Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sean Delere

Default How to remove sticky label from chrome lights?

Major problem that some of you must have found an answer to over the years.

We have just bought three new light fittings which all have 12 stems for 12
bulbs. Every stem has 2 labels on them stating bulb size and warning it will
get hot.

All very useful information I am sure - but how the hell do you get these
things off. They peel off no problem but leave behind the glue. The fitting
is chrome plated.

So far we have tried Nail varnish remover, flash and sugar soap all with
limited success.

Any ideas please???

Sean

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Sean Delere wrote:
So far we have tried Nail varnish remover, flash and sugar soap all with
limited success.

White spirit or paraffin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

Sean Delere wrote:

Major problem that some of you must have found an answer to over the
years.
We have just bought three new light fittings which all have 12 stems
for 12 bulbs. Every stem has 2 labels on them stating bulb size and
warning it will get hot.

All very useful information I am sure - but how the hell do you get
these things off. They peel off no problem but leave behind the glue.
The fitting is chrome plated.

So far we have tried Nail varnish remover, flash and sugar soap all
with limited success.

Any ideas please???

Sean

You can buy a liquid called - wait for it - "Sticky Stuff Remover" which
usually does a good job on label residue. You can get it at places like
Lakeland.
http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/product.aspx/!8976
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

"Nemesis" wrote in message
Sean Delere wrote:
Major problem that some of you must have found an answer to over the
years.
We have just bought three new light fittings which all have 12 stems
for 12 bulbs. Every stem has 2 labels on them stating bulb size and
warning it will get hot.

All very useful information I am sure - but how the hell do you get
these things off. They peel off no problem but leave behind the glue.
The fitting is chrome plated.

So far we have tried Nail varnish remover, flash and sugar soap all
with limited success.

Any ideas please???

Meths
--
Nemesis

Nail polish remover (acetone?)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

ARWadsworth wrote:
"Nemesis" wrote in message
Sean Delere wrote:
Major problem that some of you must have found an answer to over the
years.
We have just bought three new light fittings which all have 12 stems
for 12 bulbs. Every stem has 2 labels on them stating bulb size and
warning it will get hot.

All very useful information I am sure - but how the hell do you get
these things off. They peel off no problem but leave behind the
glue. The fitting is chrome plated.

So far we have tried Nail varnish remover, flash and sugar soap all
with limited success.

Any ideas please???

Meths
--
Nemesis

Nail polish remover (acetone?)

Adam

You need specsavers mate. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
ARWadsworth wrote:
"Nemesis" wrote in message
Sean Delere wrote:
[...]

You will have to expand on that as I cannot see.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Sean Delere wrote:
Major problem that some of you must have found an answer to over the years.

We have just bought three new light fittings which all have 12 stems for 12
bulbs. Every stem has 2 labels on them stating bulb size and warning it will
get hot.

All very useful information I am sure - but how the hell do you get these
things off. They peel off no problem but leave behind the glue. The fitting
is chrome plated.

So far we have tried Nail varnish remover, flash and sugar soap all with
limited success.

Surprised nail varnish remover didn't work..cellulose thinners or white
spirit usually works.

Petrol works to IIRC.
Any ideas please???

Sean

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 18:57:11 UTC, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Sean Delere wrote:
So far we have tried Nail varnish remover

Nail polish remover (acetone?)

!!!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Marcus Fox

wrote:

Sean Delere wrote:
So far we have tried Nail varnish remover

Nail polish remover (acetone?)

There are two types - one is isopropyl alcohol and the other is acetone.

Marcus

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Sean Delere wrote:

All very useful information I am sure - but how the hell do you get these
things off. They peel off no problem but leave behind the glue. The fitting
is chrome plated.

Any ideas please???

I bet HF would remove it. Lighter fluid is more practical.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Harrison

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:02:20 GMT, "Sean Delere" wrote:

Major problem that some of you must have found an answer to over the years.

We have just bought three new light fittings which all have 12 stems for 12
bulbs. Every stem has 2 labels on them stating bulb size and warning it will
get hot.

All very useful information I am sure - but how the hell do you get these
things off. They peel off no problem but leave behind the glue. The fitting
is chrome plated.

