Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

Default OT Escape from Castle NTL

"Dave" wrote in message
There was a time I thought the NTL 3 in 1 idea a good one (TV, Phone and
internet). This was indeed a good deal and for a couple of years and it's
worked
pretty well. But things are changing.

First the hardware setup. We have an NTL cable from the road to a Set Top
box.
One line goes to the STB and another to the box that the 'phone plugs
into.

snip lots of moans ....

I had Nynex - became NTL analogue- digital set top box but changed to Sky
as my 'TV' source. It was a struggle to get NTL to accept that I no longer
wished to purchase a TV supply off them. However they are currently my ISP.
The wall mounted box installed yonks ago has two separate outputs; one went
to the 'TV' set top box; the other (previously unused) is the 'internet'
connection thingy. NTL supplied me with a 'free' cable-modem box. A pc is
connected via a ethernet or USB to the cable modem which is connected to the
previously unused port on the wall box.
[I later upgraded when rooms were being decorated away from proximity to the
wall box and currently have the cable-modem connected to a cable-router and
electrickmagically have wireless connection from whichever room my wife has
banished me to currently.]

Street-wall box-cable-modem-ethernet/USB-computer.
or
Street-wall box-cable-modem--cable-router-wireless(computers)

You don't need to have the TV service off NTL in order to have broadband
from them.

HTH

--

Brian