Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

Default Extractor Fan Duct _ Where to Buy?

Hi all

Have installed Xpelair fan in downstairs toilet, but need to duct the outlet
through a kitchen loft.

Where can I get 100mm duct and elbows and compatible external wall grill.
I am not a lover of internet shopping so would prefer a local distributor.
Intend to use plastic rather than galvanised.

Prefer supplier in East Yorkshire.

Sheds all seem to stock spiral wound flexi stuff or rectangular.
As I need to route across 4m with 2 or 3 bends, intend to use circular
smooth bore for performance.

Any ideas appreciated

Phil

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScullster
Hi all

Have installed Xpelair fan in downstairs toilet, but need to duct the outlet
through a kitchen loft.

Where can I get 100mm duct and elbows and compatible external wall grill.
I am not a lover of internet shopping so would prefer a local distributor.
Intend to use plastic rather than galvanised.

Prefer supplier in East Yorkshire.

Sheds all seem to stock spiral wound flexi stuff or rectangular.
As I need to route across 4m with 2 or 3 bends, intend to use circular
smooth bore for performance.

Any ideas appreciated

Phil
Your best bet is Screwfix online. Easy and convenient. Convert the 100mm to a flat duct. Makes it easier to run and terminate.

http://tinyurl.com/ouhhq
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:24:13 +0100, "TheScullster" wrote:

Hi all

Have installed Xpelair fan in downstairs toilet, but need to duct the outlet
through a kitchen loft.

Where can I get 100mm duct and elbows and compatible external wall grill.
I am not a lover of internet shopping so would prefer a local distributor.
Intend to use plastic rather than galvanised.

Prefer supplier in East Yorkshire.

Sheds all seem to stock spiral wound flexi stuff or rectangular.
As I need to route across 4m with 2 or 3 bends, intend to use circular
smooth bore for performance.

Any ideas appreciated

Phil

Have a look at http://www.cclveloduct.com/Default.aspx?Page=Home

I haven't checked out their prices yet, but I believe that they are a lot cheaper than everybody
else for ducting.

Rick... (The other Rick)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Fixit

wrote:

Hi all

Have installed Xpelair fan in downstairs toilet, but need to duct the
outlet
through a kitchen loft.

Where can I get 100mm duct and elbows and compatible external wall grill.
I am not a lover of internet shopping so would prefer a local distributor.
Intend to use plastic rather than galvanised.

Prefer supplier in East Yorkshire.

Sheds all seem to stock spiral wound flexi stuff or rectangular.
As I need to route across 4m with 2 or 3 bends, intend to use circular
smooth bore for performance.

Any ideas appreciated

Phil

if its just for smells just vent into the loft
adding great lengths of ducting will reduce the air flow rate my extract fan
reduces by 50% over a two metre run check the instructions with yours

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

"Mr Fixit" wrote

if its just for smells just vent into the loft

this can't comply with building regs, surely?

adding great lengths of ducting will reduce the air flow rate my extract
fan reduces by 50% over a two metre run check the instructions with yours

the fan is sized to cope with ducting, but I intended to fit smooth bore
duct to reduce the pressure losses.
If the concertina style hose is used, then, yes, the losses are horrendous.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Fixit

"TheScullster" wrote in message

"Mr Fixit" wrote

if its just for smells just vent into the loft

this can't comply with building regs, surely?

if you don't tell them I wont either, my toilet is vented straight into my
single story extension loft and no one batted an eyelid on the final
inspection (possible they never noticed)

adding great lengths of ducting will reduce the air flow rate my extract
fan reduces by 50% over a two metre run check the instructions with yours

the fan is sized to cope with ducting, but I intended to fit smooth bore
duct to reduce the pressure losses.
If the concertina style hose is used, then, yes, the losses are
horrendous.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo

Mr Fixit wrote:
"TheScullster" wrote in message

"Mr Fixit" wrote

if its just for smells just vent into the loft

this can't comply with building regs, surely?

if you don't tell them I wont either, my toilet is vented straight into my
single story extension loft and no one batted an eyelid on the final
inspection (possible they never noticed)

So what kind of filter do you employ to let the "smells" through but
keep the
hot moisture-laden air out?

Just venting into the loft sounds as sensible as sweeping dust under a
carpet - out
of sight, out of mind.

For my limited DIY experience I'd plump for venting outside and not
some
half-baked-but-easy bodge. I'd also go for the previously-suggested BES
website and buy a "damper" as well to stop backdraughts.

Mungo

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

TheScullster wrote:
Have installed Xpelair fan in downstairs toilet, but need to duct the outlet
through a kitchen loft.

Where can I get 100mm duct and elbows and compatible external wall grill.
I am not a lover of internet shopping so would prefer a local distributor.
Intend to use plastic rather than galvanised.

Use Osma Soil push fit, available from any BM.