA, Mark

Practise. The rough spots probably never got trowelled properly - are
they slightly lower than the surrounding work ?

If you look at the job with a light at a shallow angle you will be
scared silly.
Even on pro work !

Fill the rough spots with a fine surface filler.
Sometimes the ridges are almost just water lines, and can be sanded
out.
However, if the whole surface is zig-zagged in and out of the wall, you
have been putting more pressure on one side of the trowel than the
other. There's not much to fix that except re-skimming.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Mark wrote:
I've read many great guides on this newsgroup on plastering and so I
thought I'd have a go at replastering some small areas of a bedroom.

What were you (patch?) plastering on? Lime plaster - render - gypsum
plaster - ?

Mostly it went well (I got more on the walls than on the floor!) but I
did get some rough spots which did not polish out. They are small but
look "gritty".

Contamination of the plaster with something from the base?

The worse problem is that, although the plaster looks smooth at a
casual glance, it is actually slightly "ribbed". The old plaster is
also like this but I don't think this looks ok.

Rbbed, or undulating? If ribbed, it's from your float rattling
on the surface. More water, less speed, go at it from another
angle.

Does anyone have any tips for preventing these problems in the future?

Do it again (and again..).
Posted to uk.d-i-y
VisionSet

"Mark" wrote in message

The worse problem is that, although the plaster looks smooth at a
casual glance, it is actually slightly "ribbed". The old plaster is
also like this but I don't think this looks ok.

If the ribs are the order of 1 - 5 cm apart and generally horizontal then
this is likely to be too wet a mix, I think its called sloughing.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Mark wrote:
Hi,

I've read many great guides on this newsgroup on plastering and so I
thought I'd have a go at replastering some small areas of a bedroom.

Mostly it went well (I got more on the walls than on the floor!) but I
did get some rough spots which did not polish out. They are small but
look "gritty".

The worse problem is that, although the plaster looks smooth at a
casual glance, it is actually slightly "ribbed". The old plaster is
also like this but I don't think this looks ok.

Does anyone have any tips for preventing these problems in the future?

Once the plaster is on, you've got to keep it wet and troweled until it
looks something like smooth, allowing it to dry out/partially set before
trying to trowel up is a mistake.
The surface to be plastered should be moist or sealed with PVA - trying to
skim over bone dry backing plaster is a recipe for disaster, and you will
almost always end up with a finish that resembles a crocodile's back.
(seriously, it's like lots of squareish segments)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

On 15 May 2006 15:01:00 +0200, Chris Bacon
wrote:

Mark wrote:
I've read many great guides on this newsgroup on plastering and so I
thought I'd have a go at replastering some small areas of a bedroom.

What were you (patch?) plastering on? Lime plaster - render - gypsum
plaster - ?

It's a mixture of new render, old blocks, and gypsum plaster. (I'm
using thistle multi-finish.)

Mostly it went well (I got more on the walls than on the floor!) but I
did get some rough spots which did not polish out. They are small but
look "gritty".

Contamination of the plaster with something from the base?

I don't think so. I was very careful to remove all loose material
before starting. I used two coats of diluted PVA before plastering.
(the first allowed to dry, the second immediately before plastering).

The worse problem is that, although the plaster looks smooth at a
casual glance, it is actually slightly "ribbed". The old plaster is
also like this but I don't think this looks ok.

Rbbed, or undulating? If ribbed, it's from your float rattling
on the surface. More water, less speed, go at it from another
angle.

Ribbed. I did use quite a bit of water - it was dripping off the wall
in places.

Does anyone have any tips for preventing these problems in the future?

Do it again (and again..).

Thanks ;-)

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:34:41 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Once the plaster is on, you've got to keep it wet and troweled until it
looks something like smooth, allowing it to dry out/partially set before
trying to trowel up is a mistake.

I only applied water when polishing using a mist sprayer. Do I need to
apply water before this? The plaster looked very wet at this stage.

The surface to be plastered should be moist or sealed with PVA - trying to
skim over bone dry backing plaster is a recipe for disaster, and you will
almost always end up with a finish that resembles a crocodile's back.
(seriously, it's like lots of squareish segments)

I did forget that once and the plaster looked like a dried up river
bed.

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:

Once the plaster is on, you've got to keep it wet and troweled until
it looks something like smooth, allowing it to dry out/partially set
before trying to trowel up is a mistake.

I only applied water when polishing using a mist sprayer. Do I need to
apply water before this? The plaster looked very wet at this stage.

The surface to be plastered should be moist or sealed with PVA -
trying to skim over bone dry backing plaster is a recipe for
disaster, and you will almost always end up with a finish that
resembles a crocodile's back. (seriously, it's like lots of
squareish segments)

I did forget that once and the plaster looked like a dried up river
bed.

Mark

The ridges are caused by the trowel vibrating over the surface,you should
be able to hear and feel this action when polishing.
If so immediatly smoothout this area.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
VisionSet

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Mark wrote:
I used two coats of diluted PVA before plastering.
(the first allowed to dry, the second immediately before plastering).

FWIW letting PVA dry before plastering (or rendering, or
repairing concrete) isn't really a great idea, it can
make plastering difficult, and the PVA doesn't work well.
Just swish it on and go straight onto it.

IME, just the opposite, I've only done bare brick (super dry, super suck) &
2 coat browning/multi, I always do 2 coats of pva and alow to dry
thoroughly. Works fine.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Chris Bacon wrote:
Mark wrote:
I used two coats of diluted PVA before plastering.
(the first allowed to dry, the second immediately before plastering).

