Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Hibbert

Default Totally OT, but you guys know everything!!

Hello All,

We have just created a Board Game Fansite, and are wondering about a
potential legal issue.

The site is called www.thexxxxx.co.uk (where xxxxxx is our name).

There are a couple of other sites around.....

www.xxxxxx.com which is a Voice over IP reseller site
www.xxxxxxs.org which is a games seller in the US
www.thexxxxxx.com which is a non engligh language Flash site

So, are we breaking any Copyright/trademark/intellectual property
rights? We are not doing this commercially, but simply a Fan site vith
views and reviews - much like a blog.

Thanks in advance, any help will be much appreciated!

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Mike Hibbert wrote:

We have just created a Board Game Fansite, and are wondering about a
potential legal issue.

The site is called www.thexxxxx.co.uk (where xxxxxx is our name).

There are a couple of other sites around.....

www.xxxxxx.com which is a Voice over IP reseller site
www.xxxxxxs.org which is a games seller in the US
www.thexxxxxx.com which is a non engligh language Flash site

So, are we breaking any Copyright/trademark/intellectual property
rights? We are not doing this commercially, but simply a Fan site vith
views and reviews - much like a blog.

Maybe I'm being thick but I'm confused: are you saying that "xxxxx" =
"hibbert" in all of the above URLs? Or the name of a trademarked game?
or what?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Hibbert wrote:
Hello All,

We have just created a Board Game Fansite, and are wondering about a
potential legal issue.

The site is called www.thexxxxx.co.uk (where xxxxxx is our name).

There are a couple of other sites around.....

www.xxxxxx.com which is a Voice over IP reseller site
www.xxxxxxs.org which is a games seller in the US
www.thexxxxxx.com which is a non engligh language Flash site

So, are we breaking any Copyright/trademark/intellectual property
rights? We are not doing this commercially, but simply a Fan site vith
views and reviews - much like a blog.

Thanks in advance, any help will be much appreciated!

Mike

As the name is amongst so many companies, having the domain name itself
won't be a problem. It's really down to content after that and only the
games reseller is likely to have an issue if they have that name
trademarked in the games field.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Hibbert

Lobster wrote:
Mike Hibbert wrote:

We have just created a Board Game Fansite, and are wondering about a
potential legal issue.

The site is called www.thexxxxx.co.uk (where xxxxxx is our name).

There are a couple of other sites around.....

www.xxxxxx.com which is a Voice over IP reseller site
www.xxxxxxs.org which is a games seller in the US
www.thexxxxxx.com which is a non engligh language Flash site

So, are we breaking any Copyright/trademark/intellectual property
rights? We are not doing this commercially, but simply a Fan site vith
views and reviews - much like a blog.

Maybe I'm being thick but I'm confused: are you saying that "xxxxx" =
"hibbert" in all of the above URLs? Or the name of a trademarked game?
or what?

David

No sorry it was me trying not to be seen as spamming by putting the real
URL in.

xxxxxxxis just a work wer came up with, bunged a "the" on the front and
used it as a webname, there is not actually a TM'd game just a few other
websites with similar sounding names.

I guess the crux is how close is close?

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:05:45 GMT, Mike Hibbert
wrote:

Hello All,

We have just created a Board Game Fansite, and are wondering about a
potential legal issue.

The site is called www.thexxxxx.co.uk (where xxxxxx is our name).

There are a couple of other sites around.....

www.xxxxxx.com which is a Voice over IP reseller site
www.xxxxxxs.org which is a games seller in the US
www.thexxxxxx.com which is a non engligh language Flash site

So, are we breaking any Copyright/trademark/intellectual property
rights? We are not doing this commercially, but simply a Fan site vith
views and reviews - much like a blog.

Thanks in advance, any help will be much appreciated!

Mike

No real comment can be made on copyright in a specific sense since it
differs from country to country. Basically the owner of the name has
full rights to exploit it and no one else, without their consent. You
are using the name of a game which is a product and may or may not be
a trade mark. Most makers are pleased to allow fans to use game names
in sites like yours, since it drums up business.

As an example. MS are rabid about their name being used, yet Age of
Empires III has many sites, with some of them actively working on game
mods that alter the game at code level. Visiting the developers site
yesterday, I saw that they are aware of this and upset because some of
the mods allow cheating in clan matches. They weren't upset by the
mods, just what they could be used for. An update was issued that does
a CRC check on all players before a match starts. )

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

You'll be taken for everything you've got.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Chris Bacon wrote:
You'll be taken for everything you've got.

Who will?

Every what?

;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Hibbert

Chris Bacon wrote:
You'll be taken for everything you've got.

Which isn't that much.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Lobster wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
You'll be taken for everything you've got.

Who will?

Every what?

;-)

I was just joining the pack for a few minutes. Another
answer with no context was "No." - or was it "Yes."?

Totally OT TV connections John UK diy 24 October 16th 07 07:35 PM
Radiator not getting totally hot gna03633 UK diy 20 August 3rd 04 09:57 AM
HP D5258a monitor is totally dead Michael Electronics Repair 4 August 6th 03 11:00 AM