Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

Default Oil pump pressure setting

drugs began to take hold. I remember Digsy
saying something like:

Burner and nozzle details follow:

BURNER:

MONOFLAME
MADE IN ITALY BY ECOFLAM
MINOR 1 BETA 1
240V 50HZ
COD 55.01.01/37
D.TERM MIN 20,00 MAX 29,60KW
MIN 1,70 MAX 2,50 KG/H
LIGHT OIL
MAX VISC @20'C 6MM2/S 1.50'E
VAC 240 50HZ
SERIAL NO 96000031027 12/96

NOZZLE:

KG/H = 1.50
80'EH
0.5
6ZZ

Google for dkbgps000a115.pdf

It's Danfoss doc which contains info on nozzle sizes and types, as well
as pumps and other stuff.
--

Dave
Junior Member

Ok, the scenario:

My central heating oil burner oil pump is leaking - not a huge amount, but it needs replacing. This I can do for a cool £40-ish, but the pump pressure needs to be set after it is installed.

The pump pressure depends on the oil burner nozzle size.

The nozzle size depends on how the burner was set up to heat my house.

Now, according to the bumf that came with the house when I bought it, there should be a sticker on the burner saying exactly what the nozzle size, pump pressure and air settings should be. Surprise, surprise - there isn't.

I have taken the nozzle out and checked what size it is - the information on it is repeated below, but I don't trurst it 100% because since my boiler was last serviced it has used an appreciably greater amount of fuel than usual over a ten month period.

My question is, therefore, how can I, from first principles, work out what the nozzle size and oil pressure should be for my burner, starting from nothing? I have asked a couple of burner spares dealers but their general approach is "Oooh, I couldn't possibly tell you without knowing how your system was set up".

I fail to believe that comissioning a central heating boiler is such rocket science that if the details aren't recoded on a special little sticker then its lost forever and too hard to re-calculate. Can anyone help?

Burner and nozzle details follow:

BURNER:

MONOFLAME
MADE IN ITALY BY ECOFLAM
MINOR 1 BETA 1
240V 50HZ
COD 55.01.01/37
D.TERM MIN 20,00 MAX 29,60KW
MIN 1,70 MAX 2,50 KG/H
LIGHT OIL
MAX VISC @20'C 6MM2/S 1.50'E
VAC 240 50HZ
SERIAL NO 96000031027 12/96

NOZZLE:

KG/H = 1.50
80'EH
0.5
6ZZ
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Digsy wrote:

Ok, the scenario:

My central heating oil burner oil pump is leaking - not a huge amount,
but it needs replacing. This I can do for a cool ?40-ish, but the pump
pressure needs to be set after it is installed.

The pump pressure depends on the oil burner nozzle size.

The nozzle size depends on how the burner was set up to heat my house.

I would simply plumb in a temporary pressure guage.
A T, connected up to a tyre pressure guage will work fine.

Alternatively, if you can observe the flame, and the boiler is not a
modulating sort, then simply taking a photo beforehand, and turning it
up till you get an identical picture is the same.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
lee

"Digsy" wrote in message
news

[...]

Please can you advise make and model of boiler. the data required is
usually found on the boiler data plate, not the burner, as the burner can be
used on several boilers.
If the pressure is not set correctly when recommissioning burner you can
cause a lot of problems with sooting of the boiler....not a nice job trying
to clean it!

Lee

Junior Member

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Okey dokey: UPDATE. After downloading chapter and verse on pumps and nozzles from Danfoss (I couldn't find te precise document mentioned above but I found some others) I becmae convinced that I wasn't going to be able to do anything myself as I kept coming back to needing to know the heat capability for my boiler in order to size the nozzle and pressure together. I also kept finding words to the effect of "your boiler will have this information written on it", so once again I set off in search of it.

Turns out that if I remove the control panel from the boiler and look at the back of its casing, there is a dogeared sticker with all the information on it. Talk about making it easy to find - NOT! :-)

Anyways, the nozzle size is correct and it looks like the oil pressure is 140psi, which is damn close to 10bar which I think is the factory setting for the BFP11R3 pump so hopefully no actual adjustment will be necessary.

Now I know the nozzle size and pressure I can find out what the oil flow and boiler power are.

Woo-hoo!