FWIW letting PVA dry before plastering (or rendering, or
repairing concrete) isn't really a great idea, it can
make plastering difficult, and the PVA doesn't work well.
Just swish it on and go straight onto it.

I see,so if you have a wall 10'x9' YOU can actually cover that wall before
all the PVA has dried out? bearing in mind PVA on a wall gets sucked in and
dry in seconds.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Mark wrote:
I used two coats of diluted PVA before plastering.
(the first allowed to dry, the second immediately before
plastering).

FWIW letting PVA dry before plastering (or rendering, or
repairing concrete) isn't really a great idea, it can
make plastering difficult, and the PVA doesn't work well.
Just swish it on and go straight onto it.

I see,so if you have a wall 10'x9' YOU can actually cover that wall
before all the PVA has dried out? bearing in mind PVA on a wall gets
sucked in and dry in seconds.

Not if you use a roller on a brush steel, and it doesn't matter about it
soaking in, it's already killed the suction by then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Mark wrote:
I used two coats of diluted PVA before plastering.
(the first allowed to dry, the second immediately before
plastering).

FWIW letting PVA dry before plastering (or rendering, or
repairing concrete) isn't really a great idea, it can
make plastering difficult, and the PVA doesn't work well.
Just swish it on and go straight onto it.

IME, just the opposite, I've only done bare brick (super dry, super
suck) & 2 coat browning/multi, I always do 2 coats of pva and alow to
dry thoroughly. Works fine.

Browning/multi should be skimmed the same day and it doesn't need any pva.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
VisionSet

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Mark wrote:
I used two coats of diluted PVA before plastering.
(the first allowed to dry, the second immediately before
plastering).

FWIW letting PVA dry before plastering (or rendering, or
repairing concrete) isn't really a great idea, it can
make plastering difficult, and the PVA doesn't work well.
Just swish it on and go straight onto it.

IME, just the opposite, I've only done bare brick (super dry, super
suck) & 2 coat browning/multi, I always do 2 coats of pva and alow to
dry thoroughly. Works fine.

Browning/multi should be skimmed the same day and it doesn't need any pva.

It does in my house (super suck). Perhaps I should use the one for high suck
backgrounds? But brick isn't supposed to be that suckee.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

VisionSet wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Mark wrote:
I used two coats of diluted PVA before plastering.
(the first allowed to dry, the second immediately before
plastering).

FWIW letting PVA dry before plastering (or rendering, or
repairing concrete) isn't really a great idea, it can
make plastering difficult, and the PVA doesn't work well.
Just swish it on and go straight onto it.

IME, just the opposite, I've only done bare brick (super dry, super
suck) & 2 coat browning/multi, I always do 2 coats of pva and alow
to dry thoroughly. Works fine.

Browning/multi should be skimmed the same day and it doesn't need
any pva.

It does in my house (super suck). Perhaps I should use the one for
high suck backgrounds? But brick isn't supposed to be that suckee.

What i mean is that the browning should be applied (either with or without
PVA'ing the bricks) and then skimmed the same day, preferably within a few
hours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

VisionSet wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
Mark wrote:
I used two coats of diluted PVA before plastering.
(the first allowed to dry, the second immediately before plastering).

FWIW letting PVA dry before plastering (or rendering, or
repairing concrete) isn't really a great idea, it can
make plastering difficult, and the PVA doesn't work well.
Just swish it on and go straight onto it.

I always do 2 coats of pva and alow to dry
thoroughly. Works fine.

It doesn't work as intended (unless you simply want to reduce
suction, and aren't interested in any bond). You can also get
extreme problems trying to plaster onto an impermeable substance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Mark wrote:
I used two coats of diluted PVA before plastering.
(the first allowed to dry, the second immediately before plastering).

FWIW letting PVA dry before plastering (or rendering, or
repairing concrete) isn't really a great idea, it can
make plastering difficult, and the PVA doesn't work well.
Just swish it on and go straight onto it.

I see,so if you have a wall 10'x9' YOU can actually cover that wall before
all the PVA has dried out? bearing in mind PVA on a wall gets sucked in and
dry in seconds.

a) the PVA should be dilute, and doesn't actually dry hard
in that time;

b) You should only apply PVA if needed - it often isn't.

c) Your oppo. can help. I nearly said "it takes two to
t---o", but thought it might attract dribble.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

VisionSet wrote:
"Phil L" wrote...
VisionSet wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
FWIW letting PVA dry before plastering (or rendering, or
repairing concrete) isn't really a great idea, it can
make plastering difficult, and the PVA doesn't work well.
Just swish it on and go straight onto it.
IME, just the opposite, I've only done bare brick (super dry, super
suck) & 2 coat browning/multi, I always do 2 coats of pva and alow to
dry thoroughly. Works fine.

Browning/multi should be skimmed the same day and it doesn't need any pva.

It does in my house (super suck). Perhaps I should use the one for high suck
backgrounds? But brick isn't supposed to be that suckee.

Perhaps it's built of "selected regrades". These are super-absorbent
and need dunking even to lay 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
VisionSet

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
VisionSet wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Mark wrote:
[...]

Yes I agree, this is what I do.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
VisionSet

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message

I always do 2 coats of pva and alow to dry
thoroughly. Works fine.

It doesn't work as intended (unless you simply want to reduce
suction, and aren't interested in any bond). You can also get
extreme problems trying to plaster onto an impermeable substance.

I've had to hack it off, chasing etc. It is bonded good and proper!
I guess it isn't actually forming a plastic coat, rather it is sucked in far
enough to leave a degree of suction.

--
Mike W