Posted to uk.d-i-y
JavaEnquirer

Default Do I need new radiators?

I'm upgrading my boiler to a condensing combi. The radiators and
pipework were installed about 20 years ago. I don't know much about
plumbing and I'm getting competing recommendatiosn from the plumbers
I've called in. All but one have said that I should replace my
radiators because even after flushing there's a risk that "muck" from
the system could damage the boiler. One said that this was nonsense and
that I need only replace the radiator valves because they don't look as
if they can take the pressure the new bioler is going to deliver.

Any advice? Many thanks in advance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On 29 Mar 2006 01:50:10 -0800, "JavaEnquirer"
wrote:

I'm upgrading my boiler to a condensing combi. The radiators and
pipework were installed about 20 years ago. I don't know much about
plumbing and I'm getting competing recommendatiosn from the plumbers
I've called in. All but one have said that I should replace my
radiators because even after flushing there's a risk that "muck" from
the system could damage the boiler. One said that this was nonsense and
that I need only replace the radiator valves because they don't look as
if they can take the pressure the new bioler is going to deliver.

Any advice? Many thanks in advance.

On similar lines someone on here suggested that if I was replacing my
boiler that I should get the microbore system ( I would be renewing
the rads) flushed out ....not powerflushed tho'

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

JavaEnquirer wrote:

I'm upgrading my boiler to a condensing combi. The radiators and
pipework were installed about 20 years ago. I don't know much about
plumbing and I'm getting competing recommendatiosn from the plumbers
I've called in. All but one have said that I should replace my
radiators because even after flushing there's a risk that "muck" from
the system could damage the boiler. One said that this was nonsense and
that I need only replace the radiator valves because they don't look as
if they can take the pressure the new bioler is going to deliver.

Any advice? Many thanks in advance.

If your rads have been looked after (i.e. inhibitor has been used in the
system in the past), then there is no reason they should need
replacement at that age. The chap who suggested that the valves may not
be up to it however may have been right, so you could swap them all out
first, or pressurise it first and see what happens. If you need to add
Thermostatic Radiator Valves (TRV) to lots of rads then you may as well
do the lockshield valves at the same time to save potential hassle
later. Note that when I converted my system of a similar age from vented
to sealed all of the lockshield valves survived without any problemm so
I just added TRVs to a couple of rads that needed them.

If the rads are on their last legs then conveting to a pressurised
system probably will advance the onset of their demise, but it won't do
anything that would not have happened soon anyway.

As to "muck" in the system, one ought to add a flushing agent to the
existing system a couple of weeks before decomissioning. Then flush it
well when the new system is installed, and treat with inhibitor. A
strainer should also be fitted to the return on the boiler to catch any
debris before it gets into the boiler. However if you have done the
first bits correctly, there ought not be much if any debris to get to
the boiler in the first place. (subsequent inspections of the strainer
on my system revealed one singlular grain of rust or debris and nothing
else in the following two years!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

JavaEnquirer wrote:

I'm upgrading my boiler to a condensing combi. The radiators and
pipework were installed about 20 years ago. I don't know much about
plumbing and I'm getting competing recommendatiosn from the plumbers
I've called in. All but one have said that I should replace my
radiators because even after flushing there's a risk that "muck" from
the system could damage the boiler. One said that this was nonsense
and that I need only replace the radiator valves because they don't
look as if they can take the pressure the new bioler is going to
deliver.

Any advice? Many thanks in advance.

If the radiators are in good condition, there's no need to renew then. But
they'll have to be disconnected in order to change the valves, so the
opportunity should be taken to take them outside and give them a really good
wash out with a hose pipe.

For a condensing boiler to work at its maximum efficiency, the water
temperature needs to be lower than at present - which reduces the capacity
of the radiators. For this reason alone, you may wish to replace some or all
of the radiators for larger capacity ones. Replacing non-finned with finned
of the same physical size increases the heat output by about 50% - which
would compensate for the lower water temperature.

However, it would be advisible to do a heat-loss calculation for the whole
house, plus a sanity check on radiator capacities. It may well be that the
standard of insulation - loft insulation, cavity wall insulation, double
glazing - has been improved since the heating system was installed, so the
existing radiators may have some spare capacity relative to the current
losses.
--
Cheers,
Roger