Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

Default Rubbish Getting In To Emulsion Tubs

Opening a tub of emulsion today I was faced with the usual pieces of dried paint
around the rim of the tub and got to wondering if there is an easy way of
preventing this as what usually happens is that flakes drop in to the paint as
you take off the lid and even trying to remove the dried bits ends up with some
going in .....
Has anyone found a way of preventing this ..
Any ideas ?.

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Stuart" wrote in message
Opening a tub of emulsion today I was faced with the usual pieces of dried
paint
around the rim of the tub and got to wondering if there is an easy way of
preventing this as what usually happens is that flakes drop in to the
paint as
you take off the lid and even trying to remove the dried bits ends up with
some
going in .....
Has anyone found a way of preventing this ..
Any ideas ?.

When you have finished painting, wipe the rim of the tub (and wash lid
groove if necessary). Make sure the lid is put on TIGHT! Store the tub
upside down. This works on the modern plastic tubs but not always on the
'old' metal cans, due to the lid rims getting buckled whils removing them
with screwdrivers, knives, teeth, etc..

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil

Stuart wrote:
Opening a tub of emulsion today I was faced with the usual pieces of dried paint
around the rim of the tub and got to wondering if there is an easy way of
preventing this as what usually happens is that flakes drop in to the paint as
you take off the lid and even trying to remove the dried bits ends up with some
going in .....
Has anyone found a way of preventing this ..
Any ideas ?.

Stuart

Pour off what you need into a paint kettle through an old stocking....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article , Stuart
wrote:
Opening a tub of emulsion today I was faced with the usual pieces of dried
paint around the rim of the tub and got to wondering if there is an easy
way of preventing this as what usually happens is that flakes drop in to
the paint as you take off the lid and even trying to remove the dried bits
ends up with some going in ..... Has anyone found a way of preventing this
.. Any ideas ?.

Store it upside down?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

John wrote:
"Stuart" wrote in message
[...]

Its not a good idea to turn the tub emulsion upside down as the thin layer
of emulsion will break up when turned back up the normal way.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Stuart wrote:
Opening a tub of emulsion today I was faced with the usual pieces of dried paint
around the rim of the tub and got to wondering if there is an easy way of
preventing this as what usually happens is that flakes drop in to the paint as
you take off the lid and even trying to remove the dried bits ends up with some
going in .....
Has anyone found a way of preventing this ..

It's a pain, isn't it. If you slosh the paint around inside and
leave it for a day or two, it binds the flakes. Remove the lid
while the paint's not fully hardened, and peel off what you can.
Failing that, just tip the tub up to coat the inside and remove
the lid carefully.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick H

Stuart Wrote:
Opening a tub of emulsion today I was faced with the usual pieces of
dried paint
around the rim of the tub and got to wondering if there is an easy way
of
preventing this as what usually happens is that flakes drop in to the
paint as
you take off the lid and even trying to remove the dried bits ends up
with some
going in .....
Has anyone found a way of preventing this ..
Any ideas ?.
Stuart[/QUOTE

I presume your talking about a used tin. The secret is to wash/wipe any
paint
from around the rim before you put the lid back on to a new tin. If the
tin is already contaminated then you can pour the paint through a
kitchen seive, I use a large flour seive. A professional painter would
never use paint directly from the tin they always pour it into a paint
kettle first, that way you shouldn't get s**t all over the tin.

--
Nick H
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Tue, 2 May 2006 21:55:48 +0100, Nick H
wrote:

Stuart Wrote:
[...]

I was talking about a used tin Nick .If it had been a new tin or tub it would be
going straight back to where it was bought .
I'll try and remember that tip.

Stuart
ps.How come your reply gets shown as being quoted same as the previous message
you replied to .???

Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , Stuart
writes
On Tue, 2 May 2006 21:55:48 +0100, Nick H
wrote:
Stuart[/QUOTE

ps.How come your reply gets shown as being quoted same as the previous message
you replied to .???

maybe because nick is posting via some outfit called
homeimprovementbanter.com - another web gateway to uk.d-i-y.

I'd guess their posting engine is bit broken?
--
Chris French

Remove patches of emulsion paint from plaster where it is stuck hard n' fast! Cordless Crazy UK diy 8 February 13th 06 04:01 PM
Patchy emulsion.. ben UK diy 3 August 8th 05 11:33 AM
Emulsion paint over eggshell tezzie UK diy 0 April 19th 05 12:50 PM
Flaky emulsion layer on plaster [email protected] UK diy 7 January 25th 05 02:22 PM
Answer To Emulsion Paint Removal troubleinstore UK diy 4 July 22nd 04 05:17 PM