Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fitz

Default hiring a stone crusher (or how to reuse old concrete)

Hello all,

Glad to say the garden has benefited from a nice long easter weekend.

I've got a big pile of old concrete I've taken up from a knackered path
that was cracking and ugly. I'm wondering whether I can save the money
I might pay for a) a skip and b) 'crusher run'/bulk bag of hardcore for
the planned patio by crushing all the left over concrete.

I've tried a couple of google searches for stone crushing and only got
hits for large scale quarry plant manufacturers. Searches for 'Making
hardcore' had predictable and unhelpful (in this context) results.

I've found one passing reference on this group in an old message
suggesting that stone crushing is not a DIY task. Short of starting my
own chain gang and smashing the lot with a trusty old sledgehammer I'm
a bit stuck.

Any thoughts? I thought some kind of mini-roller based mangle type
thingy on a trailer would be easy to hire for a day but certainly
Jewsons have nothing of the sort. Maybe the potential for catastrophic
'ooo my gloves are caught' type injuries is too high for insurance to
bear... or maybe I'm the only person who wants to do this.

--
Steve F

Painting concrete crawlspace floor without etching first? Harry Muscle Home Repair 17 March 20th 06 02:52 PM
re paving - real stone or concrete imitation...? james UK diy 9 April 1st 04 09:57 PM
down the garden path part 2: paving - real stone or concrete imitation...? james UK diy 0 March 28th 04 03:20 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
re-use old concrete as an aggregate ? PoP UK diy 5 September 2nd 03 12:06 PM