Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike the Unshavable

Default ?O/T House purchase - sellers leaving junk

My daughter is just about to complete on a house purchase and the sellers
do not look like they will be removing the remaining furniture (it's an
executor sale) and a quantity of what is best described as 'junk' - old
washing machine, TV, odds & ends in loft etc. None of which is of any use
to my daughter.
Her solicitor has been as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard -
so I'm turning to the gallery for advice - can she charge the seller for
removal, is she stuck with it? Advice please!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Mike the Unshavable" wrote in message
.. .
My daughter is just about to complete on a house purchase and the sellers
do not look like they will be removing the remaining furniture (it's an
executor sale) and a quantity of what is best described as 'junk' - old
washing machine, TV, odds & ends in loft etc. None of which is of any use
to my daughter.
Her solicitor has been as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard -
so I'm turning to the gallery for advice - can she charge the seller for
removal, is she stuck with it? Advice please!

A son had the same problem, he contacted the local charity furniture store
who were pleased to take it away. Try the Salvation Army if you don't know
of any other organisation.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

In article , Mike the
Unshavable writes
My daughter is just about to complete on a house purchase and the sellers
do not look like they will be removing the remaining furniture (it's an
executor sale) and a quantity of what is best described as 'junk' - old
washing machine, TV, odds & ends in loft etc. None of which is of any use
to my daughter.
Her solicitor has been as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard -
so I'm turning to the gallery for advice - can she charge the seller for
removal, is she stuck with it? Advice please!

Presumably you intended to post to uk.legal :-?

Unless your sol is completely useless your contract will be for vacant
possession and leaving a ton of junk is not that, so yes, you can have the
house cleared (and possibly cleaned) and charge the cost to the seller.
Warn them of this (in writing) before you exchange to avoid the suggestion
that the junk was left with your consent or that you are, in fact, benefiting
from their kind donation of furniture and such.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:44:10 -0000, Mike the Unshavable
wrote:

|My daughter is just about to complete on a house purchase and the sellers
|do not look like they will be removing the remaining furniture (it's an
|executor sale) and a quantity of what is best described as 'junk' - old
|washing machine, TV, odds & ends in loft etc. None of which is of any use
|to my daughter.
|Her solicitor has been as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard -
|so I'm turning to the gallery for advice - can she charge the seller for
|removal, is she stuck with it? Advice please!

There are shops who will clear houses, and sell the junk for what they can
get. Knives forks and spoons will make a quid or two as half dozens. Check
it first to see if there are any antiques or collectables.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul

"Mike the Unshavable" wrote in message
.. .
My daughter is just about to complete on a house purchase and the sellers
do not look like they will be removing the remaining furniture (it's an
executor sale) and a quantity of what is best described as 'junk' - old
washing machine, TV, odds & ends in loft etc. None of which is of any use
to my daughter.
Her solicitor has been as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard -
so I'm turning to the gallery for advice - can she charge the seller for
removal, is she stuck with it? Advice please!

if most of it is usable see if there is a freecycle group for the area and
get rid that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill

In message , Mike the
Unshavable writes
My daughter is just about to complete on a house purchase and the sellers
do not look like they will be removing the remaining furniture (it's an
executor sale) and a quantity of what is best described as 'junk' - old
washing machine, TV, odds & ends in loft etc. None of which is of any use
to my daughter.
Her solicitor has been as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard -
so I'm turning to the gallery for advice - can she charge the seller for
removal, is she stuck with it? Advice please!

I had the same problem with an executor sale 20 years ago. I was
told by the seller to basically take it or leave it but they weren't
going to remove any more than they had done. It wasn't worth the hassle
of chasing them so I disposed of most of it on the bonfire. Apart from
200 rounds of .22LR and £300:00 I found under a wardrobe. So make sure
to check everything before you chuck it out! You could end up in profit.

Even fairly decent furniture doesn't make a lot in my area but it might
be worth her calling a house clearance company for a quote to get their
views.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Mike the Unshavable contains these words:

Advice please!

Take it down the dump.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

wrote:

|My daughter is just about to complete on a house purchase and the sellers
|do not look like they will be removing the remaining furniture (it's an
|executor sale) and a quantity of what is best described as 'junk' - old
|washing machine, TV, odds & ends in loft etc. None of which is of any use
|to my daughter.
|Her solicitor has been as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard
|- so I'm turning to the gallery for advice - can she charge the seller
|for removal, is she stuck with it? Advice please!

There are shops who will clear houses, and sell the junk for what they can
get. Knives forks and spoons will make a quid or two as half dozens.
Check it first to see if there are any antiques or collectables.