So far we have tried Nail varnish remover, flash and sugar soap all with
limited success.

Any ideas please???

Sean

Dab off with sticky tape
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

wrote:

Major problem that some of you must have found an answer to over

the years.

We have just bought three new light fittings which all have 12

stems for 12
bulbs. Every stem has 2 labels on them stating bulb size and

warning it will
get hot.

All very useful information I am sure - but how the hell do you get

these
things off. They peel off no problem but leave behind the glue. The

fitting
is chrome plated.

So far we have tried Nail varnish remover, flash and sugar soap all

with
limited success.

Any ideas please???

Sean

Dab off with sticky tape

Lighter fluid - (the sort used in old fashioned cigarette lighters
that you top up with liquid and sold in a little yellow can with a
spout that seals) is absolutely brilliant for removing sticky labels

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John McLean

wrote:

[...]

I've used insect/fly spray in the past.
Jaymack

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John McLean

wrote:

[...]

The advantage of using insect/fky killer is that most households have a
can. Spray it on the glue and lleave for a few minutes, then wipe off.
Try it!
Jaymack

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sean Delere

Thanks for all the suggestions.

And the winner is ....................

White Spirit

Worked a treat - once again, many thanks for all the suggestions

Sean

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:
[...]

"The advantage of lighter fuel is that most households already have a can."

"The advantage of petrol is that most households already have a can".

"The advantage of a shot blasting machine is that most households
already have a can.."

Good grief...first of all there is nothing inherent in 'insect spray'
generically that means it will have a solvent that is usable in this
context, secondly of all the things 'most households have' I would say
that insect spray comes about as far down the list as a pressure washer.

I do love it when people reveal the incredibly narrow and blinkered
existence they lead by assuming that everyone else in the world is 'just
like them'

Jaymack

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Sean Delere wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

And the winner is ....................

White Spirit

Worked a treat - once again, many thanks for all the suggestions

Sean

Ah, but does every house have a bottle of it? ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Sean Delere, Sean_K wrote:
Reading all these suggestions and wondering why no one has given good old WD40
a try, well I just tried it (since its all I have anyway) and I can honesty
say the glue came off like a dream. Look no further: WD40

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ts-354512-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tee Hee very much depends on the glue though, I have ttried it on some
labels originally meant for floppy discs, and that is hardly affected at
all.
These are the very sticky sort not the removable ones.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Sean_K" m wrote in
message ...
replying to Sean Delere, Sean_K wrote:
Reading all these suggestions and wondering why no one has given good old
WD40
a try, well I just tried it (since it's all I have anyway) and I can
honesty
say the glue came off like a dream. Look no further: WD40

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ts-354512-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 June 2018 21:14:05 UTC+1, Sean_K wrote:
replying to Sean Delere, Sean_K wrote:
Reading all these suggestions and wondering why no one has given good old WD40
a try, well I just tried it (since its all I have anyway) and I can honesty
say the glue came off like a dream. Look no further: WD40

They did mention white spirit. Why would anyone buy it for 10x the price?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nail varnish remover was very good stuff, but these days I do not have a
source for it. It was also good for mending old 8mm movie film. I believe
its main ingredient was acetone.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 12/06/2018 21:55,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 June 2018 21:14:05 UTC+1, Sean_K wrote:
replying to Sean Delere, Sean_K wrote:
Reading all these suggestions and wondering why no one has given good
old WD40
a try, well I just tried it (since it's all I have anyway) and I can
honesty
say the glue came off like a dream. Look no further: WD40

They did mention white spirit. Why would anyone buy it for 10x the price?

Dunno... but since WD40 is not the same as white spirit, what does that
have to do with anything?

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nail salons have been one of the biggest areas of retail growth in
recent years so I strongly suspect there is one near you that might well
sell you some acetone.

On 13/06/2018 07:49, Brian Gaff wrote:
Nail varnish remover was very good stuff, but these days I do not have a
source for it. It was also good for mending old 8mm movie film. I believe
its main ingredient was acetone.
Brian

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 June 2018 01:36:16 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/06/2018 21:55, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 June 2018 21:14:05 UTC+1, Sean_K wrote:
replying to Sean Delere, Sean_K wrote:
Reading all these suggestions and wondering why no one has given good old WD40
a try, well I just tried it (since its all I have anyway) and I can honesty
say the glue came off like a dream. Look no further: WD40

They did mention white spirit. Why would anyone buy it for 10x the price?

