Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hybrid lighting

Hello,

Has anyone heard of hybrid lighting.

Its a method(I think developed in Japan) where a big silver satellite
dish is place onto a roof then opric fibres tranmit the sun light and
transport it to room below. I understand that this reduces lighting
power consumption in large sky-scrapers.

I'm interested to use this in my house to bring sunlight into the east
facing rooms. I don't have the space to install a sunpipe but maybe
optic-fibres will do.

I'm interested to know if anyone has experience of this technology.

Many Thanks
Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

Has anyone heard of hybrid lighting.

Its a method(I think developed in Japan) where a big silver satellite
dish is place onto a roof then opric fibres tranmit the sun light and
transport it to room below. I understand that this reduces lighting
power consumption in large sky-scrapers.

I'm interested to use this in my house to bring sunlight into the east
facing rooms. I don't have the space to install a sunpipe but maybe
optic-fibres will do.

I'm interested to know if anyone has experience of this technology.

Many Thanks
Neil

Try:

http://www.lightpipe.org.uk/index2.htm

http://www.solalighting.com/

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

John
"John" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

Has anyone heard of hybrid lighting.

Its a method(I think developed in Japan) where a big silver satellite
dish is place onto a roof then opric fibres tranmit the sun light and
transport it to room below. I understand that this reduces lighting
power consumption in large sky-scrapers.

I'm interested to use this in my house to bring sunlight into the east
facing rooms. I don't have the space to install a sunpipe but maybe
optic-fibres will do.

I'm interested to know if anyone has experience of this technology.

Many Thanks
Neil

Try:

http://www.lightpipe.org.uk/index2.htm

http://www.solalighting.com/

John

Sorry - I realise that you have dismissed this arrangement.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hello,

Has anyone heard of hybrid lighting.

Its a method(I think developed in Japan) where a big silver satellite
dish is place onto a roof then opric fibres tranmit the sun light and
transport it to room below. I understand that this reduces lighting
power consumption in large sky-scrapers.

I'm interested to use this in my house to bring sunlight into the east
facing rooms. I don't have the space to install a sunpipe but maybe
optic-fibres will do.

I'm interested to know if anyone has experience of this technology.

Many Thanks
Neil

Theres also a much simpler cheaper technology that does something
similar.
http://www.builditsolar.com/Experime...fPart1/S88.htm

Because the incoming reflected skylight goes up to the ceiling, this
roughly method doubles the light level in a room.

If you want you can then add some tronics to a fl light to modulate it
so it maintains the chosen light level as daylight dims, thus saving
energy. You might find other ways that can save more energy than that.
In a skyscraper the total lighting load is pretty large, so it becomes
well worthwhile.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article .com

Hello,

Has anyone heard of hybrid lighting.

Its a method(I think developed in Japan) where a big silver satellite
dish is place onto a roof then opric fibres tranmit the sun light and
transport it to room below. I understand that this reduces lighting
power consumption in large sky-scrapers.

I'm interested to use this in my house to bring sunlight into the east
facing rooms. I don't have the space to install a sunpipe but maybe
optic-fibres will do.

I'm interested to know if anyone has experience of this technology.

Many Thanks
Neil

Theres also a much simpler cheaper technology that does something
similar.
http://www.builditsolar.com/Experime...fPart1/S88.htm

But it looks really stupid and only works on South facing windows.

There's another way: using 'light-pipes' aka 'sun-pipes'. These are a
large-ish diameter 'flexible' pipe with a highly reflective (mirrored)
interior. The pipe protrudes through the roof - capped with a transparent
dome- and light bounces from side to side and eventually downwards to spill
out, and illuminate rooms, corridors etc. etc.
I've seen some light pipes with an integral electric light fitted so one
gets illumination after sundown. Also, some systems are fitted with a
fresnel lens at the top of the pipe to bend the sun's rays down into the
pipe. AIUI, the system was developed in Australia - [could just be the first
place I heard of them]- and curiously they seemed to work (best) on the
North facing roof sides

--

Brian

Electrical question: a gfci AND a lighting circuit Home Repair 4 December 9th 05 08:17 PM
Lighting recommendation Bodgit UK diy 5 November 17th 05 08:52 PM
garden lighting - what happened in the end! [email protected] UK diy 6 June 13th 05 01:19 AM
Help Needed, Interior Lighting Albert Home Repair 17 September 29th 04 06:16 PM
dimmer switches for multiple lighting zones Seamus Mc Loughlin UK diy 0 February 4th 04 05:42 PM