Posted to uk.d-i-y
emma

Default Timber or UPVC Double glazing?

We are having a large extension built which will entail replacing all
the windows and door on the back of the house and one or two elsewhere.
The existing windows are 11 year old timber double glazing - not the
best quality in all likelihood if the rest of the house spec is
anything to go by and one has already blown, so all will probably need
replacing in 5-10 years anyway. Our architect specified Timber windows
again, but the builder has suggested UPVC as the price difference once
they are fitted and painted is very little and he says UPVC are great
nowadays, low maintenance and more secure. Which is better - Timber or
UPVC? This is a modern house so either would fit in - any thoughts or
recommendations?

Thanks

Emma

Posted to uk.d-i-y

emma wrote:
We are having a large extension built which will entail replacing all
the windows and door on the back of the house and one or two elsewhere.
The existing windows are 11 year old timber double glazing - not the
best quality in all likelihood if the rest of the house spec is
anything to go by and one has already blown, so all will probably need
replacing in 5-10 years anyway. Our architect specified Timber windows
again, but the builder has suggested UPVC as the price difference once
they are fitted and painted is very little and he says UPVC are great
nowadays, low maintenance and more secure. Which is better - Timber or
UPVC? This is a modern house so either would fit in - any thoughts or
recommendations?

Thanks

Emma

I would say that good hardwood windows would be preferable to UPVC for
many reasons. Not so much with softwood, And hardwood is exspensive.
However, if house value is important, there seems to be the strange
situation that any house without UPVC needs "upgrading" according to
estate agent types.
So you can spend loads of cash on timber, only to find it reduces your
resale market.
However, if you are having an extension build and intend to stay a long
time, resale is not so much a criterion.
By the way, blown sealed units has little to do with the frames, unless
the frames are so poor that they move around and stress the sealed
units.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Our architect specified Timber windows again, but the builder has
suggested UPVC as the price difference once they are fitted and
painted is very little and he says UPVC are great nowadays, low
maintenance and more secure.

Depends on the style of the house. However, timber windows are generally
preferable. uPVC claim to be maintenance free, but they go manky and yellow
after 15 years. Timber need repainting every 5-7 years, but if maintained
will last over a hundred years and probably thousands for hardwood.

I would generally pay at least double, if not more to have timber in
preference to uPVC. The idea that uPVC would be chosen at the same price
befuddles me. We've just put in a couple of timber sash windows into our
loft conversion. That cost 2000 quid instead of the 600 for a couple of same
sized uPVC casements.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Part P

If you want to lower your house value both fiscally and aesthetically - put
upvc rubbish in.

Wood - if you look after it, lasts just as long as plastic, and looks nice
too!

"emma" wrote in message
ps.com...
We are having a large extension built which will entail replacing all
the windows and door on the back of the house and one or two elsewhere.
The existing windows are 11 year old timber double glazing - not the
best quality in all likelihood if the rest of the house spec is
anything to go by and one has already blown, so all will probably need
replacing in 5-10 years anyway. Our architect specified Timber windows
again, but the builder has suggested UPVC as the price difference once
they are fitted and painted is very little and he says UPVC are great
nowadays, low maintenance and more secure. Which is better - Timber or
UPVC? This is a modern house so either would fit in - any thoughts or
recommendations?

Thanks

Emma

Posted to uk.d-i-y
marvelous

On 8 May 2006 02:36:40 -0700, "emma" wrote:

We are having a large extension built which will entail replacing all
the windows and door on the back of the house and one or two elsewhere.
The existing windows are 11 year old timber double glazing - not the
best quality in all likelihood if the rest of the house spec is
anything to go by and one has already blown, so all will probably need
replacing in 5-10 years anyway. Our architect specified Timber windows
again, but the builder has suggested UPVC as the price difference once
they are fitted and painted is very little and he says UPVC are great
nowadays, low maintenance and more secure. Which is better - Timber or
UPVC? This is a modern house so either would fit in - any thoughts or
recommendations?

Thanks

Emma

Timber windows are always more expensive than PVC. Maybe your builder
is hoping to pocket the difference

Timber is nicer if you are going to live there, PVC is cheaper if you
plan to sell soon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

marvelous wrote:
[...]

Plastic at the back and wood at the front gives you the best of both
worlds. Nice view from the front and practical at the back.
No good pretending that wood lasts as long as plastic. It may do in
north/east aspects but, facing south or west, wood suffers badly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No good pretending that wood lasts as long as plastic. It may do in
north/east aspects but, facing south or west, wood suffers badly.

Would that be because of UV degradation of the wood finish?

There's many victorian buildings with original windows - so clearly
longevity of even softwood is possible, with the right finish and some
maintenance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

emma wrote:
We are having a large extension built which will entail replacing all
the windows and door on the back of the house and one or two elsewhere.
The existing windows are 11 year old timber double glazing - not the
best quality in all likelihood if the rest of the house spec is
anything to go by and one has already blown, so all will probably need
replacing in 5-10 years anyway. Our architect specified Timber windows
again, but the builder has suggested UPVC as the price difference once
they are fitted and painted is very little and he says UPVC are great
nowadays, low maintenance and more secure. Which is better - Timber or
UPVC? This is a modern house so either would fit in - any thoughts or
recommendations?

Thanks

Emma

As it's a modern house and hardly likely to reduce the value I'd go
with UPVC. You'll have far more maintenance with wood.
First set of UPVC windows I ever installed was in 1990. They have not
yellowed and look as good as new.

Double glazing - two misted windows Nozza UK diy 16 November 2nd 12 12:41 PM
DIY double glazing hardware Real Ale UK diy 4 December 1st 05 06:51 PM
double glazing new door mp UK diy 2 May 6th 05 11:20 PM
Double Glazing mj UK diy 6 September 2nd 04 01:48 PM
Double Glazing Units.... sealing of? mark b UK diy 2 August 11th 04 08:43 PM