Dunno... but since WD40 is not the same as white spirit, what does that
have to do with anything?

It's nearly 100% white spirit. The small amount of oil doesn't help with adhesive dissolving.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 07:59:32 +0100, Robin wrote:

Nail salons have been one of the biggest areas of retail growth in
recent years so I strongly suspect there is one near you that might well
sell you some acetone.

On 13/06/2018 07:49, Brian Gaff wrote:
Nail varnish remover was very good stuff, but these days I do not have a
source for it. It was also good for mending old 8mm movie film. I believe
its main ingredient was acetone.
Brian

Worth noting that nail varnish remover might have 'conditioner' in it (my
neighbour was going to put a full bottle in the bin - sparks in the truck as
it compacts the waste...!). I took it in case it would be useful, but I
wouldn't use it and then try to paint/glue the area without further
cleaning.
I don't know what the conditioner is but it won't leave a surface 'clean',
that's for certain.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2018 08:34, PeterC wrote:
snip

Worth noting that nail varnish remover might have 'conditioner' in it (my
neighbour was going to put a full bottle in the bin - sparks in the truck as
it compacts the waste...!). I took it in case it would be useful, but I
wouldn't use it and then try to paint/glue the area without further
cleaning.
I don't know what the conditioner is but it won't leave a surface 'clean',
that's for certain.

Very true of retail products. But many nail bars seem to use wholesale
acetone which doesn't have the smellies etc added. I know as I live
near a wholesale supplier to nail bars: "trade only" but folding
money/no receipt worked last time I wanted 5L of the cheap stuff

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Acetone aerosols are available from Screwfix et al, it is used for cleaning PU guns.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2018 07:59, Robin wrote:
Nail salons have been one of the biggest areas of retail growth in
recent years so I strongly suspect there is one near you that might well
sell you some acetone.

You are probably OK with an Irish name these days. As long as you don't
have dark skin and a black beard, and ask "By the way, do you have any
peroxide too?"

:-)

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 June 2018 09:27:07 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 13/06/2018 07:59, Robin wrote:

Nail salons have been one of the biggest areas of retail growth in
recent years so I strongly suspect there is one near you that might well
sell you some acetone.

You are probably OK with an Irish name these days. As long as you don't
have dark skin and a black beard, and ask "By the way, do you have any
peroxide too?"

:-)

people have gotten a lot more paranoid. My chemistry collection at age 9 would raise a panic today.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2018 07:49, Brian Gaff wrote:
Nail varnish remover was very good stuff, but these days I do not have a
source for it. It was also good for mending old 8mm movie film. I believe
its main ingredient was acetone.

Fibreglass suppliers are a good source.
Way cheaper than small bottles of nail polish remover I shouldn't wonder.

https://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co....chterm=acetone

--
https://www.GymRatZ.co.uk
UK's leading Gym Equipment supplier since 1999

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2018 07:49, Brian Gaff wrote:
Nail varnish remover was very good stuff, but these days I do not have a
source for it. It was also good for mending old 8mm movie film. I believe
its main ingredient was acetone.

A ready source of acetone are the cans of "foam cleaner" that the likes
of SF and TS sell for cleaning the gun grade foam from the applicators.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2018 08:06, wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 June 2018 01:36:16 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/06/2018 21:55, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 June 2018 21:14:05 UTC+1, Sean_K wrote:
replying to Sean Delere, Sean_K wrote:
Reading all these suggestions and wondering why no one has given good old WD40
a try, well I just tried it (since its all I have anyway) and I can honesty
say the glue came off like a dream. Look no further: WD40

They did mention white spirit. Why would anyone buy it for 10x the price?

Dunno... but since WD40 is not the same as white spirit, what does that
have to do with anything?

It's nearly 100% white spirit.

That's wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#Formulation

25% mineral oil

12€“18% low vapour pressure aliphatic hydrocarbon

"50% 'aliphatic hydrocarbons'. The manufacturer's website claims this
ratio in the current formulation cannot accurately be described as
Stoddard solvent"

So the closest you could claim is a 50% solvent content that is similar
to (but different from) white spirit.