Yep. The removals bloke who did my last move (and my parents before) I knew
quite well. He also did house clearances. He also knew what would be worth
salvaging and selling on, especially some old bit of furniture which,
actually had significant value as an antique.

Do you have any friends who can spot items of value (which may not be
obvious).

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan Pearson

Mike the Unshavable wrote:
My daughter is just about to complete on a house purchase and the
sellers do not look like they will be removing the remaining
furniture (it's an executor sale) and a quantity of what is best
described as 'junk' - old washing machine, TV, odds & ends in loft
etc. None of which is of any use to my daughter.
Her solicitor has been as much use as the proverbial chocolate
fireguard - so I'm turning to the gallery for advice - can she charge
the seller for removal, is she stuck with it? Advice please!

Despite what may appear otherwise, buying a house is like buying a car from
a private seller in the autotrader, as you have very little come back once
its sold to you - so essentially a house is 'sold as seen' - so treat it as
the case - hence assume that the rubbish will be there once she moves in,
the goodnews however is that your local council will normally collect these
sort of items free of charge - ours is called a 'bulky rubbish collection' -
give em a ring!

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

Mike the Unshavable wrote:

My daughter is just about to complete on a house purchase and the
sellers do not look like they will be removing the remaining
furniture (it's an executor sale) and a quantity of what is best
described as 'junk' - old washing machine, TV, odds & ends in loft
etc. None of which is of any use to my daughter.
Her solicitor has been as much use as the proverbial chocolate
fireguard - so I'm turning to the gallery for advice - can she charge
the seller for removal, is she stuck with it? Advice please!

The sellers should have completed a Fixtures & Fittings form to say what
contents are included in the sale. If they've included all the 'junk', and
if your daughter (or her solicitor) hasn't queried it, your daughter will be
buying it - and will have to dispose of it if she doesn't want it.

When we sold my father's house after he died a few years ago, we included a
shed full of coal - which would have been a right pain to dispose of - in
the sale even though no-one had used a coal fire for years!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Roger Mills wrote:

Mike the Unshavable wrote:

[...]

I can envisage the buyer's housewarming BBQ now: "Hey, this burger tastes
funny... ...and where did you get such shiny charcoal?"

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:03:06 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

The sellers should have completed a Fixtures & Fittings form to say
what contents are included in the sale. If they've included all the
'junk', and if your daughter (or her solicitor) hasn't queried it, your
daughter will be buying it - and will have to dispose of it if she
doesn't want it.

Conversely and importantly if the "junk" isn't listed the daughter isn't
buying it. I'm not sure what the situation is once completion has taken
place. I think she can dispose of anything left behind she doesn't want
and any costs in that disposal can be claimed from the sellers. How
succesful that would be is another matter...

Get legal advice, the daughters solictor should know this beat them over
the head to DO THEIR FING JOB! She'll be paying them enough.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete

The council charged me £80 to empty my fathers house 5 years ago. The 'house
clearers' only wanted readily sellable stuff. I'd get a quote and try to
have it in the house contract otherwise just take it on the chin.

"Mike the Unshavable" wrote in message
.. .
My daughter is just about to complete on a house purchase and the sellers
do not look like they will be removing the remaining furniture (it's an
executor sale) and a quantity of what is best described as 'junk' - old
washing machine, TV, odds & ends in loft etc. None of which is of any use
to my daughter.
Her solicitor has been as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard -
so I'm turning to the gallery for advice - can she charge the seller for
removal, is she stuck with it? Advice please!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Derek ^" wrote in message

Then rent a skip and chuck it in.

Here in Leeds there are charities which will collect everything for use.

Mary

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Conversely and importantly if the "junk" isn't listed the daughter isn't
buying it. I'm not sure what the situation is once completion has taken
place. I think she can dispose of anything left behind she doesn't want
and any costs in that disposal can be claimed from the sellers. How
succesful that would be is another matter...

When I bought this house long time ago, the widow who owned it wanted to
take the TV aerial (she was moving from London to Hastings ;-)) and a few
favourite roses from the garden. She asked me if I'd like to buy some
furniture which I declined. The contract had the normal stipulation of the
house being cleared.

On completion, I discovered she'd taken the aerial, but not the roses. The
furniture she didn't want was left behind. All the light bulbs had gone as
had many light fittings - so no lights in those rooms at all. All the lino
had gone leaving bare floorboards throughout. And the cellar was stuffed
full of mainly junk. But in among the junk was all her husbands tools.
Some of which I'm still using today.

She also left a cat...

