Senior Member

Question Any one got, installed or used a 'boiler buddy'?

As the title suggest. Boiler Buddy -

Any good?

Worth the investment?

Better than Maganaclean?

Or just a gimmick?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default Any one got, installed or used a 'boiler buddy'?

In article ,
Cordless Crazy wrote:
As the title suggest. Boiler Buddy -

Any good?

Worth the investment?

Better than Maganaclean?

Or just a gimmick?

Just the name tells me to stay well clear...

--
*OK, so what's the speed of dark? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Cordless Crazy" wrote in message

As the title suggest. Boiler Buddy -

Any good?

Worth the investment?

Better than Maganaclean?

The Magnaclean works and is very good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

"Cordless Crazy" wrote

As the title suggest. Boiler Buddy -

Any good?

Worth the investment?

Better than Maganaclean?

Or just a gimmick?

I fitted a MagnaClean at the weekend - 1970s system, full of crap and sludge
despite numerous flushes, rad removal etc.
The magnetite floating around in my system is definitely magnetic (tested on
a fridge magnet to be sure!?) so don't see why they shouldn't work.

In my case I intend to replace boiler/upgrade shortly, so am doing anything
possible to clear out crap.

Pros/Cons Boiler Buddy/MagnaClean

Comparing the 2..........

Similar price £70-75 + VAT
MagnaClean easier to service IMO (don't need to take device out of line,
just valve off and unscrew lid)
Boiler Buddy is transparent so you should be able to see the condition
without opening.
Boiler Buddy will fit in place of existing pump if you are going for boiler
upgrade with integral pump then this is probably good.
MagnaClean is bulkier as it stands away from the installed pipework rather
than in line.
If the MC is installed in an existing vertical line, it will be laid at an
angle which means even more room is needed alongside it to withdraw the
magnetic core.
BB has more internal "parts" to dismantle/clean.

Haven't opened the MC yet so can't comment on effectiveness.

HTH

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Haven't opened the MC yet so can't comment on effectiveness.

Do let us know, please!

MBQ

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScullster
"Cordless Crazy" wrote

[...]

Cheers Phil. Any idea where I can pick a Magnaclean or a Boiler Buddy up for under £85?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

"Cordless Crazy" wrote
Cheers Phil. Any idea where I can pick a Magnaclean or a Boiler Buddy
up for under £85?

Got my MC from Danbys, Plumbers Merchants in Hull - £71.99 + VAT
IIRC, PTS sell the Boiler Buddy for about £74 + VAT

The manufacturers Adey/Fernox will give distributor names

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
"Cordless Crazy" wrote
Cheers Phil. Any idea where I can pick a Magnaclean or a Boiler Buddy
up for under £85?

Got my MC from Danbys, Plumbers Merchants in Hull - £71.99 + VAT
IIRC, PTS sell the Boiler Buddy for about £74 + VAT

The manufacturers Adey/Fernox will give distributor names

Phil

Seems a silly price for something you could make for a tenner.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
TheScullster wrote:
"Cordless Crazy" wrote
Cheers Phil. Any idea where I can pick a Magnaclean or a Boiler Buddy
up for under £85?

Got my MC from Danbys, Plumbers Merchants in Hull - £71.99 + VAT
IIRC, PTS sell the Boiler Buddy for about £74 + VAT

The manufacturers Adey/Fernox will give distributor names

Phil

Seems a silly price for something you could make for a tenner.

Think the tenner wrapped round the pipe will work as well.

There's no substitute for starting with a clean system and using the
correct inhibitor.

--
*I get enough exercise just pushing my luck.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"TheScullster" wrote in message
news

"Cordless Crazy" wrote

[...]

You will see a build up within hours on installing the Magnaclean, well if
you have the heating on of course, which in this weather you may not.

Best you check now and each month until the water is clean, then once a year
at service time.

new boiler installed now header tank has hot water in !!!! dbroms UK diy 13 November 29th 05 09:35 PM
Combi boiler installed in cellar. No overflow attached as nowhere to go... [email protected] UK diy 5 November 22nd 05 05:54 PM
Selling house with self installed boiler Seri UK diy 32 April 19th 05 10:37 AM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Boiler pilot light went out David Hearn UK diy 6 October 26th 03 11:54 PM