Check the MSDS, you will note its a different hydrocarbon composition,
and a much lower aromatic content than most white spirit:

https://cdn.wd40company.eu/wd-40/en-...CT-AEROSOL.pdf

Hydrocarbons, C9-C11, n-alkanes, isoalkanes, cyclics, 2% aromatics

https://www.barrettinepro.co.uk/uplo...e%20Spirit.pdf

hydrocarbons, C9-C12, n-alkanes, isoalkanes, cyclics, aromatics (2-25%)

plus white spirit does not evaporate to leave the heavier oil residue
like WD40 does.

With white spirit the solvent is the product, with WD40 in many
applications the solvent is simply the bearer of the product.

The small amount of oil doesn't help with adhesive dissolving.

That's not even wrong.

The mineral oil *may* well help dissolving adhesive - depending on the
type of glue. However its a straw man, since it does nothing to support
the assertion that its just white spirit anyway.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2018 09:11, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Acetone aerosols are available from Screwfix et al, it is used for cleaning PU guns.

Good point. My only excuse for forgetting is that last time I used one
by hand for a lot of cleaning the can damn near froze to my hand.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 7:49:23 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Nail varnish remover was very good stuff, but these days I do not have a
source for it. It was also good for mending old 8mm movie film. I believe
its main ingredient was acetone.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 12/06/2018 21:55,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 June 2018 21:14:05 UTC+1, Sean_K wrote:
replying to Sean Delere, Sean_K wrote:
Reading all these suggestions and wondering why no one has given good
old WD40
a try, well I just tried it (since it's all I have anyway) and I can
honesty
say the glue came off like a dream. Look no further: WD40

They did mention white spirit. Why would anyone buy it for 10x the price?

Dunno... but since WD40 is not the same as white spirit, what does that
have to do with anything?

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

acetone is also used as a varnish thinner. I recently bought 1 litre of it from a specialist fibre glass supplier
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 8:59:46 AM UTC+1, Robin wrote:
On 13/06/2018 08:34, PeterC wrote:
snip

Worth noting that nail varnish remover might have 'conditioner' in it (my
neighbour was going to put a full bottle in the bin - sparks in the truck as
it compacts the waste...!). I took it in case it would be useful, but I
wouldn't use it and then try to paint/glue the area without further
cleaning.
I don't know what the conditioner is but it won't leave a surface 'clean',
that's for certain.

Very true of retail products. But many nail bars seem to use wholesale
acetone which doesn't have the smellies etc added. I know as I live
near a wholesale supplier to nail bars: "trade only" but folding
money/no receipt worked last time I wanted 5L of the cheap stuff

--
Robin

Cheap ? Its anything but cheap around here
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 June 2018 21:14:05 UTC+1, Sean_KÂ* wrote:
[...]

I'm giving up arguing with Tabs.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
Oh, and the last time I bought a label removal kit from Misco, the
solvent provided was mostly eucalyptus oil. Made the computer room smell
lovely.

Things called label removers generally have to be fairly safe on most
surfaces. Doubt there are many common solvents which would damage chrome.
Assuming chrome on metal, rather than plastic.

--
*I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-06-13, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/06/2018 08:06, wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 June 2018 01:36:16 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/06/2018 21:55, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 June 2018 21:14:05 UTC+1, Sean_K wrote:
replying to Sean Delere, Sean_K wrote:
Reading all these suggestions and wondering why no one has given good old WD40
a try, well I just tried it (since its all I have anyway) and I can honesty
say the glue came off like a dream. Look no further: WD40

They did mention white spirit. Why would anyone buy it for 10x the price?

Dunno... but since WD40 is not the same as white spirit, what does that
have to do with anything?

It's nearly 100% white spirit.

That's wrong:

[50 lines snipped]

i) It's tabbypurr, so no surprise there.

ii) The WD40 haters aren't much interested in facts.

Oh, and the last time I bought a label removal kit from Misco, the solvent
provided was mostly eucalyptus oil. Made the computer room smell lovely.

I think the one I have (ambersil) is some kind of citrus oil... seems to
work well.

--
Cheers,

John.