--
*A person who smiles in the face of adversity probably has a scapegoat *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Mike the Unshavable wrote:
My daughter is just about to complete on a house purchase and the sellers
do not look like they will be removing the remaining furniture (it's an
executor sale) and a quantity of what is best described as 'junk' - old
washing machine, TV, odds & ends in loft etc. None of which is of any use
to my daughter.
Her solicitor has been as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard -
so I'm turning to the gallery for advice - can she charge the seller for
removal, is she stuck with it? Advice please!

I was once faced with the same issue, and asked me solicitor to ensure
that the property had been emptied before completion of the contract (in
this case it was a garden full of junk), ie, it was a condition of the
sale. The seller wasn't about to lose the sale at the eleventh hour,
and didn't argue.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
And the cellar was stuffed full of mainly junk.
But in among the junk was all her husbands tools.
Some of which I'm still using today.

If you dig a bit deeper, you might find the husband too...

She also left a cat...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

What did you do with the 200 rounds? Good thing you noticed them before
throwing them on the fire (having said that they would have been heavy
enough for you to notice!!!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim \(back at home\)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

are you sure that it didn't come back by itself?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
tim \(back at home\) wrote:
She also left a cat...

are you sure that it didn't come back by itself?

From Hastings? Must have used her broomstick. It was there the day after
she left when I took possession. Luckily, next door took it on - I
already had a cat. And despite only moving a few hundred yards as the
crow files my cat stayed put in the new place despite doors being open
all the time while renovations were carried out.

--
*A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

She also left a cat...

So not all bad then.

The one I really detest, even more than light bulbs and even light
fittings is the bog roll. That's just cruel.

Last place we left we left a tray with an old electric kettle, some tea
bags, half a jar of coffee a square cow and sugar and a teaspoon. And a
full bog roll.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
legin

Had a similar experience a few years ago. The sellers family were
surposed to clear the house as it was sold with vacant possession. They
took what they wanted and left the crap behind. My solicitor negotiated
a £500 reduction on the agreed price to clear the junk as they had
already exchanged with vacant possesssion agreed. Probably cost me
about that with time and skips. I thought one skip would have been
enough but its surprising how much junk is in a three bed semi!
regards
legin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 13:38:34 UTC, Guy King
wrote:

Last place we left we left a tray with an old electric kettle, some tea
bags, half a jar of coffee a square cow and sugar and a teaspoon. And a
full bog roll.

No-one was moving into ours as we hadn't sold it at that point. But I
did leave a ring binder with plastic sleeves containing instructions for
everything, a diagram on how to find the water stop tap, where to find
some obscure phone sockets, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Guy King wrote:

Last place we left we left a tray with an old electric kettle, some tea
bags, half a jar of coffee a square cow and sugar and a teaspoon. And a
full bog roll.

A square cow??!!?

Actually, we make a point of leaving a tactical bottle of plonk on the
mantlepiece along with a sacharine-sweet note. If it engenders even a
slightly warm fuzzy feeling in the recipients, then job done - if there
turns out to be some issue or other after moving-in day, I reckon the
buyer is more likely to try and put the boot in to those tight-fisted,
mean-spirited *******s who took all the lightbulbs and bog roll, rather
than that charming couple who left us the wine...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

No-one was moving into ours as we hadn't sold it at that point. But I
did leave a ring binder with plastic sleeves containing instructions for
everything, a diagram on how to find the water stop tap, where to find
some obscure phone sockets, etc.

We keep such records too, for whoever follows us.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Mike the Unshavable wrote:
My daughter is just about to complete on a house purchase and the
sellers do not look like they will be removing the remaining
furniture (it's an executor sale) and a quantity of what is best
described as 'junk' - old washing machine, TV, odds & ends in loft
etc. None of which is of any use to my daughter.
Her solicitor has been as much use as the proverbial chocolate
fireguard - so I'm turning to the gallery for advice - can she charge
the seller for removal, is she stuck with it? Advice please!

So why didn't your daughter ask the solicitor to contact the sellers and
ask them whether the sale was with or without the furniture contents?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike the Unshavable

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" writed in news:R245g.61902$wl.13256
@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

So why didn't your daughter ask the solicitor to contact the sellers and
ask them whether the sale was with or without the furniture contents?

Thanks for all the words of wisdom - we'll see how things progress next
Friday .

My words of advice for the assembled multitude is - avoid the on-line
conveyancing fixed quote crowd as they only seem interested in the
basic job of shuffling paper and don't seem to want to know when
'interesting questions' get asked!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

Lobster typed

Guy King wrote:

Last place we left we left a tray with an old electric kettle, some tea
bags, half a jar of coffee a square cow and sugar and a teaspoon. And a
full bog roll.

