Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Default Electric Shower Switch

That Bloke wrote:

A friend has asked me to remove the ceiling pull cord switch for her
electric shower in the bathroom and replace it with a normal 34 amp switch
outside the bathroom.

Are you sure 34A is enough (8kW shower or less)?

One site is right outside the bathroom door . The other would be in a
bedroom cupboard next to the bathroom. The cupboard switch would be harder
to get at.

Are there any regs about the placement of the switch apart for not in the
bathroom. We do not have part P in Scotland. So thats not a problem.

The switch needs to be an isolator (i.e. be two pole with sufficent
contact clearance). It needs some form of indicator such that you can
see when it is off. Ideally it ought to be in same room as the appliance
so that it can be seen at all times by someone maintaining the shower.
Although on the wall outside the door would probably also be OK in most
cases. If can be in the bathroom itself so long as it is in Zone 3 or
further away.

--
Cheers,

John.