Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default How to remove sticky label from chrome lights?

John McLean wrote:
"Dan Evans" wrote in message
try white spirit

"John McLean" wrote in message
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
"Mike Harrison" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:02:20 GMT, "Sean Delere"
wrote:
Major problem that some of you must have found an answer to over
the years.
We have just bought three new light fittings which all have 12
stems for 12
bulbs. Every stem has 2 labels on them stating bulb size and
warning it will
get hot.

All very useful information I am sure - but how the hell do you get
these
things off. They peel off no problem but leave behind the glue. The
fitting
is chrome plated.

So far we have tried Nail varnish remover, flash and sugar soap all
with
limited success.

Any ideas please???

Sean

Dab off with sticky tape
Lighter fluid - (the sort used in old fashioned cigarette lighters
that you top up with liquid and sold in a little yellow can with a
spout that seals) is absolutely brilliant for removing sticky labels

AWEM

I've used insect/fly spray in the past.
Jaymack

The advantage of using insect/fky killer is that most households have a
can. Spray it on the glue and lleave for a few minutes, then wipe off.
Try it!

"The advantage of lighter fuel is that most households already have a can."

"The advantage of petrol is that most households already have a can".

"The advantage of a shot blasting machine is that most households
already have a can.."

Good grief...first of all there is nothing inherent in 'insect spray'
generically that means it will have a solvent that is usable in this
context, secondly of all the things 'most households have' I would say
that insect spray comes about as far down the list as a pressure washer.

I do love it when people reveal the incredibly narrow and blinkered
existence they lead by assuming that everyone else in the world is 'just
like them'

Jaymack