A square cow??!!?

Cuboidal carton of UHT milk, m'lud.

Actually, we make a point of leaving a tactical bottle of plonk on the
mantlepiece along with a sacharine-sweet note. If it engenders even a
slightly warm fuzzy feeling in the recipients, then job done - if there
turns out to be some issue or other after moving-in day, I reckon the
buyer is more likely to try and put the boot in to those tight-fisted,
mean-spirited *******s who took all the lightbulbs and bog roll, rather
than that charming couple who left us the wine...

David

Previous occupants here left all the lightbulbs plus a few spares, new
loo rolls by both toilets and a bottle of wine.

Guy helped me move...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

Last place we left we left a tray with an old electric kettle, some tea
bags, half a jar of coffee a square cow and sugar and a teaspoon. And a
full bog roll.

No-one was moving into ours as we hadn't sold it at that point.

Still worth leaving a few neccessities.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Lobster contains these words:

Last place we left we left a tray with an old electric kettle, some tea
bags, half a jar of coffee a square cow and sugar and a teaspoon. And a
full bog roll.

A square cow??!!?

Brick of UHT milk. It's what they're called in our house.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 18:06:17 UTC, Guy King
wrote:

The message
from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

Last place we left we left a tray with an old electric kettle, some tea
bags, half a jar of coffee a square cow and sugar and a teaspoon. And a
full bog roll.

No-one was moving into ours as we hadn't sold it at that point.

Still worth leaving a few neccessities.

The milk would have gone off after 10 months. We left lightbulbs and loo
rolls anyway, since we popped back occasionally to check. When we
eventually sold, we did leave wine and 'plastic glasses'. We're still on
good terms with the buyers; they live just round the corner in their
'next' house!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Mike the Unshavable writes:

My words of advice for the assembled multitude is - avoid the on-line
conveyancing fixed quote crowd as they only seem interested in the
basic job of shuffling paper and don't seem to want to know when
'interesting questions' get asked!

I took the advice of a colleague at work, and used a solicitor
just around the corner from the office. It was very handy to be
able to pop in as and when needed.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Schrodinger's cat

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
[...]

Yes - take the disposal costs out of Perry Mason's fee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

The milk would have gone off after 10 months.

Square cows have a shelf life about 6 months according to the date
codes, but in practice it's many times that.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:01:34 +0100, Guy King wrote:

The message
from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

The milk would have gone off after 10 months.

Square cows have a shelf life about 6 months according to the date
codes, but in practice it's many times that.

UHT lasts forever because nobody will drink it.

"Now Father McGuire you'll have to deliver the milk quick because it goes
off, except UHT of course, but nobody drinks that because it's ****e."
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Mon, 1 May 2006 00:07:50 UTC, Steve Firth
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:01:34 +0100, Guy King wrote:

The message
from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

The milk would have gone off after 10 months.

Square cows have a shelf life about 6 months according to the date
codes, but in practice it's many times that.

UHT lasts forever because nobody will drink it.

"Now Father McGuire you'll have to deliver the milk quick because it goes
off, except UHT of course, but nobody drinks that because it's ****e."

My assumption was that one would know when the new owners were arriving
(usually later the same day) and would leave a FRESH square cow. Yes,
UHT is ****e.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Steve Firth contains these words:

UHT lasts forever because nobody will drink it.

I rarely use milk for anything, so it doesn't bother me.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew May

Mike the Unshavable wrote:
My daughter is just about to complete on a house purchase and the sellers
do not look like they will be removing the remaining furniture (it's an
executor sale) and a quantity of what is best described as 'junk' - old
washing machine, TV, odds & ends in loft etc. None of which is of any use
to my daughter.
Her solicitor has been as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard -
so I'm turning to the gallery for advice - can she charge the seller for
removal, is she stuck with it? Advice please!

If they are determined to leave it get it all listed as fixtures and
fitting at an appropriate price, purchased separately. There will then
be no stamp duty payable on that portion. Of course, the saving probably
won't be enough to cover the removal costs.

Andrew

Pardon Lottery jim rozen Metalworking 37 April 12th 06 05:34 AM
House purchase - Building Regulations drona UK diy 15 July 14th 04 07:06 PM
bath along or across joists? (further stories from the house fromhell) Seri UK diy 7 March 12th 04 03:56 PM
House purchase & existing damp proof course Tony UK diy 11 November 23rd 03 04:29 PM
Crawlspace moisture, odors in house, urgent help needed before closing on home purchase Mail Ias Home Repair 4 October 27th 03 02:58 PM