Posted to uk.d-i-y
thankyousam

Default Running lighting cable over/through joists in loft.

The joists in my loft are less than 100mm in height, meaning that it is
impossible to drill a hole that is 50mm from both the top /and/ bottom
of the joist. I've found other posts that say to run the cable over
the top of the joist and have a baton either side and place steel
strips over the top, e.g.
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....6345a2c9687a7d

In parts the cable/joists will have boards over the top. Can the cable
be run without earthed trunking/conduit? and does this comply with the
building regs? I can't find anything which explicity covers this in
the On Site Guide or the BS7671 Blue Book.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lightman

Why not drill through the joists 50mm from the bottom and put 3mm steel
plates over the top to protect from screws.

I beleive this is allowed in the on site guide

Regards - Lightingman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
thankyousam

As a slight aside, given the height of the joists will I be able to run
the cables along the length/side of the joists, holding them in place
with cable clips?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John McLean

"thankyousam" wrote in message
oups.com...
As a slight aside, given the height of the joists will I be able to run
the cables along the length/side of the joists, holding them in place
with cable clips?

This is acceptable, and is the standard way of installing Twin & Earth, PVCI
cables running the length of the joists. If there is thermal insulation laid
"between the joists", the cable should be run preferably, at a height
corresponding to the upper surface of the insulation layer, to avoid
unnecessary cable derating; but in any case, at a height of at least 50mm to
the underside of the cable, measured from the bottom of the joist. (This is
to avoid possible nail damage from below the ceiling).