Posted to uk.d-i-y
That Bloke

Default Electric Shower Switch

A friend has asked me to remove the ceiling pull cord switch for her
electric shower in the bathroom and replace it with a normal 34 amp switch
outside the bathroom.

One site is right outside the bathroom door . The other would be in a
bedroom cupboard next to the bathroom. The cupboard switch would be harder
to get at.

Are there any regs about the placement of the switch apart for not in the
bathroom. We do not have part P in Scotland. So thats not a problem.

Eddie

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 01:04:01 +0100, "That Bloke" wrote:

We do not have part P in Scotland. So thats not a problem.

Eddie

Do we not .I wasn't aware of that .??

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

That Bloke wrote:

A friend has asked me to remove the ceiling pull cord switch for her
electric shower in the bathroom and replace it with a normal 34 amp switch
outside the bathroom.

Are you sure 34A is enough (8kW shower or less)?

One site is right outside the bathroom door . The other would be in a
bedroom cupboard next to the bathroom. The cupboard switch would be harder
to get at.

Are there any regs about the placement of the switch apart for not in the
bathroom. We do not have part P in Scotland. So thats not a problem.

The switch needs to be an isolator (i.e. be two pole with sufficent
contact clearance). It needs some form of indicator such that you can
see when it is off. Ideally it ought to be in same room as the appliance
so that it can be seen at all times by someone maintaining the shower.
Although on the wall outside the door would probably also be OK in most
cases. If can be in the bathroom itself so long as it is in Zone 3 or
further away.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:58:07 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

That Bloke wrote:

[...]

So if you have a short narrow bathroom with a lowish ceiling you could be
stumped .??...but do these Zones apply in Scotland as Part P doesn't .Anyone
know .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
John Rumm writes:

The switch needs to be an isolator (i.e. be two pole with sufficent
contact clearance). It needs some form of indicator such that you can
see when it is off.

.... and this must still work when the power is off
(i.e. a mechanical indicator of the switch position,
not just a neon light)

Ideally it ought to be in same room as the appliance
so that it can be seen at all times by someone maintaining the shower.
Although on the wall outside the door would probably also be OK in most
cases. If can be in the bathroom itself so long as it is in Zone 3 or
further away.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 21:14:16 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Stuart wrote:
So if you have a short narrow bathroom with a lowish ceiling you could be
stumped .??...but do these Zones apply in Scotland as Part P doesn't .Anyone
know .

Yes, Scottish building standards require electrical installations to be
safe. Compliance with the IEE Regulations satisfies this requirement.
The Zones are part of the IEE Regulations.

Owain

Well I would think electrical installations should always be "safe" but I remain
to be convinced about all this ....I saw something else but can't recall where
that the IEE Regulations are only advisory ....If something was installed before
Zones were ever thought of it would probably be considered safe so why shouldnt
it still be if installed now the same way .

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Stuart wrote:

If something was installed before Zones were ever thought of it would
probably be considered safe so why shouldnt it still be if installed
now the same way .

No, because the standard was changed. Many things which were previously
considered safe or acceptable are no longer permitted for new
installation work.

OTOH the amendment to the wiring regs which introduced the zoning
concept was, for the most part, a relaxation of over-stringent requirements.

--
Andy