Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Default Fixing bamboo flooring to a chipboard floating floor?

We are planning to lay a new floor consisting of 15mm bamboo t&g planks
nailed or glued to flooring grade water resistant chipboard floating with a
DPM over 50mm celotex insulation sheet. The concrete slab is now very dry.

We are rather concerned though that many of the flooring suppliers say that
particle board is not a suitable subfloor for attaching a hardwood floor to.

http://www.englishtimbers.co.uk/tech...ines.html#fit2 say

"Under normal circumstances, our hardwood floors should not be fixed to a
floating chipboard floor because it is not sufficiently rigid. Any excessive
seasonal movement may cause the floor to expand and perhaps lift the floor.
Contraction is not a problem with a floating floor."

But then go on to say

"In thoroughly dry, modern buildings with a high level of insulation, the
seasonal variations in floor moisture content are small. A solid floor could
be fixed to a floating floor in these conditions provided that the chipboard
or ply is sufficiently thick, very dry and adequately bonded together."

So does anyone have experience of laying hardwood flooring onto a floating
chipboard subfloor? Should we scrap the plan to use chipboard and use OSB or
Ply? And if we did how would we joint the sheets to form a solid single
floating subfloor?

TIA

Dave